Pokemon Gen II,Originals or Remakes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

I know,this is kind of a difficult question.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (25609 posts) -
Not difficult at all, the remakes are far superior in every way conceivable.
#3 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Not difficult at all, the remakes are far superior in every way conceivable. Blabadon

I wouldn't say "far".but yes.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (25609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Not difficult at all, the remakes are far superior in every way conceivable. GreekGameManiac

Yep, far better.
#5 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

The remakes actually improve the game in pretty much every way, unlike fire red. It just sucks that after ten years the sprites still aren't animated.

#6 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

The remakes actually improve the game in pretty much every way, unlike fire red. It just sucks that after ten years the sprites still aren't animated.

Pixel-Perfect
Well they are in B&W and their sequels, hopefully though with the power of the 3DS we can get proper animations. And yes, the remakes are better.
#7 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

EliteM0nk3y

Well they are in B&W and their sequels...

Haha, I know. :P

#8 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
I'm just waiting for Gen6.
#9 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

Not difficult at all, the remakes are far superior in every way conceivable. Blabadon

I agree with this. How aren't they objectively betteR? They take everything great about the originals (all the same content) and add on to it with more Pokemon, better Safari Zone, more areas, better graphics and sound. And, if oyu like 8 bit music, you can turn on the GB sounds! It's not a contest, the remakes are objectively better, due to the added content. It's not really a question.

#10 Posted by HowlingLotus (387 posts) -

Remake was better and a fun re-imagining of a childhood classic, but didn't blow my mind like the original did (when in comparison to red and blue).

#11 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

#12 Posted by funsohng (27460 posts) -
Difficult? How in good God's name can one prefer 2nd gen over 4th gen remakes?
#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69555 posts) -
the remakes are better
#14 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Difficult? How in good God's name can one prefer 2nd gen over 4th gen remakes?funsohng

Have you ever heard of "original game" and "nostalgia"?

Yeah,that.

#15 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Difficult? How in good God's name can one prefer 2nd gen over 4th gen remakes?GreekGameManiac

Yeah,that.

Nostalgia is all the originals have going for it, because the remakes improved upon everything, making it the objectively better game.

#16 Posted by Blabadon (25609 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Difficult? How in good God's name can one prefer 2nd gen over 4th gen remakes?GreekGameManiac

Yeah,that.

Nostalgia is a terrible reason to play something that's both aged poorly and has far superior remake.
#17 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Nostalgia is a terrible reason to play something that's both aged poorly and has far superior remake. Blabadon

You don't get it.

It's not the same.

The feeling is not the same at all.

It has nothing to do with which one is better.

#18 Posted by Blabadon (25609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Nostalgia is a terrible reason to play something that's both aged poorly and has far superior remake. GreekGameManiac

You don't get it.

It's not the same.

Playing a game for nostalgic feelings only makes sense if it's a game that's aged well, and even then it's a stupid reason to. I'm all for playing Soul Calibur 2 again, but that's because it's still extremely fun, and only slightly because I put hundreds of hours of my life into it years ago.
#19 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Nostalgia is a terrible reason to play something that's both aged poorly and has far superior remake. Blabadon

You don't get it.

It's not the same.

Playing a game for nostalgic feelings only makes sense if it's a game that's aged well, and even then it's a stupid reason to. I'm all for playing Soul Calibur 2 again, but that's because it's still extremely fun, and only slightly because I put hundreds of hours of my life into it years ago.

As a topic derailment, I LOVED Soul Calibur 2. I also put in too many hours to count. still one of my fav GC games.

#20 Posted by Blabadon (25609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

You don't get it.

It's not the same.

turtlethetaffer

As a topic derailment, I LOVED Soul Calibur 2. I also put in too many hours to count. still one of my fav GC games.

I'm not even a fighting game fan but having put in so many hours into the game I feel like I can fit into the fighting game community easily. Something about weapons in fighters made it much better than the rest for me. What level were you in the campaign?
#21 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Playing a game for nostalgic feelings only makes sense if it's a game that's aged well, and even then it's a stupid reason to. I'm all for playing Soul Calibur 2 again, but that's because it's still extremely fun, and only slightly because I put hundreds of hours of my life into it years ago. Blabadon

I'm not even a fighting game fan but having put in so many hours into the game I feel like I can fit into the fighting game community easily. Something about weapons in fighters made it much better than the rest for me. What level were you in the campaign?

Me too, I suck at fighting games, except that one. So good, I mastered several of the characters. Also... ha, my brother and I beat all of Weapon Master so I'm gonna assume max level. We had everything purchased, all characters, costumes and weapons unlocked... we basically 100%'ed the game, even getting all of the artwork and everything. So haha yeah I think I was max level... although I can't be sure, it's been a while and I don't have access to the game ATM.

Also, the graphics have held up amazingly well, to me at least. Just thought I'd put that out there.

#22 Posted by funsohng (27460 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Nostalgia is a terrible reason to play something that's both aged poorly and has far superior remake. GreekGameManiac

You don't get it.

