Paper mario is great!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peach79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 peach79
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

I've played, embarrassingly enough, 7 hours of Paper Mario Sticker Star today and can't put it down! although I hope I can find how to open those hidden doors soo, I've passed so may!!!!! I'm currently at level 2-5.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I've played, embarrassingly enough, 7 hours of Paper Mario Sticker Star today and can't put it down! although I hope I can find how to open those hidden doors soo, I've passed so may!!!!! I'm currently at level 2-5.

peach79

Is there anything besides stickers? I am not trying to harp on this, I am honestly wondering if there is anything like Recipes or something else.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Shut up because my copy isn't here yet. :(

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts
Cool. I don't like what I'm hearing that battling feels unnecessary, since you don't get any experience for it, but I might get the game later. Was hoping for better scores, though..
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#5 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I have to wait till 7th December:cry:

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bigboi500

Cool. I don't like what I'm hearing that battling feels unnecessary, since you don't get any experience for it, but I might get the game later. Was hoping for better scores, though..Litchie
I don't think it's any more unnecessary than any other kind of game, since you don't always gain experience points in every game just for fighting, like hack n slash or any other adventure game.

peach79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 peach79

Not gaining experience is forgotten when you find that there are tons of secrets to find. you actually level up by finding +5, which only raises your health. But fighting can get you special stickers which can't be found any other way, so there is some point. I also like the overworld map, like super Mario World almost.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="peach79"]

NaveedLife

Is there anything besides stickers? I am not trying to harp on this, I am honestly wondering if there is anything like Recipes or something else.

I don't think there's any recipes in this. Closest thing to that is finding real life items and turning them into stickers.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Paper Mario: TTYD this is not.
peach79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 peach79

Well take into consideration that it is a handheld game and isnt't made to be p,layed hours on end like TTYD or the original Paper Mario. For what it is it is really fun.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i am to disappointed in everything they changed in the game to buy it. To me it may look like paper mario but it doesn't play like paper mario.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

[QUOTE="Litchie"]Cool. I don't like what I'm hearing that battling feels unnecessary, since you don't get any experience for it, but I might get the game later. Was hoping for better scores, though..Bigboi500

I don't think it's any more unnecessary than any other kind of game, since you don't always gain experience points in every game just for fighting, like hack n slash or any other adventure game.

Battling in an RPG without getting anything for it, makes battling feel unnecessary to me, and enemies are just in the way. Good for you if you disagree.
i am to disappointed in everything they changed in the game to buy it. To me it may look like paper mario but it doesn't play like paper mario.elbert_b_23
Yeah, they had this awesome formula, which worked awesome in Paper Mario and PM: TTYD, then they changed it for whatever reason with Super Paper Mario, which made it way worse, then for the next game, they still went with something different, but closer to what was awesome. Why they can't just make another awesome game and what the fans of Paper Mario wants, is beyond me.

sir_lancelot_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sir_lancelot_b
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

I can see how Paper Mario fans are disappointed with the changes but as someone who has never played a previous Paper Mario game, I am thouroughly enjoying Sticker Star. I guess if you dive in expecting an addition to the franchise instead of a sequel you might enjoy it more.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

The combat relevance sounds iffy, and the identity seems to not be there fully.

A TTYD identity would have been lovely (the happenings in places like the mystery train and glitz pit to the twilight area set pieces were just too awesome). Sounds like that's not the case this time.

Knowing me though, I'll probably get this soon and still love it though considering its freakin Paper Mario.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

I just recently discovered that, inside the Stickers Museum, if there's light coming out from one of the doors it means there's stickers you have that isn't on display in said rooms.

And me who was going around checking every rooms every times. :lol:

Still, almost at the end of World 1, probably gonna keep one of those giant stickers for the boss.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Litchie"]I don't think it's any more unnecessary than any other kind of game, since you don't always gain experience points in every game just for fighting, like hack n slash or any other adventure game.

Litchie

Battling in an RPG without getting anything for it, makes battling feel unnecessary to me, and enemies are just in the way. Good for you if you disagree.
i am to disappointed in everything they changed in the game to buy it. To me it may look like paper mario but it doesn't play like paper mario.elbert_b_23
Yeah, they had this awesome formula, which worked awesome in Paper Mario and PM: TTYD, then they changed it for whatever reason with Super Paper Mario, which made it way worse, then for the next game, they still went with something different, but closer to what was awesome. Why they can't just make another awesome game and what the fans of Paper Mario wants, is beyond me.

