Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Remakes

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by crippled_ram (1581 posts) -

Undoubtedly the worst games in the series, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire invite a lot of criticism from fans, and are seen as when the entire series began to go downhill. In retrospect, while it appears that this criticism is unwarranted- the core of modern Pokemon games exists on the foundation built by Ruby and Sapphire, after all, and a complete reboot was necessary if they wanted to change the very fundamentals of Pokemon, which Ru/Sa did- the question is, would anyone want a remake of Ruby and Sapphire in the spirit of FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver? If so, do you think there is any possibility of Ruby and Sapphire being remade at all? If they are, what system will they be on? Will they be on the DS, or the 3DS? Will they be a part of the fifth gen, or will they kickstart the sixth gen? Will they be a part of the sixth gen?

Finally, what do you think would these games be called? TerraRuby and AquaSapphire?

#2 Posted by martinX3X (4488 posts) -

Pokemon Ruby is my favorite pokemon game, but I still don't want ANOTHER pokemon remake. They are recycling way too much. They just do something new on the 3ds.

#3 Posted by crippled_ram (1581 posts) -

Pokemon Ruby is my favorite pokemon game, but I still don't want ANOTHER pokemon remake. They are recycling way too much. They just do something new on the 3ds.

martinX3X
Well, since Black and White has already absolutely updated the series, I wouldn't mind a remake of Ru/Sa, particularly since they are rather unfairly maligned, and because I think they deserve their time under the sun.
#4 Posted by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -
I don't know if they'll do that... the first 2 gens were more "classic-ish" and I can see why they remade them. And if they do remake R/S, everyone would expect every future gen to have a remake and that'll get a bit messy. Personally I would like to have a game on the 3DS will every single gen made into one, although that will most likely not happen. :P
#5 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -
what?! i LOVE ruby. right behind pearl in favorite in series.
#6 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

martinX3X

I agree with this completely. Pokemon games are hardly different from each other as it is, there is no need to remake them all. Remaking the first 2 gens was cool though, but there is no need to keep doing it.

#7 Posted by sman3579 (21173 posts) -
Sure, Ruby and Sapphire were a bit disappointing because of the lack of day/night, it was overloaded with water, and a bunch of Pokemon were unavailable in the games; but it introduced some of the best Pokemon, EVs and IVs, natures, and 2-on-2 battles. I would love for a remake.
#8 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4654 posts) -

Worst gen in the series? Hmm... I have to disagree. Even though Red/Blue/Yellow started the series, I still think it's the worst compared to the future gens.
I would love to see a Ruby/Sapphire remake. I wasn't able to fully experience the originals back then so I don't know Hoenn as much as I know Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh.
Possibility of it being created? I'll say about 90%. >__> Seeing how GameFreak already has a pattern of what games will be released and when, I'm sure we'll be seeing Hoenn again in 2012 (Japan) and 2013 (Worldwide).
"If they are, what system will they be on? Will they be on the DS, or the 3DS?" I don't know why that's a question. If they are making a remake, then of course it's gonna be on the 3DS. O___o
Most likely 5th gen, unless Gamefreak starts 6th gen extremely early.
Not sure about the names...

#9 Posted by sman3579 (21173 posts) -
Seeing as how Game Freak only makes Pokemon games and they make a lot of money; I'm 90% sure they will make a Ruby/Sapphire remake.
#10 Posted by Zeus-Guy (728 posts) -
I don't really see the need for them to remake Ruby and Sapphire, considering you can get virtually all the current Pokemon from the DS games, save for the Regi trio.
#11 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4654 posts) -

I don't really see the need for them to remake Ruby and Sapphire, considering you can get virtually all the current Pokemon from the DS games, save for the Regi trio.Zeus-Guy

This is true and the Regi Trio can be obtained in Platinum, but 5th gen newcomers will have an impossible time completing their pokedexes if they'll need to depend on 4th gen for the Hoenn pokemon. :?
...and we all know that GameFreak will NEVER put all pokemon available in one game. :x

#12 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

A ruby/sapphire remake will make lots of money. Gamefreak likes money. There will be a remake.

As much as I enjoy them, I agree that R/S are the worst main entries in the series, but I'm confident that all the issues those games had will be fixed.

