Nintendo Wii/DS Wifi connection closing!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

all nintendo WFC games for DS and wii Will be closing in May 20th...

get your last mario kart race or your last smash brawl on before its gone for good.

DS owners get your last pokemon battle on.

:(

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/26/5452180/nintendo-wi-fi-connection-ending-in-may

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

@KBFloYd: Wow that sucks, I wonder if that's for ALL games just just Nintendo games, as there are some games that still have pretty active online communities... even more active than their Wii U counterparts.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

Well that's too bad, it had a good run despite everyone complaining about Nintendo's online.

Fortunately, I don't really play Wii/DS games online anymore. Sucks for those still actively playing though; I imagine there a good number of people still playing the DS Pokemon games online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I actually played my first wifi games with the DS and Wii. I remember I bought the official adapter thing you plugged into the USB of your computer, that created a wireless access point for you. The adapter worked like crap, and both of them I'd bought overheated and broke after a short time, but it did get me hooked on online console gaming and I managed to download my first Virtual Console titles that way.

In late 2007 or so, my family finally got a wireless modem, and that really brought me into the wireless age. Today wireless is the standard, and it's hard to imagine going back to the days when a game system had no Internet connection whatsoever, despite the fact that many things about the pre-Internet-console-gaming age were better.

It's too bad that these games won't be playable online now, but I guess we're used to the fact now that games just get taken offline after a while. I wonder how this will impact Pokémon? Surely, it will make those already difficult-to-obtain pokemon from previous gens even more sought-after. I wouldn't be surprised if a Ruby and Sapphire remake is in the works, or something.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I barely play games online anyways. Disappointing for those who do, but for games like Brawl and such, it's always local. Also, every DS game I have is strong enough in its single player so that I don't feel the need to play the online.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I would have preferred if they waited a bit longer. There are still people who play Brawl as they wait for the next Smash Bros game, and those who still haven't jumped on X and Y for whatever reason. I still trade online in Black 2. I would appreciate it if they excluded Wii and DS titles that still show signs of online activity for another few months, if possible.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I've never been a big online guy but the only reason I kept Mario Kart DS was for the occasional online match. Great memories!

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

this is terrible news... way too soon if you ask me

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

That is weirdly depressing.

I had so much fun on those servers.... ='(

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KBFloYd

@4myAmuzumament said:

this is terrible news... way too soon if you ask me

yea,,,,xbox and ps3 still have all the call of duties...

now wii doesnt at least have that... i will have no reason to turn on my wii anymore.

maybe thats what nintendo wants. for people to just retire their wii and get a wiiu or 3ds.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

I've had so much fun with my online Wii and DS games. This is such sad news, it really is. I'll be making sure to enjoy these games online one last time.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33096 Posts

According to this article glu mobile the company that now owns the matching services that nintendo used probably forced the shutdown.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/nintendo-terminating-wi-fi-service-for-ds-and-wii

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KBFloYd
@super600 said:

According to this article glu mobile the company that now owns the matching services that nintendo used probably forced the shutdown.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/nintendo-terminating-wi-fi-service-for-ds-and-wii

their mistake for using an outside company.... on one hand they piss off consumers...thats bad..but im sure closing the servers saves them money and forces people to move on...so thats good.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

We should have a wii forum final night of wii online and all play Mario kart or something lol

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@ttualumni13 said:

We should have a wii forum final night of wii online and all play Mario kart or something lol

I'd destroy you all. I've already done it when I competed against the gamespot cast. That was alot of fun though racing against Synthia and the GS crew in the casual tournament back in the day.

This is probably just for Nintendo games though as I don't see them shutting down services for other online games. This would totally suck if they did though because I still enjoy playing COD World At War online.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

just because the online capability is down for good,it doesn't mean I'm dumping my trusted Wii to the closet immediately.sure it's sad to hear it saying farewell,but at least I can still enjoy much of the games without it.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts
@turtlethetaffer said:

I barely play games online anyways. Disappointing for those who do, but for games like Brawl and such, it's always local. Also, every DS game I have is strong enough in its single player so that I don't feel the need to play the online.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Sad to hear and it feels rather premature,considering some DS games with online multiplayer (i.e. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2) only came out about a year and a half ago. It must suck to lost online support after less than two years for them.