No one tried Mario and Luigi: Dream Team?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hydralisk86 (8624 posts) -

This game came out just recently, i was wondering if anyone tried it.  

#2 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -
Won't get it until tomorrow.
#3 Posted by Raptor_Herc (298 posts) -
I played the demo yesterday. It was quite enjoyable (although I re-learned just how much I suck at using the 3DS gyroscope when I tried out a special attack that required it). I would get it sooner were it not for the backlog of games I have built up already.
#4 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17180 posts) -

I plan on getting it either soon or as a gift around the holiday season. We'll see how things pan out.  Let's hope the game rocks!

#5 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

I have too many games already. :P

#6 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

I tried the demo

DAMN its music was just DAMN

The animation was REALLY great, the trailers dont give it ANY justice.

And the gameplay was excellent, i noticed that both mario and Luigi have their own special movies, which is a first and pretty neat.

I bought the game the same day and planning to start it later on.

#7 Posted by yokofox33 (30286 posts) -

I get my copy tomorrow, but I did try the demo. I liked it a lot and it seems like a fun adventure. The special attacks are fun to use as well.

#8 Posted by Minishdriveby (10383 posts) -

I have too many games already. :P

Pixel-Perfect
I'm in the same boat. I love the series though, so I'll pick it up around christmas when I have a break from the previous semester, and I've hopefully cleared a little bit of my backlog.
#9 Posted by nintendoman562 (5593 posts) -

I've played the first few hours and it's definitely off to a weak start. Long, boring dialogue sequences and the tutorials insult the players intelligence (they teach you how to use the circle pad and how to jump in a Mario game). I'm 3 hours in and I haven't gotten the hammer or any of the bro moves; I've literally just been jumping on every enemy so far.

#10 Posted by spike6958 (5053 posts) -
I'm playing through it... slowly. So far i'm enjoying it, though not as much as I did Bowser's Inside Story. I'm currently in the desert, the only thing i'm not too keen on is the Dream World sections, I'm finding that I either rush through those parts or stop playing when I reach a new one, they just seem to take up a bit too much of the game for my liking and I wish they hadn't done so many of them.
#11 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

I am still waiting for my copy. I think it will be here by Wednesday.

#12 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
I want to get it, but I've other plans for this month & the next month. I haven't even got the chance to get Project X Zone...
#13 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5987 posts) -
Too much backlog... I just kinda buy games when i drive for something else. Don't even get excited for many new releases... Backlog is down from 130 to 70ish now though...
#14 Posted by RiKanKiDD (1059 posts) -

Im enjoying it. I wish they didnt have to teach you eveything in the start of the game. It gets stupid. But i love it. The battles are awsome. And the boss battles are great!. love it

#15 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -

Im enjoying it. I wish they didnt have to teach you eveything in the start of the game. It gets stupid. But i love it. The battles are awsome. And the boss battles are great!. love it

RiKanKiDD
Yeah, the tutorial complaints are bumming me out a bit. Nintendo's really gone overboard with them the past while, hammering home repeatedly how the most basic of game systems work. We get it, Nintendo, we're not 3 years old or idiots.
#16 Posted by Raptor_Herc (298 posts) -

Can't you just skip the tutorial by pressing "x" or "y"? I recall doing that a few times while playing the demo.

#17 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
I'm skipping this one. I already have a 3DS backlog and don't want it to get worst.
#18 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5987 posts) -
I'm skipping this one. I already have a 3DS backlog and don't want it to get worst. Soulreavercross
The Mario RPGs have always been excellent as you probably know. Pick it up in a few months/years.
#19 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]I'm skipping this one. I already have a 3DS backlog and don't want it to get worst. YoshiYogurt
The Mario RPGs have always been excellent as you probably know. Pick it up in a few months/years.

I meant to say I'm skipping it for now :P. Might get it later in the year or when there's a price drop.
#20 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
I'm waiting for my copy. It shipped today and I live in the same city it's shipping from, so I'm hoping tomorrow. I've purposely avoided the demo since I'll be getting it shortly.
#21 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22587 posts) -
So far I'm enjoying it. There are alot of tutorials in the begining but nothing to bad.
#22 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (10030 posts) -

Already finished the game. It's what you would expect from the M&L series now; Fun and charming although a few segments felt too padded.

