Nintendo Wi-Fi is shutting down!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

If you haven't heard the news yet, Nintendo announced that they will be shutting down the Nintendo Wi-Fi services on May 20th. What does this mean? It means you cannot play online on any DS, Wii or DSiWare game. 3DS and Wii U will not be affected as it uses Nintendo Network, but it still doesn't mean that you can play DS or Wii games online on the 3DS and Wii U. Nintendo said that other apps like Wii Shop Channel/DSi Shop Channel, YouTube and the other apps will not be affected by this change.

I think they should program Nintendo Network into the Wii and DS games, instead of shutting down online services for good, because there are a lot of people who play online whether it is Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon, Mario Kart Wii and even Animal Crossing.

But what are your opinions on the matter? Feel free to write down your opinions below.

Here is the link to the article if you do not believe me: Nintendo Wi-Fi shutdown article

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts

As someone else mention *believe it was on Gonintendo* if they did keep the service up, would give some people less incentive to go out and buy the Wii U or 3/2DS for the sequels of these games, especially with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros around the corner.

Would be great if Nintendo did keep it up but what can you do.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

I heard it was an issue with gamespy, and the contract/license is up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8

@Serbine: In a way, that is true

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts

@YoshiYogurt: That could be it as well *think I recall hearing that too*, so instead of renewing it they decided to let it go for good.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I read about this on IGN. Those services have been active for a good while, and the user count has probably gone down considerably. If so, I can understand why Nintendo is discontinuing the service - there's no sense in keeping an expensive system running when there aren't enough users to justify it. It had to go some time.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I read about this on IGN. Those services have been active for a good while, and the user count has probably gone down considerably. If so, I can understand why Nintendo is discontinuing the service - there's no sense in keeping an expensive system running when there aren't enough users to justify it. It had to go some time.

A year and a half is a good while?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Jaysonguy: a year and a half? what? Hasn't the Nintendo Wi-Fi been up for as long as the Wii has been out?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8

@YearoftheSnake5: Since Nintendo Network happened, Nintendo Wi-Fi is being used lesser and lesser due to people buying 3DS and Wii U, but they could try to integrate Nintendo Network servers with DS and Wii to get more players online.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

a year and a half? what? Hasn't the Nintendo Wi-Fi been up for as long as the Wii has been out?

Don't mind him. He likes to be a Debbie Downer. It's his 'thing'.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#11 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Im okay with it really, long as the Shop Channel stays up.

The only Wii game I ever even tried to play online was Brawl, and it was so laggy it was unplayable anyway.