Pokemon X and Y Update and Discussion Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#501 Posted by sman3579 (21173 posts) -
[QUOTE="sman3579"]

Mega Pokemon is actually my favorite announcement so far. Honestly, all of the Pokemon I have seen so far aside from the version mascots and that sword ghost have dissapointed me. This new mega Pokemon announcement kind of gives me more faith in this generation. I'm kind of hoping every fully evolved pokemon gets it.

Minishdriveby
Which creates a problem in future generation if they want to go back and make a new evolution. If only fully evolved pokemon get a mega form then something like Absol will never get a regular evolution in later generations because then there's the predicament of having both a Mega Absol and a Mega form of Absol's evolution. At the same time if every final evolution doesn't get a megaform it could throw off the metagame.

True but I can live with Absol and Mawile not getting proper evolutions anyways, and maybe these new mega evolutions will make it so that crappy Pokemon like Dunesparce and Farfecth'd can become useable without necessarily giving them a "real" evolution. If they do this mega evolution thing correctly it could work out nicely.
#502 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="sman3579"]

Mega Pokemon is actually my favorite announcement so far. Honestly, all of the Pokemon I have seen so far aside from the version mascots and that sword ghost have dissapointed me. This new mega Pokemon announcement kind of gives me more faith in this generation. I'm kind of hoping every fully evolved pokemon gets it.

sman3579
Which creates a problem in future generation if they want to go back and make a new evolution. If only fully evolved pokemon get a mega form then something like Absol will never get a regular evolution in later generations because then there's the predicament of having both a Mega Absol and a Mega form of Absol's evolution. At the same time if every final evolution doesn't get a megaform it could throw off the metagame.

True but I can live with Absol and Mawile not getting proper evolutions anyways, and maybe these new mega evolutions will make it so that crappy Pokemon like Dunesparce and Farfecth'd can become useable without necessarily giving them a "real" evolution. If they do this mega evolution thing correctly it could work out nicely.

But then why not just give them standard evolutions that give a stat boost.
#503 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
don't see the problem with single-stage pokemon. if the problem is that their stats are not up to par with fully evolved pokemon, then i'd say the problem is with their stat growth tree, not the fact that they're single-stage. i like how mega-evolutions look like amped up versions of the regular pokemon, but don't look different enough to look like a new pokemon entirely. i honestly never thought absol needed an evolution, but this "half stage" seems satisfying enough.
#504 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

I'm assuming these Mega evolutions won't be getting pokedex entries either?Minishdriveby

It is just an alternate forme so it would be like Giratina and Giratina-O.

#505 Posted by sman3579 (21173 posts) -
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="sman3579"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] Which creates a problem in future generation if they want to go back and make a new evolution. If only fully evolved pokemon get a mega form then something like Absol will never get a regular evolution in later generations because then there's the predicament of having both a Mega Absol and a Mega form of Absol's evolution. At the same time if every final evolution doesn't get a megaform it could throw off the metagame.

Don't know really maybe alternate forms are easier or quicker to make then actual evolutions? To me it doesn't really matter if they are alternate forms or real evolutions, as long as it buffs up some weak Pokemon I'm fine with it.
#506 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I'm assuming these Mega evolutions won't be getting pokedex entries either?Sora278

It is just an alternate forme so it would be like Giratina and Giratina-O.

That's a little saddening to me because I like looking at the pokedex entries. Hopefully, they don't spend too many resources on the mega formes and leave room for a bunch of newer pokemon.
#507 Posted by sman3579 (21173 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]don't see the problem with single-stage pokemon. if the problem is that their stats are not up to par with fully evolved pokemon, then i'd say the problem is with their stat growth tree, not the fact that they're single-stage. i like how mega-evolutions look like amped up versions of the regular pokemon, but don't look different enough to look like a new pokemon entirely. i honestly never thought absol needed an evolution, but this "half stage" seems satisfying enough.

Yeah I agree with you on this.
#508 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
[QUOTE="sman3579"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="sman3579"] True but I can live with Absol and Mawile not getting proper evolutions anyways, and maybe these new mega evolutions will make it so that crappy Pokemon like Dunesparce and Farfecth'd can become useable without necessarily giving them a "real" evolution. If they do this mega evolution thing correctly it could work out nicely.

Don't know really maybe alternate forms are easier or quicker to make then actual evolutions? To me it doesn't really matter if they are alternate forms or real evolutions, as long as it buffs up some weak Pokemon I'm fine with it.

but it's buffing lucario and blaziken lol. it seems like it triggers at the start of a battle (or by some event in the battle) and ends with the battle, so who knows if it's more reliable than "pure" evolutions. all i know is that pokemon X/Y needs a new battle theme.
#509 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -
So if anyone had the wish to use a baby kangaskhan, it has been granted. Thank you mega based god.
#510 Posted by vguy555 (4620 posts) -

So if anyone had the wish to use a baby kangaskhan, it has been granted. Thank you mega based god.Minishdriveby
Mega Kangaskhan's ability sounds great too, wonder if it works with every attack.

