Pokemon X and Y Update and Discussion Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#801 Edited by HowlingLotus (425 posts) -

My night is planned out. Pokemon Y, Kindle Fire to set up, and 11 hockey games tonight. Life is good today :D

Heh. I see they have usernames showing in full now.... too bad the s at the end of mine gets pushed down on the next line :'(

#802 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

I can't afford any potions because I spent all my money on clothing... This is gonna be tough.

#803 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

To think I was gonna spend my whole weekend NOT playing this. Some initial thoughts:

The presentation is so awesome and the music... the music and sounds are amazing!

Saving is super fast compared to Gen 4 and 5.

I usually turn off battle animations to speed things up but they look so nice now.

Super Training is gonna be great for EVs; it'll be nice to reset the EVs of my team once i've beaten the game and train them properly for endgame. First time ever where I don't have to put away my in-game Pokemon and train a new batch for the Battle Facility.

Lastly, I don't care what people say, Chespin is the best! =D

#804 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Saving is amazing now. *____*

I'm sure everyone hated waiting 20 seconds for those "Saving a lot of data" moments.

#805 Edited by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@moltenix said:

I'm sure everyone hated waiting 20 seconds for those "Saving a lot of data" moments.

Is it just me or is the Pokemon Center a bit faster too? Healing 6 at once seems really quick.

#806 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

@moltenix said:

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@moltenix said:

Is it just me or is the Pokemon Center a bit faster too? Healing 6 at once seems really quick.

Yeah, the animation is faster as well. Much appreciated.

#807 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

Btw, for anyone further ahead, is an HM slave necessary?

You didn't need one at all in Gen 5 aside from the useful stuff like Surf and Fly.

#808 Posted by REVOLUTIONfreak (18139 posts) -

Does anyone else feel like the movement is really non-fluid? I don't really understand the need for the grid-based layout anymore ... all it does is make the game feel more antiquated than it actually is.

#809 Posted by JustBoomer (184 posts) -

Well I am playing Pokemon X and loving the game, the full screen and the game in general is AWESOME.

#810 Edited by HowlingLotus (425 posts) -

@REVOLUTIONfreak said:

Does anyone else feel like the movement is really non-fluid? I don't really understand the need for the grid-based layout anymore ... all it does is make the game feel more antiquated than it actually is.

I was going to mention this. It isn't the end of the world, but the movement wasn't nearly what I thought it would be.

Solid all around so far though. Right off the bat you can notice a difference in visuals and style from last gen. That first battle it was just like... woah.... :D

#811 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

Scraggy Hordes are the most evil thing possible this early in the game.

#812 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

I can't wait for Quilladin to evolve; he looks terrible compared to Chespin and Chesnaught. At least he's an absolute tank so far, I picked an Impish nature so his defence is insane.

#813 Edited by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

If I want to make this game challenging at all, should I turn the EXP off or does it not matter?

#814 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

If I want to make this game challenging at all, should I turn the EXP off or does it not matter?

I actually really like the EXP Share in this game.

1. It reduces the time spent grinding.

2. The non-battling Pokemon only gain 50% of the exp so if you really want to level up a certain Pokemon faster, you'll still need to use it.

3. I haven't reached the second gym yet so I keep a bunch of filler Pokemon in my party. It's nice to have them level up a bit too; I get Pokedex entries from having them evolve and maybe i'll run into something I didn't know I wanted on my team.

4. In general, it encourages you to try out different Pokemon. The selection of Pokemon in the wild in this game is much better than previous games. If you end up not liking something, at least the Pokemon you actually want to use gained some exp along the way as well.

5. In previous games, whenever I encountered a trainer battle, i'd often have to decide who I want to use so that I don't end up "wasting" the extra exp from the trainer battle. Like sometimes I would forget to switch to a Pokemon who could really use some extra exp to catch up. With XY, I don't need to worry about that as much.

You could argue it'll make the game easier but i'm enjoying the benefits of it right now.

#815 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Is there a list of grass type Pokemon in X&Y? I just realized I have Fletchling, Litleo, Torchic and Charmander as my fire types. I have Froakie as my water type. I need a grass type ... that isn't lame.

#816 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, turn it off. Many of my pokemon wouldn't at their current level if it wasn't for the EXP Share. If I turned it off, I would have spent more time grinding and encountering trainers with pokemon much stronger than mine.

#817 Edited by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@Haziqonfire said:

Is there a list of grass type Pokemon in X&Y? I just realized I have Fletchling, Litleo, Torchic and Charmander as my fire types. I have Froakie as my water type. I need a grass type ... that isn't lame.

Aside from the Grass starter, I find that having a grass type on the team isn't terribly useful in most Pokemon games. You're usually better off with something like Ground, Fighting, Ghost, Steel, Psychic, Dark.

#818 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

@Haziqonfire said:

Maybe catch a Budew in Route 4?

#819 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

PSS is incredible. A friend texted me saying that he was having difficulties in a battle and I sent him 3 O-Powers. The boost in Attack, Defense, and Sp. Atk were given to him instantly and allowed him to win.

