Pokemon X and Y Update and Discussion Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#651 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

makes it sound like pants and torso are bound together, and no color option. hmm...BrunoBRS

Well if you were worried about that a new Japanese trailer suggests that there will be more than enough options for clothing.

ta20WqI.png

#653 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4100 posts) -
I was surprised to see a commercial for the game tonight. It was pretty cheesy. :P Did anyone else see it?
#654 Posted by Bardock47 (5217 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bardock47"]

quick question: I just got back into pokemon 2 years ago with soulsilver, and I followed it up with Platinum. I havent played any of the fith gen, so is there anyway to get my team from soulsilver/platinum to X/Y without black/white?

TheShadowLord07

no you need to get the gen 5 games to transfer your pokemon to gen 6. 

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

#655 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4676 posts) -

I was surprised to see a commercial for the game tonight. It was pretty cheesy. :P Did anyone else see it?Toxic-Seahorse
For those who hasn't seen it yet.

I really like it. It looks like they're trying to attract the older crowd with teenage actors and the epic music. The different accents and locations emphasizes the worldwide release. Real actors + CG pokemon reminds me of the Red and Blue commercials (except they used to be cartoons instead of CG). Good job, Ninty!

"2D game with some 3D game play" English confirmation. Better late than never.

#656 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Only Battles are 3D not the overworld itself ? That rightly sucks.

#657 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]makes it sound like pants and torso are bound together, and no color option. hmm...metroidfood

Well if you were worried about that a new Japanese trailer suggests that there will be more than enough options for clothing.

ta20WqI.png

weeeeeeee!!!!

now that my first worry is settled, i must say, the boy looks like he has some really crappy options, while the girl gets all the cool ones. almost makes me want to play the girl just for the dressing >.>

#658 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]I was surprised to see a commercial for the game tonight. It was pretty cheesy. :P Did anyone else see it?ANIMEguy10034

I really like it. It looks like they're trying to attract the older crowd with teenage actors and the epic music. The different accents and locations emphasizes the worldwide release. Real actors + CG pokemon reminds me of the Red and Blue commercials (except they used to be cartoons instead of CG). Good job, Ninty!

that "epic" music and live action footage... followed by the cuddliest pokemon they could find :P
#659 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Blake135

What are you talking about?

#660 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22110 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

sonictrainer

What are you talking about?

theres only 3D in the battles. its been old news since last month. 

#661 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

9822905913_e113e21438.jpg

• "Tyrantrum" is Tyrunt's Evolution.
  • Its Ability and Typing is unchanged.

Aurorus

• Aurorus is Amuaru's Evolution
  • Aurorus can learn a new Ice Type attack called "Freeze Dry", which can freeze opponents and is super effective against Water Type Pokemon.

Other News
  • Once you catch a Wild Pokemon, all Pokemon that participated will earn Experience!
  • No Kalos Pokemon will receive Mega Evolutions
#662 Posted by mbrockway (3353 posts) -
Fennekin evolves into Teeruna/Braixen which has a skirt and a freaking magic wand for casting fireball. *_* I will never ever touch the other starters, and I will roll as many times as necessary to get a female one. God I pray its a Fire/Fairy type. I can't wait for this, I am suddenly even more excited.
#663 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (194 posts) -

• "Tyrantrum" is Tyrunt's Evolution.
  • Its Ability and Typing is unchanged.

Aurorus

• Aurorus is Amuaru's Evolution
  • Aurorus can learn a new Ice Type attack called "Freeze Dry", which can freeze opponents and is super effective against Water Type Pokemon.

Other News

• Once you catch a Wild Pokemon, all Pokemon that participated will earn Experience!
  • No Kalos Pokemon will receive Mega Evolutions

sonictrainer

It's too bad you can't have both of them at first. And I'm liking that Freeze Dry move. Take that, Water types!