#511 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

So if anyone had the wish to use a baby kangaskhan, it has been granted. Thank you mega based god.Minishdriveby

Okay, I have to admit, that's pretty damn cool what they did with Kangaskahn

#512 Posted by sman3579 (21173 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="sman3579"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] But then why not just give them standard evolutions that give a stat boost.

but it's buffing lucario and blaziken lol. it seems like it triggers at the start of a battle (or by some event in the battle) and ends with the battle, so who knows if it's more reliable than "pure" evolutions. all i know is that pokemon X/Y needs a new battle theme.

Meh, it isn't the prefect system. XD I feel like since Blaziken got it all the other starters will, at least I hope they do. Also, Mega Kangaskhan looks awesome.
#513 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
On one hand it's good I don't know much about Pokemon X/Y, on the other, I feel like a total noob seeing you guys talk about everything here.
#514 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -
On one hand it's good I don't know much about Pokemon X/Y, on the other, I feel like a total noob seeing you guys talk about everything here. Haziqonfire
I think I'm going to go on a media blackout from now on. I don't want to see the evolution of the starters until I evolve them in the game.
#515 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
*looks up mega kanghaskan* all i found was him with the baby out of the bag... am i missing something?
#516 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

*looks up mega kanghaskan* all i found was him with the baby out of the bag... am i missing something?BrunoBRS

Her. :P  But the baby fights WITH her.

#517 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]*looks up mega kanghaskan* all i found was him with the baby out of the bag... am i missing something?Sora278

could be a he. last i checked male kanghaskans have the baby too. matter of fact, they hatch out of the egg with a baby.
#518 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sora278"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]*looks up mega kanghaskan* all i found was him with the baby out of the bag... am i missing something?BrunoBRS

could be a he. last i checked male kanghaskans have the baby too. matter of fact, they hatch out of the egg with a baby.

There are no males, every one you have seen was female.

#519 Posted by svm128 (376 posts) -

Mega evolutions seem interesting. It gives battle a unique change. We'll see if the execution is done right. Also I don't like the name "mega evolution", they should just call it a hyper form.

#520 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Mostly I think this mega thing is kinda dumb, (and what they did with Kangaskahn seems lazy) but I read that you can only have one on the team. That sounds interesting and I'm sure I'll find some fully digivolved Pokémon that I'll like.

#521 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

I've got mixed feelings about this whole mega thing, it's an interesting concept but Mewtwo does not need any kind of stat boost, but we will see how this turns out.

The best 2 Mega Pokemon so far, IMO, are Mega Ampharos becoming Electric/Dragon and being able to fight with Babykarn with Mega Kangaskhan.

#522 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

I'm really curious to see if they're going to be using the mega evolutions for all pokemon. Or if it's just for a select few.

#523 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

I'm really curious to see if they're going to be using the mega evolutions for all pokemon. Or if it's just for a select few.

RatedSTARZ
They confirmed that not all pokemon will have mega forms. Makes sense, they'd have to almost double their pokemon designs otherwise
#524 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="RatedSTARZ"]

BrunoBRS

They confirmed that not all pokemon will have mega forms. Makes sense, they'd have to almost double their pokemon designs otherwise

If they can't get all of them I hope that all the Starter Pokémon get Mega Evolutions because Blaziken can't be the only one.

#525 Posted by HowlingLotus (398 posts) -

Wish they would hurry up and mention the version differences/exclusive Pokemon already. I only buy one version now as I can't see playing through the (essentially) same game. That and the fact that it is easier then ever to trade online to fill in missing Pokedex gaps, but I do enjoy playing through a new Pokemon game without trading or importing Pokemon until post game content. 

It's already mid-August.... don't they reveal this by now (2 months from release)?

#526 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Wish they would hurry up and mention the version differences/exclusive Pokemon already. I only buy one version now as I can't see playing through the (essentially) same game. That and the fact that it is easier then ever to trade online to fill in missing Pokedex gaps, but I do enjoy playing through a new Pokemon game without trading or importing Pokemon until post game content. 

It's already mid-August.... don't they reveal this by now (2 months from release)?

HowlingLotus

They already did reveal them.  Clauncher and Swirlix are X exclusives so Skrelp and Spritzee are Y exclusives.

#527 Posted by HowlingLotus (398 posts) -

I imagine there will be more then a few exclusive to each game not counting the cover pokemon. I was thinking more like Black and White where towns were different, etc. 

