Pokemon priority moves question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8755 posts) -

I've been playing a few online battles in Pokemon Y that have left me puzzled. I've always thought that priority moves always went first against non priority moves, but it's been proven not to be the case.

instance #1

-I use Mach punch with Hitmonchan and my opponent's Talonflame uses bravebird. He moves first

instance #2

-My mega Banette with prankster (all status moves get priority) uses will-o-wisp and my opponent's Garchomp holding Focus sash uses outrage. He moves first.

Please explain what I don't understand here.

#2 Posted by moltenix (2485 posts) -

Instance 1: Talonflame's hidden ability gives all flying moves Priority. When priority is tied, faster Pokemon (Talonflame) goes first.

Instance 2: Hmm, that's a good one, no idea :P

#3 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8755 posts) -

@moltenix said:

Instance 1: Talonflame's hidden ability gives all flying moves Priority. When priority is tied, faster Pokemon (Talonflame) goes first.

Instance 2: Hmm, that's a good one, no idea :P

OK, that's good to know about Talonflame thanks. That just leaves that garchomp

#4 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (196 posts) -

instance #2

-My mega Banette with prankster (all status moves get priority) uses will-o-wisp and my opponent's Garchomp holding Focus sash uses outrage. He moves first.

This is why:

"Since movement order is determined before any moves are used (except changes due to Quash and After You), the Pokémon's new Speed or Ability will not affect movement order on the turn during which it Mega Evolves."

From Bulbapedia's page on Mega Evolution.

#5 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8755 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

instance #2

This is why:

"Since movement order is determined before any moves are used (except changes due to Quash and After You), the Pokémon's new Speed or Ability will not affect movement order on the turn during which it Mega Evolves."

From Bulbapedia's page on Mega Evolution.

Really?! That really brings down Mega Banette's game. If Mega Charizard gets to use the effects of drought immediately then Mega Banette should get to use its ability immediately as well.