#664 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

New Information from IGN:

As someone who has played Pokémon since its original releases, the first thing I noticed about Pokémon X and Y was something that might seem minor to the uninitiated you can hold down B to run from the very beginning of the game, rather than waiting until youre given a pair of running shoes. It doesn't sound like much, but those who have slogged through the intros of Pokémon games time and time again while enduring your trainers languid initial walk speed will be as ecstatic as I was.

Its these bits of streamlining that stood out to me the most in the preview session of Pokémon X/Y. I was able to go through the first hour or so of the finished ROM, and rather than bogging me down with explanatory text and justification for my trainers Pokémon journey, the game seemed determined to get me out and catching critters as soon as possible. I headed to town, met a group of friends/rivals, picked my starter Pokémon, took a letter from Professor Sequoia back to my mom, and I was running off with a satchelful of potions and Pokeballs.

The contrast between Pokémon X/Y's first hour and those of previous games was so stark that I asked game director Junichi Masuda, who had flown in from Japan along with graphic and Pokémon designer Hironobu Yoshida, about the newly expedited startup process.

"Throughout the development of previous Pokémon titles, we've had the philosophy that when you have something that increases convenience, you kind of want to make the player feel a little bit inconvenienced before that," Masuda-san said. "When you do get that new feature, it feels even more convenient as a result! But this time, we have a new item the roller skates that yet you zip around quite a bit faster. So thats why we gave you the running shoes right from the beginning. Of course, new players might not know that, but we didnt really spell it out in an explanation...you find it out, along with other gameplay hints, by talking with NPCs or talking to real-life friends."

Pokémon X and Y is perhaps the most ambitious Pokémon title since the Game Boy original, and its filled with these sorts of changes, great and small alike, to a long-established formula. Perhaps most notably, its the first Poké-title to get a simultaneous worldwide release. "We had a much higher number of staff just on the localization side as a result," Masuda continued. "We also had a specialized team of the Pokémon Company based in London focused on working on the FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish) language localizations. We brought on more staff there to translate the Japanese directly into those languages, rather than basing those localizations off the English script. Its really exciting for players around the world to have the opportunity to finally experience the discoveries of a Pokémon game together."

Beyond the simultaneous release, one of the most-discussed changes to Pokémon X/Y is the shift to fully 3D visuals in both exploration and battle sequences. I was struck by how different many areas of the game looked from my expectations of a fully cel-shaded, cartoony world; many of the backgrounds have a visual style inspired by classic art landscapes. I wondered if the choice to base Kalos on France a country known for its art culture had anything to do with the new visual elements.

"One of the themes of Pokémon X and Y is beauty - Kalos is actually the ancient Greek word for beauty and I thought France fit that ideal. I've travelled in my own time to places for inspiration, and France really stuck out in my mind. One of the reasons we base Pokémon settings on real-world places is that we think itd be fun for players to discover real-world similarities. Its less about finding famous places and more about finding locales that would work well in-game."

"Was the shift to 3D a challenge? Yes," said Yoshida. "The biggest hurdle was translating the established 2D art style of (longtime Pokémon artist) Ken Sugimori into a 3D world. He has a distinct style of linework and shading that we wanted to faithfully translate into 3D. We didn't want to go for a completely realistic style; instead, we wanted to convey the softness and warmth of these designs. I think it helps accentuate the aspects of the Pokémon."

But while there are some big changes, there are a few odd quirks in the design that seem rather out-of-place at first. Though you can control your trainer on the map using the 3DS Circle Pad, the character still moves even diagonally on a square-based grid akin to previous Pokémon games, making the movement take a bit of getting used to. "We always reconsider the movement for each game," Masuda replied. "The grid-based movement is to allow players to better understand positioning in the world. That way players know exactly where they need to step to, say, begin a battle, or enter a house."

There's also the limited use of 3D visuals most of the game, outside of certain cinematics and battle sequences, is displayed as flat 2D. "We chose not to use 3D in areas where we wanted to put more focus on the games beauty. We also felt that using 3D sparingly would make it have more impact when it did show up."