#528 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

You are thinking of the in-depth knowledge we get before the American release because Japan got it months ago, this time the entire world gets it at the same time so there is going to be less known.

#529 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Mega Pokemon Opinion

Hm...

#530 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

Mega Pokemon Opinion

Hm...

sonictrainer
yeah... no.
#531 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Pokemon: The Origins Japanese Logo

Looks like a new anime will be running alongside the regular one with Ash.

It's called Pokémon: The Origins and features Red and Green from the Kanto games.

#532 Posted by HowlingLotus (398 posts) -

You are thinking of the in-depth knowledge we get before the American release because Japan got it months ago, this time the entire world gets it at the same time so there is going to be less known.

Sora278

Completely forgot about the worldwide release!

That clears up all my questions then. I guess it will come down to which legendary I want :P.

#533 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Pokemon X Title Screen

Pokemon Y Demo Title Screen

Title Screens from the Demo Version

#534 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]

Mega Pokemon Opinion

Hm...

BrunoBRS
yeah... no.

I don't see the resemblance whatsoever
#535 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Not Sure

What could this be?

#536 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="sonictrainer"]

Mega Pokemon Opinion

Hm...

Soulreavercross
yeah... no.

I don't see the resemblance whatsoever

people like to overanalyze pokemon, and sometimes they stretch things to ridiculous extents to try and make it fit, like the nordic gods thing.
#537 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

It's called Pokémon: The Origins and features Red and Green from the Kanto games.

sonictrainer

Apparently it is only a Special unless it is really popular than they will make more. They are having a trading card series based on it.

Edit* It is made by Production IG (as well as OLM).

#538 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

http://youtu.be/-Ifspg5ZCkw

Retrospective Video with some sort of teaser at the end

BTW, how do we post videos here again?

#539 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

http://youtu.be/-Ifspg5ZCkw

Retrospective Video with some sort of teaser at the end

BTW, how do we post videos here again?

sonictrainer

copy and paste the embed code from Youtube and before // in the code type http:

#540 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Apparently it is only a Special unless it is really popular than they will make more. They are having a trading card series based on it.

Edit* It is made by Production IG (as well as OLM).

POKETOMONSTAAAAA
#541 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
The pokemon origins actually looks really good. I do hope a dubbed version comes out in english. I haven't been this excited for the anime series since the first season of pokemon
#542 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Gamescom Demo

#543 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
mega evolutions are easier to pull off than i expected. i was hoping some sort of condition had to be met (like getting below 50% HP or defeating an opposing pokemon)
#544 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
I'm totally looking forward to Pokémon X.
#545 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

You people do know that Xerneas' and Yveltol's types are already confirmed to be Fairy and Dark/Flying, right?

#546 Posted by sman3579 (21173 posts) -

You people do know that Xerneas' and Yveltol's types are already confirmed to be Fairy and Dark/Flying, right?

Sora278
Yeah, at least I do. I think I will go with Y just for Yveltol thought, it's design is amazing. Xerneas looks really cool too, but I see some small similarities to Dialga.
#547 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Preorder bonuses for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y

US:

Walmart

• $5 for preorder
  • preorder cards have a nice matte finish to them, sort of a "prize" in of itself.
  • $4 towards their "VuDu" streaming service. Not sure on the details on that.
  • Walmart should have the game out at midnight
  • Cards

Target

• $1 preorder
  • cards are plain giftcard looking things with the game's logo
  • some people are reporting that now Target is offering a Xerneas or Yveltal pin when you preorder.  They have the pins attached to the back of the preorder cards near electronics.
  • Cards ------ Pins

TRU

• thus far they haven't even gotten in any cards for preorders. If they do, it'd be $1. Kind of fishy they haven't gotten anything yet, but they've had nice stuff in the past.

Gamestop

• $5 preorder, no cards or anything
  • double sided poster with Xerenas/Yveltal on the front, map of Kalos on the back
  • If you preorder and purchase both, you get a History of Pokemon poster
  • Double Poster ------ History Poster

UK:

GAME: GAME is offering a Pokeball game cartridge holder with preorder.

Canada/Australia:

EB Games: EB is offering the same double sides poster US Gamestop is offering, and the Cartridge holder the UK is getting. Not sure if you guys are getting the history poster or not.

Japan:

TRU: Xerenas/Yveltal figures Pokemon Centers: Xerenas/Yveltal figures, an "Art Book" (A folder with a few pieces of artwork in them). If you preorder and purchase both, you get the figures, and a "World Art Book".

#548 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Come on Gamestop!  Who would buy both versions?

#549 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

Come on Gamestop!  Who would buy both versions?

Sora278

I bought one version for me and the other for my wife. I only got one poster though :|

#550 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

You get it when you buy both of them so not until release.