#820 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

Did I miss HM Cut or do you just get it very late? :S

#821 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Did I miss HM Cut or do you just get it very late? :S

You find HM Cut in Parfum Palace's garden.

#822 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

Oh god... I've entered the most terrifying cave in the entire franchise...

The Zubat Roost. Zubats and Zubat hordes everywhere.

#823 Posted by HowlingLotus (425 posts) -

Only got just a little past the first gym before focusing all my attention on one of the hockey games.

Is there a way to turn the roller blades off permanently? I don't mind them, but they are annoying in tight places. I did notice if you press down on the D-pad it will remove them, but you have to walk using the D-pad for it to stay that way. As soon as I go to use the analog stick.

I didn't really pay TOO much attention to the leaks and information Nintendo released leading up to pre-launch. I'm attempting to build my team consisting of new Pokemon only. This will be interesting as I don't know all of the new Pokemons types yet. That and some Pokemon I haven't seen for ages and forgetting what type they are. All part of what makes it fun. Hopefully nothing important can be missed.

#824 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
@moltenix said:

@Haziqonfire said:

Aside from the Grass starter, I find that having a grass type on the team isn't terribly useful in most Pokemon games. You're usually better off with something like Ground, Fighting, Ghost, Steel, Psychic, Dark.

Really?

I thought it might be good to have a water, grass and fire. I've never really used a grass type before in previous games, so I figured I might give it a try now.

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@Haziqonfire said:

Maybe catch a Budew in Route 4?

Actually, I managed to trade with some stranger. I had an extra Litleo Lv. 6, I traded for a Skiddo Lv. 9. Gogoat might not be so bad ...

#825 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -

Anyone else disappointed there's only 69 new pokemon in the game?

#826 Posted by Minishdriveby (10030 posts) -

@Soulreavercross said:

Kinda, sort of, but not really because they loaded the early routes to the brim with almost every pokemon I love from previous generations. It's hard to pick who to train. It would have been nice for a new legendary trio instead of the gen 1 birds.

#827 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

I got the game and my 3DS FC is 2680-9032-0245

#828 Edited by Yoweeh (3025 posts) -

I've been playing it since I got it at midnight. I'm trying to get my Eevee maxed out in AMie so I can get a Sylveon.

#829 Edited by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -

12 hours in, already got my mega ring or whatever it's called, plus a lucarionite. dumped the lucario that came with it though, because mine has counter. and counter > metal sound. plus i raised that one.

don't know where people got their eevees, but i don't really care at the moment.

game's surprisingly tough if you keep your pokemon in the level range of the trainers. the whole thing is balanced around the exp share, so even though i use it, i'm still usually within the level range of the trainers. only gym i breezed through was the third one, where my gardevoir just steamrolled everything (f*cking thing finally paid off, always fell behind on the party average level and died too easily).

speaking of gyms, i don't like the new gym leader battle theme. sounds like a rejected F-zero GX track, instead of something awesome and fast paced and thrilling like, i don't know, every other gym leader battle theme ever.

really like the game overall (far better than anything gen 5 could put out), amazing variety of pokemons make it actually hard to choose who you want to keep in your party. never filled a party so quickly before. great pacing too, if 12 hours in i just arrived at the 4th gym. it feels content-packed. just wish there were more clothing stores, and that i could preview my haircut with accuracy (sticking to the default black one, since it's kinda how my hair is anyway).

EDIT: as for whoever asked if an HM slave is needed. so far, cut leads to secret items, strength opens shortcuts (and secret items), and surf is necessary to cross a gap right after you get the HM. conveniently, there's a dude that hands over a lapras if you're in need of a water poke to cross the river. you get to keep the lapras too.

#830 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
@Soulreavercross said:

Not really. Actually, I prefer what they did: less new pokemon, more old pokemon to catch.

#831 Edited by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

@Haziqonfire said:

Really?

I thought it might be good to have a water, grass and fire. I've never really used a grass type before in previous games, so I figured I might give it a try now.

Yeah, Grass has always been a pretty horrendous typing overall because of its pitiful defensive resistances (no one uses what it's strong against besides Water) and lackluster offensive coverage.

Nothing you already don't know, but Grass types are pretty only popular because they're easy to draw ideas from in the real world, making some pretty damn cool Pokemon and thus getting lots of decent moves. If anything, just keep a few Grass moves on a non-Grass type for the rare coverage case until you get an Electric type for Water opponents.

I'm actually using a Grass type this generation as well though (lol) because Gogoat looks fucking awesome. Otherwise, the only other Grass one I think I used was in my nth replay of the third gen (Sceptile) and one of my favorites ever (Torterra).

#832 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
@Blabadon said:

Yeah, Grass has always been a pretty horrendous typing overall because of its pitiful defensive resistances (no one uses what it's weak against besides Water) and lackluster offensive coverage.

Nothing you already don't know, but Grass types are pretty only popular because they're easy to draw ideas from in the real world, making some pretty damn cool Pokemon and thus getting lots of decent moves. If anything, just keep a few Grass moves on a non-Grass type for the rare coverage case until you get an Electric type for Water opponents.