Besides the starter Pokémon, I got to see (and catch) a few of the games new creatures. Besides old favorites Panpour and Zigzagoon, I was introduced to Bunnelby (a Normal-type rabbit Pokémon), Fletchling (your typical early-game Flying bird pokemon), and a buck-toothed insect called Scatterbug. With over 600 distinct Pokémon species, I wondered how the creation process worked, so I asked Yoshida the designer of fan favorites like Darkrai and Celebi for details.

"It's extremely difficult to come up with fresh Pokémon designs each time," responded Yoshida. "Usually we start out by focusing on the games' setting this time, its inspired by France, so we looked at things you could find in that area. We'll also come up with ideas for new skills, and imagine the types of Pokémon that would use them. We might even have a new evolution method like this game's Mega Evolutions and then come up with a design that would fit that evolution method. We've even had cases where we've thought of footprints first, and then brainstormed what kind of Pokémon would create it!"

My time with X and Y, though brief, was enlightening. Yet one question still stuck in my mind. Pokémon generations have always featured naming schemes where the sets of games are opposite yet complementary they are all sets of things, but they could be viewed as opposites to each other: Red, Blue, and Yellow; Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. I had seen X and Y as following this scheme, with X and Y being the female and male chromosomes, respectively. The feminine grace of Xerneas and the fierce, masculine image of Yveltal cemented this association in my mind. But it turned out my assumptions were completely wrong.

"The names of X and Y represent the philosophy we had behind the two games," explained Yoshida. "We've taken the idea of X and Y from the geometric X- and Y-axes. They represent two different ways of thought. At the same time, we want to convey a message encouraging people to find a common ground, where X and Y converge."

When I explained my theory to Masuda, he seemed bemused. Xerneas is meant to evoke imagery of eternity, while Yveltal is destruction. Perhaps you could see some ties between feminine and masculine qualities there!IGN

#665 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Great so after all the crap they confirmed X and Y axis instead of going with chromosomes, great.  And could they not give us bullcrap?  They did not want to do the work for the 3D, no one is falling for it.

#666 Posted by HowlingLotus (389 posts) -

sonictrainer

Cursed by his tiny arms..... I guess someone can't clap if they're happy and they know it. :P.

#667 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
I always loved the designs of the fossil pokemon, these are no different. Possibly my favorite so far.
#668 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
well glad that i can settle on which fossil i want so ahead of time. gen 4 and 5's fossils were pretty lame.
#669 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Whaaaaat?  I loved Gen 5's fossils!  Sure Carracosta did not really look much like a fossil Pokemon (more like any given tortoise) still kilometres ahead of Cradily or Omastar (never liked him) and Archeops is my second favourite fossil design after Kabutops.  I just really always loved the idea of fossil Pokemon. XD

#670 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Update (11:30 AM): With thanks to KurowaSan for the translation, an interview with Eurogamer has revealed that there will be a greater variety of wild Pokemon in the grass. The idea is that each time you enter tall grass, they want you to find a different Pokemon. Also, depending on the color of the flowers in the tall grass, the ratio of the Pokemon encounters and their types are different. Masuda also stated that there might be an easier way to obtain Shiny Pokemon, while Yoshida said that they wanted to make a Shiny Pokemon's color stand out more.

Pokebeach

Interesting

#671 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

sonictrainer

uDMX1kY.gif

Holy shit I need it

#672 Posted by zeroyaoi (1881 posts) -
The wait is almost over. I'm leaning towards x.
#673 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

Whaaaaat?  I loved Gen 5's fossils!  Sure Carracosta did not really look much like a fossil Pokemon (more like any given tortoise) still kilometres ahead of Cradily or Omastar (never liked him) and Archeops is my second favourite fossil design after Kabutops.  I just really always loved the idea of fossil Pokemon. XD

Sora278
honestly, kabutops and armaldo are the only fossils i ever liked.
#674 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (194 posts) -

Great so after all the crap they confirmed X and Y axis instead of going with chromosomes, great.  And could they not give us bullcrap?  They did not want to do the work for the 3D, no one is falling for it.

