Nintendo needs games like Starcraft on WiiU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

Seeing as how the gamepad could allow for great hotkeying as well as it makes for great ways to play strategy and tactics games, I think the WiiU would benefit greatly from games like this.

Total War

Command & Conquer

etc could be great.

#2 Posted by sonic_spark (4660 posts) -

I think a Real-Time-Strategy game could work very well.  I'm thinking Starcraft 2 hot keys, and maybe even 2 areas of view at once.  That would make my macro-ing so much better, lol.

#3 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

I think a Real-Time-Strategy game could work very well.  I'm thinking Starcraft 2 hot keys, and maybe even 2 areas of view at once.  That would make my macro-ing so much better, lol.

sonic_spark
Yeah if you're Zerg lol I think I'll main terrans though if this game ever comes to WiiU. Dual views would be crazy good on a game like Starcraft 2. It'd make it much more challenging to break into enemy bases and destroy their workers also. Protoss may benefit from this though as the Mothership gives cloaking to units in range. This could be great.
#4 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

But can WiiU handle them?

As far as I know it's kinda low on the CPU power and these games need quite some CPU power (e.g. the huge battles in TW & "Zerg rush" in SC) if you don't want to watch a slideshow...

#5 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

The gamepad would be awful for RTSs unless the whole game was played solely on the gamepad's screen. You would have to take the TV out of the equation.

#6 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

As far as I know it's kinda low on the CPU power and these games need quite some CPU power (e.g. the huge battles in TW & "Zerg rush" in SC) if you don't want to watch a slideshow...

nameless12345
You make a good point there as these games are pretty CPU heavy. Not sure if it can or not but I'd sure like them to try.

The gamepad would be awful for RTSs unless the whole game was played solely on the gamepad's screen. You would have to take the TV out of the equation.

goblaa
Who said anything about the gamepad being the only way to control the game? Just think of how awesome it would be if you had all your units as 1 button presses on the touchscreen yet you controlled the action on the tv with the WiiMote and Nunchuck. This means now I can simultaneously tell a unit to charge while telling other units to build more units. This setup could add a new way to experience Starcraft or games like it.
#7 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -
Like make a good offshoot of Starcraft like they did with Dead Space Extraction?
#8 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

didnt they make a starcraft on n64 ,    if they could on n64 they sure as heck can do it now 

#9 Posted by bdmckinley (795 posts) -

didnt they make a starcraft on n64 ,    if they could on n64 they sure as heck can do it now 

mariokart64fan
Yup, they sure did. Starcraft on WiiU? Sure, why not. I'd love to see that. At this point I'd be happy to see anything actually.
#10 Posted by simomate (1859 posts) -
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nini200
You make a good point there as these games are pretty CPU heavy. Not sure if it can or not but I'd sure like them to try.

goblaa
Who said anything about the gamepad being the only way to control the game? Just think of how awesome it would be if you had all your units as 1 button presses on the touchscreen yet you controlled the action on the tv with the WiiMote and Nunchuck. This means now I can simultaneously tell a unit to charge while telling other units to build more units. This setup could add a new way to experience Starcraft or games like it.

I was just about to point out that the Wiimote and sensor bar is way to imprecise for this, no matter how much I calbarate it. (Excuse my spelling)... but then I remembered they fixed that with Wii Motion Plus + :D Yeah, I could see that working BUT I think my arm would get sore doing that in an RTS. They take a lot of time and effort and I wouldn't want my arm in the air the whole time... My point of view is that the gamepad could be used like a trackpad, not a touchscreen and therefore the gamepad wouldn't havw be the main screen. Much like how they did it with FPS' on the DS and Kid Icarus.
#11 Posted by redluigi11 (89 posts) -

well i think companys don't want to make an rts for the wii u becasue rts games don't sell all the well on consoles

#12 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="nameless12345"] simomate

I was just about to point out that the Wiimote and sensor bar is way to imprecise for this, no matter how much I calbarate it. (Excuse my spelling)... but then I remembered they fixed that with Wii Motion Plus + :D Yeah, I could see that working BUT I think my arm would get sore doing that in an RTS. They take a lot of time and effort and I wouldn't want my arm in the air the whole time... My point of view is that the gamepad could be used like a trackpad, not a touchscreen and therefore the gamepad wouldn't havw be the main screen. Much like how they did it with FPS' on the DS and Kid Icarus.

This notion that you have to keep your arm in mid air while using the Wiimote has to stop.  You simply rest your arm on your knee or something of the sort and move your wrists.  People don't hold traditional controllers in the air while they play games, the same goes for the wiimote.

Now yes I do agree that wiiMotion + fixed all the slight unaccurateness that the wii started out with.  This combination could be great if using the Wiimote and Gamepad together.  The Wiimote can be used to control the actions on the screen while the gamepad can be used to select units to build, set up way points, do quick actions like macro-ing, rallying and the like.

I truly believe that this type of game could shine on the WiiU.

Of course full game pad control would be an option as well.

#13 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="nameless12345"] You make a good point there as these games are pretty CPU heavy. Not sure if it can or not but I'd sure like them to try.

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

simomate

First off, the wiimote, even without M+ is plenty precise. Even in games like world of goo I could easily throw a goob all up in the air off screen and catch it before it fell. You should watch vids on youtube of people playing the duck hunt game on wii play. They make even the most ace shot on a PC FPS look tame.

Second, PUT DOWN THE WIIMOTE! It's 2013 and there's zero excuse to whine about arm cramps with the wiimote. Stop holding it in the god damn air and maybe you'll stop having any issues. Your precision will go up immensely too.

The issue with using the gamepad like a trackpad is that it leaves so few little buttons left for actual controls. L1 and LZ, a analog stick, a d-pad are not enough to control an RTS. Especially since one of your buttons would have to be a mouse click since you're not looking at the gamepad, you can't use the touch screen to click on units.

With the wiimote/nunchuck though, A could be your mouse click and you could drag over areas to select multiple units. B could be a cancel button. With multiple units selected, you could press a direction on the d-pad to group them together. This way you can quick select units with a single button. The analog stick would select from a ring of commands (think trauma center), C could be held to toggle the analog stick into camera turn and camera zoom, while Z could be held to toggle the analog stick into a view pan so you could look around the battlefield.

I do like the idea of using the gamepad for extra features though. I'm not sure a developer would like the idea of a game using 2-3 controllers at one, nor the idea of an RTS on a console for that matter. There seems to be the belief that an RTS will never sell on a console. My belief is that no one's tried to make the right RTS.

#14 Posted by Mugzippit (59 posts) -

There was Final Fantasy 12 Revenant Wings on the DS which was a RTS. it was pretty basic and the battles ran quite slowly but the stylus touchpad combo worked fine and made an enjoyable experience. given the more power and the bigger touchpad, RTS on the Wii U is more of a possiblity then it has been on consoles before.

#15 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2766 posts) -
not sure what to expect of this. Its better on PCs i think
#16 Posted by moorken (15 posts) -
i don't think Nintendo had strategy game players in mind as target audience for the Wii, its more some kind of family games console
#17 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

I think it could work well, but I don't see it happening.

Pikmin 3 is the best we'll prob get.

#18 Posted by bulby_g (1138 posts) -

Proper RTS games just never work on consoles IMO.  They nearest to an RTS that has been playable are games like Herzog Zwei and Pikmin.  I don't think the gamepad will change that.  

#19 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2092 posts) -
Yes, RTS is perfectly suited to Wii U as FPS was for Wii. Sadly few realized that potential back then so I hope a lot of developers take notice and start doing great RTS for it. For starters, I would like a new Battalion Wars from Nintendo themselves :D