I think the real question is what system it'll be on, the DS or the 3DS. I don't have an answer for that.

#13 Posted by King_Dodongo (3247 posts) -
At his point I think they just could remake the colosseum games for the 3DS. And I would be there.
#14 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

At his point I think they just could remake the colosseum games for the 3DS. And I would be there. King_Dodongo

I would have no trouble sleeping at night if they didn't do that.

#15 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]At his point I think they just could remake the colosseum games for the 3DS. And I would be there. Pixel-Perfect

maybe the remakes could make the game interesting? i dragged myself through colosseum (after giving up halfway through about 5 times) just to get the 3 dogs, then i went to stupid Mt.100 to get ho-oh... which was nowhere to be found >__________> good thing i got heartgold though.
#16 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]At his point I think they just could remake the colosseum games for the 3DS. And I would be there. BrunoBRS

maybe the remakes could make the game interesting? i dragged myself through colosseum (after giving up halfway through about 5 times) just to get the 3 dogs, then i went to stupid Mt.100 to get ho-oh... which was nowhere to be found >__________> good thing i got heartgold though.

1. If they bring Shadow Pokemon back, I want a sequel to XD, not a remake

2. In order to get Ho-oh in Colossuem, you had to purify all the Shadow Pokemon and do the Mt Battle challenge in Battle Mode, not Story Mode

#17 Posted by Dax-360 (5998 posts) -
Anybody else notice when you fought Lance the Pokeball design under him was sorta like Ruby/Sapphire colored? It could be a sign like the Gold/Silver Pokeball in the Pokemon Centers in Gen 4.
#18 Posted by destroyerHHH (772 posts) -
I didn't like Ruby and Sapphire. They didn't feel fresh like the other games before them did. I hate the same complaint for Diamond and Pearl and it seems the Pokemon Company are really taking a positive step with Black and White in terms of the gameplay changes that they're making. I hope R & S don't get remade because frankly, we just don't need them.
#19 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

I guess so but I would rather see something new using exsisting pokemon

#20 Posted by Death_182 (108 posts) -

worst in the series :question:

what are you talking about ...

those two games were great.

#22 Posted by Kenny789 (10183 posts) -
It's coming without a doubt. It would be interesting to know how Game Freak screws with Hoenn by adding new islands and new "towers" where Johto, Kanto and Sinnoh legendaries will reside.
#23 Posted by Kurezan (1850 posts) -

I think a remake would be cool.

#24 Posted by xTheExploited (12094 posts) -
I wouldn't really mind because I didn't get these games. I don't think they will but if they did remake them then I'd probably pick them up.
#25 Posted by Zeus-Guy (728 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeus-Guy"]I don't really see the need for them to remake Ruby and Sapphire, considering you can get virtually all the current Pokemon from the DS games, save for the Regi trio.ANIMEguy10034

This is true and the Regi Trio can be obtained in Platinum, but 5th gen newcomers will have an impossible time completing their pokedexes if they'll need to depend on 4th gen for the Hoenn pokemon. :?
...and we all know that GameFreak will NEVER put all pokemon available in one game. :x

Wasn't the Regi Trio's Platinum event in Japan only?

And its the fact that GameFreak never puts all the Pokemon in one game that makes trying to "catch 'em all" a nearly impossible task anyways.

#26 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4654 posts) -

Wasn't the Regi Trio's Platinum event in Japan only?

And its the fact that GameFreak never puts all the Pokemon in one game that makes trying to "catch 'em all" a nearly impossible task anyways.

Zeus-Guy

Nope. Regigigas was given away in US ToysRUs' on March 8, 2009 - March 21, 2009(September 18, 2009 - November 2, 2009 in Europe)(right before Platinum's release date and right after the giratina movie). If it was traded to Platinum, it will unlock the Regi Trio's caves. Once you catch all 3, have them in your team in Snowpoint temple. This will allow you to catch a lvl1 Regigigas even though you have obtained the lvl100 Event Regigigas. You probably already know what happens during the event, but I got a habit of putting too much details in my posts. :lol:

I rather see 'em all than catch 'em all. :P
But catching every single one of them will be awesome replay value for when I finally see all 649 pokemon in Black. :3