Sora278

I actually kinda prefer that they went with the X/Y axis thing instead of of the chromosome thing. It's not the best thing ever, but at least they have other little themes in there like beauty and eternity vs. destruction (although it could viewed as the cycle of life and death). Not like its a huge deal anyway.

And yeah, its obvious they didn't wanna do the work for the 3D. But I can't blame them, and I don't care about the 3DS's 3D effect anyway.

#675 Posted by TopStarRacer (5732 posts) -

I don't care about wether the games will be in "3D". The 3D designs/overworld is more than enough for me to enjoy the games.

#676 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

I actually kinda prefer that they went with the X/Y axis thing instead of of the chromosome thing. It's not the best thing ever, but at least they have other little themes in there like beauty and eternity vs. destruction (although it could viewed as the cycle of life and death). Not like its a huge deal anyway.

And yeah, its obvious they didn't wanna do the work for the 3D. But I can't blame them, and I don't care about the 3DS's 3D effect anyway.

EnoshimaJunko

I think doing the X/Y axis is just way too obvious, not to mention the chromosomes in the Japanese logo but that was probably just their way of foreshadowing Mega evolutions in hindsight.  Like come on, and I bet Z will be in 3D because Z is depth.  I do care about the 3D though, I play every 3DS game in 3D except Tales of the Abyss because they did not even try to make it in 3D.

#677 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]I was surprised to see a commercial for the game tonight. It was pretty cheesy. :P Did anyone else see it?ANIMEguy10034

I just saw the commercial on Adult Swim.

#678 Posted by Inferi-Fang (71 posts) -
Tyrantrum has got to have a massive attack stat.
#679 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Heads up, Trainers! A new evolved Pokémon will be revealed exclusively on our Facebook page on Wednesday, September 25! Can you guess which Pokémon we'll be showing next?Facebook

Stay Tuned! :D

#680 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Facebook"]Heads up, Trainers! A new evolved Pokémon will be revealed exclusively on our Facebook page on Wednesday, September 25! Can you guess which Pokémon we'll be showing next?sonictrainer

Final evolutions of the Starters?

Edit* If it is just a single Pokémon it could be a new Eeveelution so it could be a Dragontype evolution for Eevee.

#681 Posted by spike6958 (4686 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]

[QUOTE="Facebook"]Heads up, Trainers! A new evolved Pokémon will be revealed exclusively on our Facebook page on Wednesday, September 25! Can you guess which Pokémon we'll be showing next?Nintendo_Ownes7

Final evolutions of the Starters?

Edit* If it is just a single Pokémon it could be a new Eeveelution so it could be a Dragontype evolution for Eevee.

I hope so. Something does seem off about there only been one Eeveelutiuon been added in the game.
#682 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22110 posts) -

I'm not sure if if this is real but someone has their hands on both games. lots info of the game. only froakie's last evolution is leak.

linkc

could be the greatest mock ups if it turns out to be fake. though I don't see team flare on their. there is no picture of the retail game or manual on there, just the case

#683 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

I'm not sure if if this is real but someone has their hands on both games. lots info of the game. only froakie's last evolution is leak.

linkc

could be the greatest mock ups if it turns out to be fake. though I don't see team flare on their. there is no picture of the retail game or manual on there, just the case

TheShadowLord07

Whatever it was got removed.

#684 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4676 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

linkc

sonictrainer

Whatever it was got removed.

EDIT#2: Meh, he revealed that he's just a big fraud. Carry on, guys. :\

#685 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Doublade

This is Honedge's Evolution. It's typing and ability stays the same.

#686 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4676 posts) -

I wonder what's their purpose of revealing the honedge family by itself? Is it the pseudo legendary for Kalos?

I wonder what the final evolution looks like. Gamefreak likes threes and their names go from hONEdge to DOUblade.

#687 Posted by HowlingLotus (389 posts) -

I wonder how early into the game we can trade? I decided to get both versions at launch this time and might fill half my team with the 3 Gen VI starters. Being able to get Gen I starters as well is awesome, but I've used them so much there isn't any real surprise value there.  