It's not the same.

I do get it I was there when G/S/C came out I was part of the craze I went to watch the movies, stole my mom's money to buy Pokemon cards, and stayed up at night playing Pokemon in my bed In fact, it used to be my most played Pokemon game until HG/SS came out HG/SS has done a great job preserving that nostalgia factor while making it miles better. That is why it is not difficult to say HG/SS destroys G/S/C.
#23 Posted by Blabadon (25609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

Me too, I suck at fighting games, except that one. So good, I mastered several of the characters. Also... ha, my brother and I beat all of Weapon Master so I'm gonna assume max level. We had everything purchased, all characters, costumes and weapons unlocked... we basically 100%'ed the game, even getting all of the artwork and everything. So haha yeah I think I was max level... although I can't be sure, it's been a while and I don't have access to the game ATM.

Also, the graphics have held up amazingly well, to me at least. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I was going to continue this discussion but I say we do it over at PUSH.
#24 Posted by shiny_zorua (8 posts) -
you can't usually beat the original, but HG/SS definately tried, they're all brilliant games. I slightly prefer the remakes because of better graphics and the pokewalker function.
#25 Posted by Bardock47 (5195 posts) -

Good god, the remakes easily. THis is coming from someone that grew up with pokemon and should be looking back with rose tinted glasses. But the remakes is what got me back in, after gen 3 I bascially went on a ten year hiatus (give or take) and Soulsilver really just brought it all back to me. It has the prefect pokemon game vibe, it has the Johto and Kanto (two of my fav regions) the graphics look nice and the add-on bring so much into it. Not to mention the following pokemon mechnaic from yellow is exapnded, its just th elittle things like that I adore. Persoanlly I foind the Remakes to be the perfedt pokemon games and would give them a 10/10, I am having so much fun going through a second time and buliding the perfect team, I dont plan on getting any of the balc and whites and well just wait till next gen, if these tire me out by then.

#26 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

Yeah, the remakes are better. But the originals was fun to play with.

#27 Posted by DoctorWho88 (280 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Not difficult at all, the remakes are far superior in every way conceivable. Blabadon

Yep, far better.

Not sure about that - Pokemon Gold/Silver (originals) is probably better than the remakes, but I don't personally think that you can pit remakes against originals in the first place, it's like pitting genre against genre. The remakes do have better graphics, I guess, because of better technology, but that's basically saying remakes and sequels are ALWAYS better than the originals or prequels. So, like the original post said, this is hard. But the original pokemon (espcially Pikachu) were a heck lot cuter, so I gotta say originals.

#28 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Remakes......

#29 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

DoctorWho88

Yep, far better.

Not sure about that - Pokemon Gold/Silver (originals) is probably better than the remakes, but I don't personally think that you can pit remakes against originals in the first place, it's like pitting genre against genre. The remakes do have better graphics, I guess, because of better technology, but that's basically saying remakes and sequels are ALWAYS better than the originals or prequels. So, like the original post said, this is hard. But the original pokemon (espcially Pikachu) were a heck lot cuter, so I gotta say originals.

This is despite teh fact that the remakes improved on the originals in every way?

#30 Posted by DoctorWho88 (280 posts) -

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Yep, far better. turtlethetaffer

This is despite teh fact that the remakes improved on the originals in every way?

And if a dev doesn't improve the games on the remakes (after about 10 years and 3 console generations of experience), then they're definitely doing something wrong. Therefore, I'm trying to say that this is a useless question, remakes or originals, since remakes are almost 100% bound to be better.
#31 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"] Not sure about that - Pokemon Gold/Silver (originals) is probably better than the remakes, but I don't personally think that you can pit remakes against originals in the first place, it's like pitting genre against genre. The remakes do have better graphics, I guess, because of better technology, but that's basically saying remakes and sequels are ALWAYS better than the originals or prequels. So, like the original post said, this is hard. But the original pokemon (espcially Pikachu) were a heck lot cuter, so I gotta say originals.

DoctorWho88

And if a dev doesn't improve the games on the remakes (after about 10 years and 3 console generations of experience), then they're definitely doing something wrong. Therefore, I'm trying to say that this is a useless question, remakes or originals, since remakes are almost 100% bound to be better.

But you just said that the originals were better.

#32 Posted by DoctorWho88 (280 posts) -

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

Considering Poke-cuteness, yes
#33 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"] And if a dev doesn't improve the games on the remakes (after about 10 years and 3 console generations of experience), then they're definitely doing something wrong. Therefore, I'm trying to say that this is a useless question, remakes or originals, since remakes are almost 100% bound to be better.DoctorWho88

But the remakes have all the originals and more. You can walk with your Pokemon too!

#34 Posted by DoctorWho88 (280 posts) -

[QUOTE="DoctorWho88"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

But the remakes have all the originals and more. You can walk with your Pokemon too!

Walking your Pokemon isn't going to turn Pikachu back into the chubby version we saw on the front cover of Pokemon Yellow :)