#27 Posted by ssj_neo (162 posts) -

I want characters from the show in the game...and 3d. Bascially GTA san andreas without the guns and the pedestrians being characters from the pokemon universe. There could be small towns.etc A cell shaded look would be awesome, they could experiment with all types of art styles. Would be nice to face misty, brock, etc. It would be nice if each town/city had different looking gyms. Bacially its like Zelda OOT. How you start off same thing. Your a boy on a adventure basically same thing but you dont have a sword. They could even use zelda engine. the dungeons could just be gyms. You could incorporate pokemon into different things like puzzles and such. Real time battles would be awesome but thats probably a stretch. Seeing certain pokemon would be awesome like a ratta scatter of screen and you have to z target on time to face it. Others would be unsuspected. It would be cool if there were two stories. One were

Anyone know how to hack n64 roms?

#28 Posted by Wrecked69 (869 posts) -
I liked R/S far more than D/P, but I don't think they need to be remade anytime soon. Will they be remade? Probably. Its just a matter of when. I would have to agree with everyone saying that its all about the $$$, and remakes aren't as difficult to make as new Pokemon games yet still bring in a ton of money, so why wouldn't they keep remaking older games? Personally I don't think a remake would be warranted until later in the 3DS's lifetime or even the handheld to come after that.
#29 Posted by Ever_Grande (284 posts) -

RSE are my favourite Pokemon games, so I want to see a remake of them.

#30 Posted by neji122793 (831 posts) -

Hmm I don't know usually Nintendo remakes games only when its really ask for and hyped but when I last checked 3rd generation was one of the most hated ones. I wouldn't mind because I truly think they could have done more with the whole under water thing.

#31 Posted by Jackopeng (1423 posts) -
What made Ruby/Sapphire so bad? Sorry i skipped past this series =\
#32 Posted by neji122793 (831 posts) -

To tell you the truth it wasn't so bad to me *Yet again I was in the 4th grade* but I think it was the generation as a whole a lot of people did not like the sprites.

#33 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

What made Ruby/Sapphire so bad? Sorry i skipped past this series =\Jackopeng

IRC,some people didn't like the amountof water routes.

#34 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jackopeng"]What made Ruby/Sapphire so bad? Sorry i skipped past this series =\sonictrainer

IRC,some people didn't like the amountof water routes.

it's not like surf is a bad move to teach your water pokemon.
#35 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10853 posts) -
Sapphire is my favorite Pokemon game. I would love a remake. I love the tropical environment and the wacky towns and all. Also, the music is my favorite out of all the games so far. :D
#36 Posted by Zeus-Guy (728 posts) -

Found this thing on Bulbanews. Someone wrote about why they think Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby are often criticized.

Link

#37 Posted by Adam_the_Nerd (4403 posts) -
The only reason they needed remakes was so that you could obtain some of the harder to obtain pokemon. Now, it's possible to catch them all by simply transferring them between your cartridges. This would be completely unnecessary. Also, note that the timegap between the remakes was nearly 10 years. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald came out in 2003/2004, so remaking them now would be completely asinine.
#38 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

The only reason they needed remakes was so that you could obtain some of the harder to obtain pokemon. Now, it's possible to catch them all by simply transferring them between your cartridges. Adam_the_Nerd

Or just to enjoy playing the remakes. *shrugs*

#39 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

The only reason they needed remakes was so that you could obtain some of the harder to obtain pokemon. Now, it's possible to catch them all by simply transferring them between your cartridges. This would be completely unnecessary. Adam_the_Nerd

If this were the case, SS/HG wouldn't have been released.

#40 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

Ruby and Sapphire's game system has nothing to do with the current one, so blaming those games for the current system is idiotic.

The game system changed with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, by classifying individual moves as Physical or Special, rather than whole elemental types.

If anything, Ruby and Sapphire brought more to the table than D/P. It added weather effects (and that game actually used them), it added abilities, it added dual-battles and it added more new pokemon than Gold & Silver and Diamond & Pearl. Ruby and Sapphire was underrated, mostly due to its lack of featuring ALL of the pokemon up to that point and having no day/night system. Also it added stupid pokemon beauty pageants to the games. That's it.