#688 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

I wonder how early into the game we can trade? I decided to get both versions at launch this time and might fill half my team with the 3 Gen VI starters. Being able to get Gen I starters as well is awesome, but I've used them so much there isn't any real surprise value there.  

HowlingLotus

Hopefully, unlike in Black/White/2, you can start trading before beating the first gym, however I don't think that will be the case.

#689 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

Doublade

sonictrainer
now that's just lazy.
#690 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (194 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]

Doublade

BrunoBRS

now that's just lazy.

Eh, its not the first time they've been lazy about evolutions. Magnemite's evolution? Glue some Magnemites together and call it something else (but Magnezone is cool). Grimer? It evolves into a bigger sludge pile. Woo.

On the other hand, they've had some cool evolutions as well, like Scizor and Tyrantrum.

#691 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="sonictrainer"]

Doublade

EnoshimaJunko

now that's just lazy.

Eh, its not the first time they've been lazy about evolutions. Magnemite's evolution? Glue some Magnemites together and call it something else (but Magnezone is cool). Grimer? It evolves into a bigger sludge pile. Woo.

On the other hand, they've had some cool evolutions as well, like Scizor and Tyrantrum.

those are also lazy. i really hope the third stage isn't 3 swords glued together, and call it trislash or some stupid shit like that.
#692 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

To be fair, Magnemite's evolution to Magneton was based on magnetism, so it made sense.  Doublade does too when you realize it's based off of a coat of arms.  It's not just two swords put together. 

#693 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

It appears that some people have gotten the game early.

From this point on, any information that hasn't been officially revealed by Pokemon, Nintendo, or GameFreak, please post in Spoiler Tags.

Thank you.

#694 Posted by TopStarRacer (5732 posts) -

It appears that some people have gotten the game early.

From this point on, any information that hasn't been officially revealed by Pokemon, Nintendo, or GameFreak, please post in Spoiler Tags.

Thank you.

sonictrainer

I've already stopped visiting numerous places on the web where I was picking up news to avoid spoilers. Spoiler tags would be appriciated otherwise I'll be bailing here as well.

I love learning of new Pokemon but I'd like for everything non-official to be revealed while I'm actually playing. ;)

#695 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
[QUOTE="EnoshimaJunko"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] now that's just lazy.BrunoBRS

those are also lazy. i really hope the third stage isn't 3 swords glued together, and call it trislash or some stupid shit like that.

Trislash seems plausible. Wait, we are giving them ideas! o_O
#696 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

Here is Mega Charizard X

5.jpg

It is exclusive to X, is Fire/Dragon, has a new ability called Tough Claws which improves the power of Physical contact attacks and it's Attack is increased.

Source: Serebii

#697 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (194 posts) -

Here is Mega Charizard X

5.jpg

It is exclusive to X, is Fire/Dragon, has a new ability called Tough Claws which improves the power of Physical contact attacks and it's Attack is increased.

KnightSkull

Was not expecting Charizard to get 2 mega evolutions. It's nice its Fire/Dragon. But should it have gotten a 2nd mega evolution?

#698 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

Also 2 more new Pokemon:

newpoke1th.jpg

They are the evolutions of Swirlix and Spritzee, their Japanese names are Peroriimu and Furefuran respectively and are both pure Fairy-type.

Again: Serebii

#699 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

Here is Mega Charizard X

5.jpg

It is exclusive to X, is Fire/Dragon, has a new ability called Tough Claws which improves the power of Physical contact attacks and it's Attack is increased.

EnoshimaJunko

Was not expecting Charizard to get 2 mega evolutions. It's nice its Fire/Dragon. But should it have gotten a 2nd mega evolution?

Maybe the other Kanto starters will have 2 mega formes also.

#700 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4676 posts) -

AW COME ON!! First MewTwo and now this?! I already preordered Pokemon Y!! :x

I really hope I don't end up preferring every other MegaEvolutionX. I really hope we can trade the mega stones between versions.

Still a fantastic surprise!