I'm actually using a Grass type this generation as well though (lol) because Gogoat looks fucking awesome. Otherwise, the only other Grass one I think I used was in my nth replay of the third gen (Sceptile) and one of my favorites ever (Torterra).

Yeah, I've started using Skiddo so we'll see how it goes. I was really tempted to pick Chespin as my starter or Bulbasaur, but I ended up with Froakie and Charmander.

I think I'm better off lol.

#833 Edited by moltenix (2487 posts) -

Am I just really slow or is there a big gap between 1st and 2nd gym? Around 8 hours in and no second gym yet. Although I do get distracted and try to catch every new Pokemon in each new area. Is the rest of the game like this? :S

Current Team: Quilladin, Charmeleon, Snorlax (temp, although she brings back good memories), Honedge (Good typing but actually pretty bad at this point in the game; slow and not that great moves), Fletchinder (Not bad but i'll probably end up replacing it)

#834 Edited by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

My current team is Frogadier, Ivysaur, Cumbusken, Linoone, Vivillion, and Pigeotto.

I might change some of them out soon this is basically my first six Pokémon. I did have Bidoof but I swapt him out for Bulbasaur.

#835 Edited by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Am I just really slow or is there a big gap between 1st and 2nd gym? Around 8 hours in and no second gym yet. Although I do get distracted and try to catch every new Pokemon in each new area. Is the rest of the game like this? :S

It is a little gap between them you go to atleast 3 different towns before you get to the 2nd Gym.

#836 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@Nintendo_Ownes7 said:

My current team is Frogadier, Ivysaur, Cumbusken, Linoone, Vivillion, and Pigeotto.

I might change some of them out soon this is basically my first six Pokémon. I did have Bidoof but I swapt him out for Bulbasaur.

That reminds me, I still need to get my Torchic!

#837 Edited by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -

how do you get the torchic again? can't be bothered to look it up :P

#838 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

@BrunoBRS said:

When you boot the game up again click the mystery gift option.

#839 Edited by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -

@Haziqonfire said:

@BrunoBRS said:

When you boot the game up again click the mystery gift option.

there.

for some reason i thought it was something like "go to gamestop on a specific date"

#840 Edited by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

I was going to go with Froakie, Torchic, and Bulbasaur but this Torchic will be male so I cannot breed it for ability. So I will wait until later to properly EV train it. I hope Game Freak gives us a DW Bulbasaur too.

#841 Posted by spike6958 (4837 posts) -

Anyone know the purpose of tips yet? I've heard that giving tips actually increases your chances of finding shiny Pokemon, but I've not seen anything confirming it, and it seems like a waste of money otherwise.

#842 Edited by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -

@Sora278 said:

I was going to go with Froakie, Torchic, and Bulbasaur but this Torchic will be male so I cannot breed it for ability. So I will wait until later to properly EV train it. I hope Game Freak gives us a DW Bulbasaur too.

i think you can reset EVs now, once you beat the game.

@spike6958 said:

Anyone know the purpose of tips yet? I've heard that giving tips actually increases your chances of finding shiny Pokemon, but I've not seen anything confirming it, and it seems like a waste of money otherwise.

i like giving tips to people i find useful, and don't bother with tips to random people that don't deserve it. so like real life tips :P

#843 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Oh I know that now. I had no idea in the EV training minigames that you can just reset them like that.

#844 Posted by gurudamus88 (6 posts) -

Wouldnt it be awesome if they made a pokemon game like all the blues and reds etc for the wii u or cross platform one you can play on the tv

#845 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@Sora278 said:

Oh I know that now. I had no idea in the EV training minigames that you can just reset them like that.

Yeah, one of the punching bags that you get as a reward is to reset EVs. Very handy since we can use Pokemon during the main story without worrying about screwing up their EVs. It'll be nice not having to box the Pokemon that you just finished the game with.

#846 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

Oh snap, I just realized that Skrelp evolves into Poison/Dragon. I kept thinking it was Water/Poison. There's no other Gen 6 Water Pokemon besides Froakie and Clauncher. Shoulda went for Squirtle instead of Charmander!

#847 Posted by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Oh snap, I just realized that Skrelp evolves into Poison/Dragon. I kept thinking it was Water/Poison. There's no other Gen 6 Water Pokemon besides Froakie and Clauncher. Shoulda went for Squirtle instead of Charmander!

you can get a lapras right after the third gym. someone gives you for free.

#848 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

@BrunoBRS said:

@moltenix said:

you can get a lapras right after the third gym. someone gives you for free.

I was hoping to stick with mostly Gen 6 pokemon + 1 Megaevolution. Guess I might need to re-think that. Or I could trade someone for Clauncher and use that instead of Skrelp; it seems pretty cool.

#849 Posted by finalstar2007 (25297 posts) -

Would anyone mind doing some trading with me? im trying to get all 3 starters and all i need is someone to trade with so i can send him/her the two starters then i'll get them back once i get the last starter it shouldnt take more than 15 minutes.

FC is: 2895-7472-0447

#850 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4770 posts) -

I enjoyed XY's story much more than BW's. Simply beautiful.

Now to finally start EV training.