Lol I fully agree! It was great to see Paper Mario back to being a true RPG! Then you realize it is nothing like it once was. Paper Mario was one of the games that sold me on the 3DS. Guess I should have waited to see more on it first :(. Not that I regret buying a 3DS.

TheeFuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheeFuzz
Member since 2008 • 157 Posts

Yes, yes the regular formula is absolutely amazing no doubt. But this is a great title within itself.

I have to say the reviewers are nit picking when it comes to getting stuck. The only reason Ive gotten stuck so far was because the puzzle was legit difficult. Other than that Im enjoying the challenge of this game and exploring each level.

The battle system isn't flawed and becomes quite strategic after world 1. Yes it may not be as great as the two true RPG games in the series but It is still a great idea that I really enjoy.

I only have a couple of gripes with the game. Sadly its due to comparing with PM64 and PM TTYD. The charm of the characters are still there however there arent as many memorable characters so far. Also the bosses aren't really memorable so far either.

Im just at the end of World 3 now and I must say despite my gripes its still an awesome game for the 3DS and holds up as a Papaer Mario Game. I recommend it but don't expect a thousand year door experience. This is a different style of gameplay with the paper mario look and charm.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Yes, yes the regular formula is absolutely amazing no doubt. But this is a great title within itself.

I have to say the reviewers are nit picking when it comes to getting stuck. The only reason Ive gotten stuck so far was because the puzzle was legit difficult. Other than that Im enjoying the challenge of this game and exploring each level.

The battle system isn't flawed and becomes quite strategic after world 1. Yes it may not be as great as the two true RPG games in the series but It is still a great idea that I really enjoy.

I only have a couple of gripes with the game. Sadly its due to comparing with PM64 and PM TTYD. The charm of the characters are still there however there arent as many memorable characters so far. Also the bosses aren't really memorable so far either.

Im just at the end of World 3 now and I must say despite my gripes its still an awesome game for the 3DS and holds up as a Papaer Mario Game. I recommend it but don't expect a thousand year door experience. This is a different style of gameplay with the paper mario look and charm.

TheeFuzz
Would you say it's worth the $40? I've been thinking about buying it. i need a new 3DS game to play.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Litchie"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"] Battling in an RPG without getting anything for it, makes battling feel unnecessary to me, and enemies are just in the way. Good for you if you disagree.[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]i am to disappointed in everything they changed in the game to buy it. To me it may look like paper mario but it doesn't play like paper mario.NaveedLife

Lol I fully agree! It was great to see Paper Mario back to being a true RPG! Then you realize it is nothing like it once was. Paper Mario was one of the games that sold me on the 3DS. Guess I should have waited to see more on it first :(. Not that I regret buying a 3DS.

I honestly agree that i would love to see a return to the old formula from the first two games, but this game looks great for what it is.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
[QUOTE="TheeFuzz"]

Toxic-Seahorse
Would you say it's worth the $40? I've been thinking about buying it. i need a new 3DS game to play.

i guess you missed this one thread that had a promo code for 10 dollars off on this game.mine is at t the packaging stage in ups. newegg was backordered before they could process my order :(
TheeFuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheeFuzz
Member since 2008 • 157 Posts

Im about 12 hours in and at the beggining of Chapter 4. So im guessing around halfway through. The game is great and I would say its worth the 40$. Once im done the main story im sure ill be going around and collecting the rest of the "things" that are hidden. Id have to put it in my top 2 3DS games so far. Number 1 being Kid Icarus.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AznbkdX

Well I like that IS is doing something new with each game, it sets it apart from the M&L series a bit more which are more standard (BIS had more platforming but close enough) RPGish in the Mario sense experiences.

That said, please make another TTYD kind of game next time :cool:.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="TheeFuzz"]

themagicbum9720

i guess you missed this one thread that had a promo code for 10 dollars off on this game.mine is at t the packaging stage in ups. newegg was backordered before they could process my order :(

Yeah I cancelled that sh*t because they were taking too long to process my order, and then it has to travel all the way from califonia and would take at least four days to get to me. They should have shipped everyone's order out last Saturday. I just bit the bullet and bought it in the store for regular price.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="themagicbum9720"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Would you say it's worth the $40? I've been thinking about buying it. i need a new 3DS game to play.Bigboi500

Yeah I cancelled that sh*t because they were taking too long to process my order, and then it has to travel all the way from califonia and would take at least four days to get to me. They should have shipped everyone's order out last Saturday. I just bit the bullet and bought it in the store for regular price.

