Nintendo's Eshop question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Sabin55 (361 posts) -

It was recently released how the Eshop will be able to combine balances from one Nintendo ID. I have not bought the Wii U but I do have a 3ds and a wii. I have around a $95 balance on the wii shop. Does anyone know if this will also be able to combine my balance with the wii and 3ds? I hate having to leave that much money on a console that is not supported anymore.

#2 Edited by JordanElek (17877 posts) -

No, they didn't say anything about Wii Shop Channel balances. There's probably no practical way to retrieve that number because of how poorly the Wii shop was designed.

But, you can transfer your balance from your Wii to Wii Mode on your WiiU when you get one (and you know you will eventually :P). Then, you can spend that money on VC games on the Wii Shop Channel, then their WiiU counterparts will only cost you a dollar. So that money doesn't have to ENTIRELY go to waste.

It really sucks that Nintendo didn't think that far ahead when designing the Wii Shop Channel in the first place.

#3 Posted by Sabin55 (361 posts) -

OK thanks, didn't know it would transfer to a Wii U. I guess I will wait until I get a Wii U and hold onto the points for now.

#4 Posted by JordanElek (17877 posts) -

@Sabin55 said:

OK thanks, didn't know it would transfer to a Wii U. I guess I will wait until I get a Wii U and hold onto the points for now.

Just to be clear, the Wii Shop Channel balance is separate from the WiiU eShop balance. It's dumb. You can't buy eShop games with your Wii Shop Channel points.

Also, anything you have on your Wii can be transferred to your WiiU, so you can buy those VC games now if you want. After you transfer them to the WiiU, they're only available in Wii Mode unless you buy them again in the WiiU eShop. The system checks your console and discounts the price of any VC games already on your console to $1 for the upgrade, which lets you play them on the gamepad and adds a better save state system.

Man, that's way more confusing than it needs to be. I hope that's clear enough. :\

#5 Posted by Sabin55 (361 posts) -

Does that also count for the Wii Ware games I have already purchased?

#6 Edited by JordanElek (17877 posts) -

@Sabin55 said:

Does that also count for the Wii Ware games I have already purchased?

WiiWare games will transfer over, but there's no upgrade option for WiiWare games. You can play them on the gamepad screen in Wii Mode on the WiiU, but you can't use the gamepad controls... you have to use a Wii remote or classic controller, as if the gamepad were just a TV with a Wii hooked up to it. The gamepad has a sensor bar built in.

Basically, once you do the transfer to WiiU, Wii Mode on your WiiU will be an exact replica of your Wii.