#23 Posted by Kenny789 (10272 posts) -
Couldn't resist, got it and now I'm playing it alongside SMTIV. Not a smart idea but I love the Mario and Luigi games :P
#24 Posted by Vampfox (16 posts) -

So far it seems like a great game. It's certainly better then the piece of crap that is Paper Mario Sticker Star.

#25 Posted by DJSAV_101 (3690 posts) -

I have too many games I still have not finished and I have a pretty busy semester starting next week so I'm going to wait until black friday to get this one. 

#26 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

Should have it Thursday. 

Need to finish Dark Moon before I start it though. 

#27 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
Welp. My order got delayed until tomorrow.
#28 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11621 posts) -
Too many games but I will squeeze it in once I finish SMTIV
#29 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4328 posts) -

Already finished the game. It's what you would expect from the M&L series now; Fun and charming although a few segments felt too padded.

SpinoRaptor24
How long did the game take to complete?
#30 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22587 posts) -
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

Toxic-Seahorse

most people have been saying it clocks in at a good 30-35 hours
#31 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

So as I suspected, the amount of whining from gamers and some critics about the early portion of the game was mostly exaggerated. 

The game does prompt you to tell you about how to perform certain functions but everything so far has been skippable. Since you can skip all that stuff, why is that a critiscism towards the game? It would be a different case if it was forced at you, but it's not (so far). 

The tutorials would be particularly useful to people who haven't played any of the previous Mario & Luigi titles; and it's totally avoidable for people who have (so far). What's the issue?

#32 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

So as I suspected, the amount of whining from gamers and some critics about the early portion of the game was mostly exaggerated. 

The game does prompt you to tell you about how to perform certain functions but everything so far has been skippable. Since you can skip all that stuff, why is that a critiscism towards the game? It would be a different case if it was forced at you, but it's not (so far). 

The tutorials would be particularly useful to people who haven't played any of the previous Mario & Luigi titles; and it's totally avoidable for people who have (so far). What's the issue?

Haziqonfire

I came here to say precisely the same.

Have gamers grown to be so elitist that we can't even admit that companies throw a few skippable tutorials in there to help newcomers who have never been through a game of the series?! :P

Anyway, I have played it for about three hours and I guess I am through with the introductory part of the game. I love the concept of the dream world and how you can interact with it through the bottom screen, and the real world is just as fantastic.

I feel that once the game really starts going and the wheels are completely off it will be one amaing experience.

#33 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
Yeah, I'm finding it pretty addictive lol. I'm about 3 hours in now. From what I can remember of BiS, this is more of that which I'm okay with.
#34 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17180 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Pierst179

I came here to say precisely the same.

Have gamers grown to be so elitist that we can't even admit that companies throw a few skippable tutorials in there to help newcomers who have never been through a game of the series?! :P

Anyway, I have played it for about three hours and I guess I am through with the introductory part of the game. I love the concept of the dream world and how you can interact with it through the bottom screen, and the real world is just as fantastic.

I feel that once the game really starts going and the wheels are completely off it will be one amaing experience.

Gamers will whine about just about anything... They have got to be some of the most nitpicky people on the face of this planet.

#35 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22587 posts) -

Just made it to wakeport. This game is really starting to grow on me and I could see myself enjoying it more than Bowser's inside story.

Superstar saga is still the best though

#36 Posted by Jakesta7 (2421 posts) -

Got this game a couple days ago (my first 3DS game) and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I love the battle music...

#37 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

I think that after devoting quite a few hours to it during the weekend - I just got to 20 hours of gameplay - I am sort of getting close to the end.

I am still not sure about how it compares to the other two masterpieces that the series has generated (Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story), but it is an incredible game, and alongside Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing it makes 2013 an amazing year for the 3DS.

When you are outside the dream world the scenarios are great to explore and beautiful to look at, and when you are inside dreams gameplay becomes more focused and puzzle-based, not to mention the added twist that battles get. I think it is really amazing how the game is able to bring together those two vastly different styles of gameplay.

#38 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I think that after devoting quite a few hours to it during the weekend - I just got to 20 hours of gameplay - I am sort of getting close to the end.

I am still not sure about how it compares to the other two masterpieces that the series has generated (Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story), but it is an incredible game, and alongside Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing it makes 2013 an amazing year for the 3DS.