Well UPS doesn't ship Saturdays and that's Newegg' main carrier. Also, Newegg never ships stuff before the release date, which sucks. So you get a discount, but you have to wait a few extra days. Usually it ships on the release day though.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife

Well I like that IS is doing something new with each game, it sets it apart from the M&L series a bit more which are more standard (BIS had more platforming but close enough) RPGish in the Mario sense experiences.

AznbkdX

Paper Mario 64 / TTYD > Mario RPG > M&L

I want another true Paper Mario RPG!!! :cry:

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I think what makes this feel less of an RPG is that there's no partner following you around anywhere. It feels as solitary as Super Paper Mario, which really isn't a good thing, and at least Super Paper Mario had those pixels. This game has a little sticker that only comes out every once in a while to say in so many words that she has nothing important to tell you.

But what I think is the main problem is that Nintendo, and not just them but other companies as well, feel the need to scale down their games when they make them for a handheld. The 3DS and Vita aren't the old systems they used to be. They're reaching close to console-like performance. They can handle games just as larger as consoles, so companies shouldn't be afraid to make great console-like experiences on the small screen. Sticker Star feels like the Super Mario 3D Land of the Paper Mario series; you can see what it's trying to do, but only wish it could do a little more.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shinobishyguy

I think what makes this feel less of an RPG is that there's no partner following you around anywhere. It feels as solitary as Super Paper Mario, which really isn't a good thing, and at least Super Paper Mario had those pixels. This game has a little sticker that only comes out every once in a while to say in so many words that she has nothing important to tell you.

But what I think is the main problem is that Nintendo, and not just them but other companies as well, feel the need to scale down their games when they make them for a handheld. The 3DS and Vita aren't the old systems they used to be. They're reaching close to console-like performance. They can handle games just as larger as consoles, so companies shouldn't be afraid to make great console-like experiences on the small screen. Sticker Star feels like the Super Mario 3D Land of the Paper Mario series; you can see what it's trying to do, but only wish it could do a little more.

JustPlainLucas

3d land was great though.

Maybe not quite as epic as the galaxy games but it felt like it's own animal rather than just being Mario Galaxy Portable

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I was hoping for a real Paper Mario, so this doesn't cut it for me. No party members? No exp? No thanks.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500

I'm not understanding the negativity for Sticker Star one bit. I'm a few hours in and I'm very impressed so far. The game is extremely polished, it uses the bottom screen very effectively, its use of 3D effects are amazing, the game is very big and there are tons of secrets and things to do.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#30 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

JustPlainLucas

Never played this game in particular but I'm really of the mindset that handheld games need to be built as handheld games from the ground up. It is rare that it works to just try to cram as much of a home console game onto the small screen as possible. I do agree completely though that more game companies need to stop treating their handheld games as second class to home console versions. I get sick of developers hiring out the developement for handheld versions of their big IPs.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AznbkdX

JustPlainLucas

I agree with this sentiment. Paper Mario does feel slightly lonely without a partner. He/she does the talking, and rpgs always tend to have multiple supporting roles.

I think the reason why games are dumbed down for the 3ds though is because its the 3ds. The small portable system. The one that sells well regardless of what you put on it.

The 3ds has close to the power of the Wii iirc but its because of its stigma as a "handheld" and not a true console that the games it gets are usually not always up to par. Not to say this isn't always true since there have been many games that I think are better than most console games, but for the most part this is how its been.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

NaveedLife

I never played Mario RPG :cry:.

I've heard so many good things about it. I wish it would come out on the shop channel or something. I dont care if its not likely I WANNA PLAY IT!

For me TTYD is better than every game in M&L, but for some reason the first M&L game stuck with me more. Still the set pieces in TTYD were all freaking amazing and so very memorable. Beats out a ton of rpgs in that aspect imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

AznbkdX

I never played Mario RPG :cry:.

I've heard so many good things about it. I wish it would come out on the shop channel or something. I dont care if its not likely I WANNA PLAY IT!

For me TTYD is better than every game in M&L, but for some reason the first M&L game stuck with me more. Still the set pieces in TTYD were all freaking amazing and so very memorable. Beats out a ton of rpgs in that aspect imo.

I take it your not in North America. It's on my Wii right now. As for its quality, I much prefer TTYD, or Superstar Saga. I'm downloading Sticker Star right now...my god is this taking some time.