Nintendo Wii/DS Wifi connection closing!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by KBFloYd (13440 posts) -
#2 Posted by TTUalumni13 (483 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Wow that sucks, I wonder if that's for ALL games just just Nintendo games, as there are some games that still have pretty active online communities... even more active than their Wii U counterparts.

#3 Posted by moltenix (2485 posts) -

Well that's too bad, it had a good run despite everyone complaining about Nintendo's online.

Fortunately, I don't really play Wii/DS games online anymore. Sucks for those still actively playing though; I imagine there a good number of people still playing the DS Pokemon games online.

#4 Posted by Ovirew (6350 posts) -

I actually played my first wifi games with the DS and Wii. I remember I bought the official adapter thing you plugged into the USB of your computer, that created a wireless access point for you. The adapter worked like crap, and both of them I'd bought overheated and broke after a short time, but it did get me hooked on online console gaming and I managed to download my first Virtual Console titles that way.

In late 2007 or so, my family finally got a wireless modem, and that really brought me into the wireless age. Today wireless is the standard, and it's hard to imagine going back to the days when a game system had no Internet connection whatsoever, despite the fact that many things about the pre-Internet-console-gaming age were better.

It's too bad that these games won't be playable online now, but I guess we're used to the fact now that games just get taken offline after a while. I wonder how this will impact Pokémon? Surely, it will make those already difficult-to-obtain pokemon from previous gens even more sought-after. I wouldn't be surprised if a Ruby and Sapphire remake is in the works, or something.

#5 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16722 posts) -

I barely play games online anyways. Disappointing for those who do, but for games like Brawl and such, it's always local. Also, every DS game I have is strong enough in its single player so that I don't feel the need to play the online.

#6 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4735 posts) -

I would have preferred if they waited a bit longer. There are still people who play Brawl as they wait for the next Smash Bros game, and those who still haven't jumped on X and Y for whatever reason. I still trade online in Black 2. I would appreciate it if they excluded Wii and DS titles that still show signs of online activity for another few months, if possible.

#7 Posted by roboccs (6961 posts) -

I've never been a big online guy but the only reason I kept Mario Kart DS was for the occasional online match. Great memories!

#8 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1749 posts) -

this is terrible news... way too soon if you ask me

#9 Posted by Pierst179 (10768 posts) -

That is weirdly depressing.

I had so much fun on those servers.... ='(

#10 Edited by KBFloYd (13440 posts) -

@4myAmuzumament said:

this is terrible news... way too soon if you ask me

yea,,,,xbox and ps3 still have all the call of duties...

now wii doesnt at least have that... i will have no reason to turn on my wii anymore.

maybe thats what nintendo wants. for people to just retire their wii and get a wiiu or 3ds.

#11 Posted by Superzone (3713 posts) -

I've had so much fun with my online Wii and DS games. This is such sad news, it really is. I'll be making sure to enjoy these games online one last time.

#12 Posted by super600 (30523 posts) -

According to this article glu mobile the company that now owns the matching services that nintendo used probably forced the shutdown.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/nintendo-terminating-wi-fi-service-for-ds-and-wii

#13 Edited by KBFloYd (13440 posts) -
@super600 said:

According to this article glu mobile the company that now owns the matching services that nintendo used probably forced the shutdown.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/nintendo-terminating-wi-fi-service-for-ds-and-wii

their mistake for using an outside company.... on one hand they piss off consumers...thats bad..but im sure closing the servers saves them money and forces people to move on...so thats good.

#14 Posted by TTUalumni13 (483 posts) -

We should have a wii forum final night of wii online and all play Mario kart or something lol

#15 Posted by nini200 (9702 posts) -

We should have a wii forum final night of wii online and all play Mario kart or something lol

I'd destroy you all. I've already done it when I competed against the gamespot cast. That was alot of fun though racing against Synthia and the GS crew in the casual tournament back in the day.

This is probably just for Nintendo games though as I don't see them shutting down services for other online games. This would totally suck if they did though because I still enjoy playing COD World At War online.

#16 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

just because the online capability is down for good,it doesn't mean I'm dumping my trusted Wii to the closet immediately.sure it's sad to hear it saying farewell,but at least I can still enjoy much of the games without it.

#17 Posted by CountBleck12 (22760 posts) -

I barely play games online anyways. Disappointing for those who do, but for games like Brawl and such, it's always local. Also, every DS game I have is strong enough in its single player so that I don't feel the need to play the online.

#18 Edited by Raptor_Herc (208 posts) -

Sad to hear and it feels rather premature,considering some DS games with online multiplayer (i.e. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2) only came out about a year and a half ago. It must suck to lost online support after less than two years for them.