Nintendo OS: Only Nintendo made devices or third party devices?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Nintendo OS: Only Nintendo made devices or third party devices? (8 votes)

I want only Nintendo to make Nintendo OS devices, i.e. console and handheld 75%
I want Nintendo OS devices made by companies other than Nintendo, i.e. Samsung, Acer, etc. 25%

Nintendo's next-gen plan is clear. They've literally (Iwata) said they want an iOS like approach, one operating system to unified development across two platforms. He's phrased it similar to the iPhone and iPad in the past, where both get a majority of games/apps but the iPad (the more powerful one) gets some exclusive stuff.

So the Wii U successor will likely play 3DS successor games and make it easy to make two versions of the same game for the price of one, unless Wii U successor developers need more power thus they can use the Nintendo OS Console's increased hardware specs for exclusives.

But should Nintendo license out this Nintendo OS to other companies and allow them to make their own hardware with some base line recommendations? I.e., must have X hardware inside and Nintendo gets a cut from each device sold? They'd likely be able to make a lot of money this way.

Of course they could charge for the OS itself but could charge third parties (imagine Samsung, Dell, etc) a fee to ship a device that uses and plays Nintendo OS games. Nintendo could still make their own handheld/console but open it up to all companies who are willing to pay. This way Nintendo could sell their own version of Nintendo OS hardware at a profit AND reap profits from third parties wanting to produce Nintendo OS hardware.

It would be weird to play Nintendo games on non-Nintendo hardware but what do you think?

• 
simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

I don't care as long as Nintendo stops playing catch up. In other words, as long as the hardware is top notch and up to standards and not significantly lagging behind it's competitors.

Edit: Oh I think I misunderstood your post. Your proposition does sound interesting, and I don't exactly think it's one hundred precent a bad idea, but would specs vary between devices? If so I'd be against it. (I also wonder if it would be successful) Also, based on what Nintendo has said in the past, it doesn't seem likely they would do it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

it depends on how nintendo approaches development.

if its all close to the metal coding to get the most performance then there wouldnt be much other manufacturers could do. they couldnt change the processor or mess around with the OSs features like android. they would have to use the exact hardware (as in exact model number, clock speed etc) specified by nintendo. they cant mess with the OS because if they do they could inadvertently break the games running on the device (adding a messaging app that runs in the background could cause the game to crash because it takes unexpected CPU time for example). i suppose they could offer different form factors, different controller layouts (as long as they still provide the same functions), different quality of screens (same resolution but resolution is not the only thing that dictates quality of a screen) and so on. would i be interested if i was samsung and though? probably not....i would want more control over the device.

if nintendo intend to make their games a bit more hardware agnostic though then it could be a very interesting proposition.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

@simuseb2: Imagine Nintendo says anyone can make their console but it must have X specs. A manufacturer could add say, more RAM for speed, more storage, more capabilities (like say the Nintendo console doesn't play Blu Rays, 32GB flash for $249 and a third party makes one that has 128GB flash, plays Blu Rays, and something else extra for $300-$350 and gives a cut to Nintendo)

So Nintendo would set base specs and all versions would require that at minimum so games would run sufficently. A la Google with Android OS