The only thing that Diamond and Pearl did to improve the series was add online trading and battling.

And a remake of Ruby and Sapphire is pretty much inevitable. The other ones got them, so *shrugs* why not.

I think more people should look at the games as individual adventures, rather than the next game in a series of games. You should look at it as a fresh adventure with new pokemon, and not worry so much about the older ones. Maybe GameFreak will start to look at the games more this way soon.

#41 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

[QUOTE="Adam_the_Nerd"]The only reason they needed remakes was so that you could obtain some of the harder to obtain pokemon. Now, it's possible to catch them all by simply transferring them between your cartridges. This would be completely unnecessary. sonictrainer

You couldn't get a lot of the pokemon from the second generation very easily in the third or fourth generation. The three starters and the legendaries were only obtainable if you owned the Gamecube games and traded them from Colloseum and Gale of Darkness, or else won them from some exclusive Nintendo event - before wi-fi downloading was possible mind you. It was totally necessary to re-release G/S because D/P's world was so involved with the events of Johto.
#42 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonictrainer"]

[QUOTE="Adam_the_Nerd"]The only reason they needed remakes was so that you could obtain some of the harder to obtain pokemon. Now, it's possible to catch them all by simply transferring them between your cartridges. This would be completely unnecessary. Ovirew

You couldn't get a lot of the pokemon from the second generation very easily in the third or fourth generation. The three starters and the legendaries were only obtainable if you owned the Gamecube games and traded them from Colloseum and Gale of Darkness, or else won them from some exclusive Nintendo event .

Yep. The only Pokemon I don't have in the GBA Pokemon games is Deoxys and Armaldo. If I had those, it would be complete.

As for the Gen 4 games, just Armaldo.

#43 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

Found this thing on Bulbanews. Someone wrote about why they think Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby are often criticized.

Link

Zeus-Guy
that's actually a pretty nice read. i remember when i got my hands on ruby, i played it so much and was so astonished by the beautiful colors and how everything was that i couldn't even sleep properly that day.
#44 Posted by Icare0 (409 posts) -

Worst gen in the series? Hmm... I have to disagree. Even though Red/Blue/Yellow started the series, I still think it's the worst compared to the future gens.
I would love to see a Ruby/Sapphire remake. I wasn't able to fully experience the originals back then so I don't know Hoenn as much as I know Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh.
Possibility of it being created? I'll say about 90%. >__> Seeing how GameFreak already has a pattern of what games will be released and when, I'm sure we'll be seeing Hoenn again in 2012 (Japan) and 2013 (Worldwide).

ANIMEguy10034

This, pretty much.

Nostalgic factor aside, RBY was the worst generation. Too many bugs, unbalanced mutiplayer, infuriating gameplay in Yellow's case, AND THAT FRIGGIN' ELECTRIC GYM.

Didn't had the opportunity to really enjoy RSE games too, so i wouldn't mind a remake.

#45 Posted by Keving7 (1028 posts) -

they ARE the worst in the series. I guess if one didn't start on red/blue one would think they are "worse" simply because Ruby/Sapphire had more stuff. The pokemon introduced were LAME (with exception to a few GREAT ones). they removed a ton of features that made gold/silver great. THATS why its the worst. Not because its a bad game.

#46 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

The pokemon introduced were LAMEKeving7

Never again were designs as awesome as these seen in the Pokemon universe.

#47 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

[QUOTE="Keving7"]

The pokemon introduced were LAMEPixel-Perfect

pfft... those are lame. THIS is the true kind of epic design:

http://pokemongamersblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/politoed.png

#48 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

[QUOTE="Keving7"]

The pokemon introduced were LAMEBrunoBRS

pfft... those are lame. THIS is the true kind of epic design:

*big Politoed pic*

Yeah, but he's not as boss as Delibird!

They might as well stop coming out with new Pokemon, they'll never come out with something remotely as cool as Delibird.

#49 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -
i actually like delibird, though mostly because of the pokemon stadium 2 minigame :lol:
#50 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

i actually like delibird, though mostly because of the pokemon stadium 2 minigame :lol:BrunoBRS

I like Politoed, so we're even. :P