Pachter says SSB and MK8 will sell 5-10 million Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/pachter-on-mk8-and-ssb/

I read this and I was pretty surprised. He also said that Nintendo shouldn't go 3rd party. I wonder what made him change his mind? What do you guys think? I know both will be on my buy list.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@bunchanumbers: Hmm that's odd. Last I remember he said that he thought that Nintendo should go 3rd party, then go back to being 1st party....Yeah.

Anyway, I think this really could happen. Nintendo just needs to market it so more people will know about it.

PS this guy had a good take on that 3rd party thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61DJlKFZpQE

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

He probably changed his mind given the latest software sales figures. The Mario games sold really well given the install base. I think it was like 80% of people who had a Wii U also had New Super Mario Bros. U. Also, the Wii U has a high attach rate (5 games per console).

So it's a no brainer to say that MK8 and SSB will get pretty big sales. Most Wii U owners are hardcore Nintendo fans - so 80% of the Wii U owners will probably get this game. By the next fiscal year, Nintendo have projected around 10 mil sales total, so 5 to 10 mil sounds reasonable.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@trugs26: Completely agree.

Both MK8 and Smash Bros are currently the most hyped Wii U games, and many people are jumping on the Wii U for them. Although the chances of them reaching the sales of MK Wii and Brawl is unlikely, they'll definitely be some of the best selling games on the console.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#5 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Pretty reasonable prediction. We all know these two games are going to sell great; what the real burning question is how many Wii-U's will it sell?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bunchanumbers

Actually that was a bit misleading on the title on my part. Pachter says that these 2 games will cause 5-10 million Wii Us to be sold. That was my fault.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trugs26

@bunchanumbers: Oh lol. If that's the prediction: then yeah it's possible as well.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bunchanumbers

If this is true and in an attempt to be optimistic I'll say 10 million. Along with their base of 6.2 they would be at 16.2 million consoles sold. Along with price drops in the future I think it could surpass Gamecube in sales. A lot of things would have to line up for Nintendo for this to happen though.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@bunchanumbers:

Mario Kart, is one of, if not, the best stand alone selling title on any console. It does better numbers than COD, GTA etc. I think it's definitely going to generate Wii U sales. It's a huge pre-summer release.

Smash Bros. gets the "core" gamers to invest. If Mario Kart didn't do it, Smash will.

And when Nintendo shows the next Zelda, and hopefully a few other big names at E3 (and hopefully a new IP), buying a Wii U now to play Mario Kart then Smash will be a good investment.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By trugs26

@sonic_spark: You need to be a bit careful with the MK selling more than COD or GTA line. It was only the latest iterations that sold better: MK Wii and DS sold a lot, and this is probably because of their massive install base. Every other MK has sold up to 10 mil max, where as all of the mainline GTA games and most of the COD games do well over 10 mil. Even if you split it per platform, most CODs and GTAs do more than 10 mil (e.g only on Xbox).

There's two things to consider:

1. Since the Wii U has such a small install base, will it follow more typical sales of these franchises? (i.e under 10 mil)

2. Since MK sold so well last gen, does this make the wider audience more hyped to play the sequel? Now that the name is more well known, people may be more prone to pick up the Wii U version.

1 is more likely, but we'll see, 2 may have some impact.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bunchanumbers

Apparently Nintendo has vowed to break their wall of silence when it comes to advertising Wii U. They plan on advertising the hell outta this game until the end of the year. Which is something they needed to do all of last year. If they advertise this thing like it has sold 60 million instead of 6 million they could do what Sony did and build a hype train.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

It's Patcher, he's an idiot. Although its hard to say MK8 will sell amazingly when we are less then 3 weeks away and once again NINTENDO IS NOT ADVERTISING. I have not seen a single MK8 commercial seriously. Last Nintendo commercial I saw was for Donkey Kong Country back in February. How can it sell well when hardly anyone knows about it.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@sonic_spark: It's Patcher, he's an idiot. Although its hard to say MK8 will sell amazingly when we are less then 3 weeks away and once again NINTENDO IS NOT ADVERTISING. I have not seen a single MK8 commercial seriously. Last Nintendo commercial I saw was for Donkey Kong Country back in February. How can it sell well when hardly anyone knows about it.

Miyamoto has his new IP remember. And that is normally no guarentee to be a big success. Remember Wonderful 101, Wii Music, Titan Fall lol. All flops. Although with Miyamoto...other then Wii Music his track record is golden. So if he can create a new "Mario" or "Zelda" or such in today's day and age then maybe Wii U will do alright in the end.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

It would be a great boost. Hope he is right.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

Pachter said that? Flops confirmed.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

If the Wii U can sell even 5 million this fiscal year, besting Nintendo's 3.6m goal, they'll be much better off especially since the system is sold at a profit now. 10 million and they'll be in great shape. I doubt it tho. I'm thinking 4 million or so this year but I really hope to be proven wrong. If those NFC toys take off then it could hit 10 million or so.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bunchanumbers

I think I'm more shocked that Pachter has changed his stance on Nintendo going 3rd party now. Most of the analysts have been pretty reactionary over Wii U. Good to see at least some of them start to keep a cool head.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, not going to happen.

It's almost like Nintendo fans are people's playthings "Oh it's going to do really good now"

Then when it fails, like it will always fail, they sit around and mock the sad people.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#19 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Im always really weary when Pachter's name is thrown around. How often has that market fool ever been right?

@Jaysonguy said:

No, not going to happen.

It's almost like Nintendo fans are people's playthings "Oh it's going to do really good now"

Then when it fails, like it will always fail, they sit around and mock the sad people.

Just like you mocking people who like things you dont.

Maybe you should spend less time on these boards and go enjoy the games you enjoy?

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

You are not banned anymore. Oh still I cannot see my post in articles.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bunchanumbers

@juboner: you need to msg digitaldame and tell her that you can't message. Then she can remove all restrictions.