When you are outside the dream world the scenarios are great to explore and beautiful to look at, and when you are inside dreams gameplay becomes more focused and puzzle-based, not to mention the added twist that battles get. I think it is really amazing how the game is able to bring together those two vastly different styles of gameplay.

Pierst179
You're pretty far now! I haven't had a chance to play it in the last few days, I'm still around the 11 hour mark. 20 hours is not bad!
#39 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22187 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

Shinobishyguy

most people have been saying it clocks in at a good 30-35 hours

so its longer than bowser's inside story?

#40 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

I've only played a few hours, but the first hour of this game kind of sucks. 

Then it started picking up and being fun. 

#41 Posted by JustBoomer (188 posts) -

Just picked it up today and so far really enjoying the game.;)

#42 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

You're pretty far now! I haven't had a chance to play it in the last few days, I'm still around the 11 hour mark. 20 hours is not bad! Haziqonfire

It turns out I was not as close to the end as I thought. :P

I logged a few more hours and I still have some gameplay left.

One thing I have noticed is that even though I had heard many players say it was harder than the other games in the series, I haven't really felt that. Maybe I somehow got better at playing RPGs ever since Bowser's Inside Story - which would not mean much considering I have always been pretty terrible at that specific genre.

But I haven't really had much trouble with the enemies and bosses so far. The battles have been a blast to play, though. Performing the combos, and learning and avoiding enemies' attacks is extremely engaging!

#43 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

It turns out I was not as close to the end as I thought. :P

I logged a few more hours and I still have some gameplay left.

One thing I have noticed is that even though I had heard many players say it was harder than the other games in the series, I haven't really felt that. Maybe I somehow got better at playing RPGs ever since Bowser's Inside Story - which would not mean much considering I have always been pretty terrible at that specific genre.

But I haven't really had much trouble with the enemies and bosses so far. The battles have been a blast to play, though. Performing the combos, and learning and avoiding enemies' attacks is extremely engaging!

Pierst179

All good to hear. I still haven't got around to playing it. Life is busy, lol.

I've heard from various places that the game feels like it drags on. Do you feel that it has so far? From what I remember my playthrough of BiS was around 25 hours or so but I hear this one is 35 or so.

#44 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8131 posts) -

I won't be getting it for a while, do want it though.

#45 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

All good to hear. I still haven't got around to playing it. Life is busy, lol.

I've heard from various places that the game feels like it drags on. Do you feel that it has so far? From what I remember my playthrough of BiS was around 25 hours or so but I hear this one is 35 or so.

Haziqonfire

The thing is the game makes you feel like you are getting close to the end when it gets close to the 20-hour mark, but then it turns out you still have some stuff to do before you can move on, and - mostly - it does not involve going into any brand new areas. I think the feeling of drag comes from those two factors, but I did not feel it that much.

#46 Posted by RatedSTARZ (400 posts) -

The game is pretty fun, but I don't think it's as good as the previous two titles, Bowser's Inside Story and Mario and Luigi Partners in Time. Plus the game just bombards you with constant tutorials left to right, and it gets pretty annoying real fast. It literally holds your hand and walks you through the game even when you don't need it :(. 

#47 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17180 posts) -

I've only played a few hours but it's fun so far.  Love the visual/ audio, too.

#48 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

The game is pretty fun, but I don't think it's as good as the previous two titles, Bowser's Inside Story and Mario and Luigi Partners in Time. Plus the game just bombards you with constant tutorials left to right, and it gets pretty annoying real fast. It literally holds your hand and walks you through the game even when you don't need it :(. 

RatedSTARZ

That'd be my take as well. 

It takes awhile for the game to take off the ground because of those tutorials, and in the end, it's just not quite as good as the rest in the series. Still a very fun game, but I'd probably agree with Gamespot's score. 8.0 seems right. 

#49 Posted by Yomeidient (430 posts) -

So far it seems like a great game. It's certainly better then the piece of crap that is Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Vampfox

I happened to like Sticker star. I was pretty absorbed into the game and then quit about 80% through it and was playing other things. Too many games, not enough time.

#50 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22587 posts) -

It's weird how their weren't any complaints about tutorials in Bowser's inside story even though it held your hand throughout the whole thibg much like this game. 

Why is it a problem all of a sudden?