nintendo moved away from dark stories (Good or bad)

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Earthbound had subtext of rape and satanism. Pokemon Gold/Silver's rival had a childhood of neglect. And Zelda: Majora's Mask is an entire game based on how people cope with suffering.

Yet, while other companies have expanded their storytelling, Nintendo has decided to abandon that to stick to safer subjects.

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

Sadly, you're right. Nintendo has begun to shy away from mature themes in favor of childish images. I don't know why they can't support both, but I suppose they feel that in a world of gritty shooters, somebody needs to make more playful games. Still, Nintendo was vastly better when they knew how to balance both. Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker always come to mind when I think of darker, moodier games.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

"You've met with a terrible fate haven't you,Nintendo?" Of course they have!

Yet..It's a good/bad move for me,good one is that they kept Giygas out of its misery after EarthBound and was never to be seen again...bad one is,imagine if Metroid started a peaceful life from the start to finish,it's boring,so let alone its dark secret,Metroid is nothing without the gruesome story basis

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly darker story from Nintendo. Something in the vein of Majroa's Mask perhaps. Although Zelda games still aren't afraid to raise the risks (even if everyone survives in the end, it still brings about threats in its narrative).

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Earthbound had subtext of rape and satanism. Pokemon Gold/Silver's rival had a childhood of neglect. And Zelda: Majora's Mask is an entire game based on how people cope with suffering.

Yet, while other companies have expanded their storytelling, Nintendo has decided to abandon that to stick to safer subjects.

Those games listed didn't do anything, they're the same compared to today's Nintendo.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Skyward Sword was just as controversial because of Ghirahim. Not only does his appearance and personality go outside of societal norms, he also got away with this:

and saying "Still...it seems hardly fair, being of my position, to take all my anger out on you. Which is why I promise up front not to murder you. No, I'll just beat you within an inch of your life!" and "I'll make the affair so excruciating, you'll deafen yourself with the shrill sound of your own screams."

They have focused on more family friendly party games last gen, but it doesn't mean they completely abandoned the hidden dark and moody themes.

Napajeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Napajeni
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Eh, Nintendo has ALWAYS been about making the snotty nosed kids, soccer moms, and soccer dads orgasm with their adolescent themes. They were never ballsy enough to venture down the mature road. If you want a realistically mature theme and mature content, Sony and Micro got you. I would've thought that this has been a well known fact for the ages.

RoniHot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RoniHot
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts

Well, I'd like to point out that they have released games like Red Steel for the Wii. There are mature games for Nintendo, there just aren't a lot of them out there. I think this is because the public views Nintendo as "family friendly." Just like any other corporation, Nintendo is a business and they need to make money. Knowing that the public sees them in this way, they have taken advantage of it by keeping their games rated "G" or "PG." I know it's frustrating, but I play my "grown-up" games on other consoles.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Only Nintendo titles or 3rd party titles as well? Because if they dumb down Castlevania , I'll be pretty bummed.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Jaysonguy: the hell you talking about? Majora's Mask at the very least is dark as shit. There are a ton of really adult themese that aren't exactly glossed over. Although I'll give you that even though yes Gold/ Silver didn't really expand/ handle its "mature" themes (here being the rival having a bad childhood) anywhere enough to be really effective.

@Napajeni: Have you never played Majora's Mask? I'd argue it's a lot darker and a lot more mature than most M rated games for all the shit that's in there (whether it be sad, weird or downright scary).

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Skyward Sword had subtext of Satanism too.

Don't ignore the existence of Xenoblade either.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Skyward Sword was just as controversial because of Ghirahim. Not only does his appearance and personality go outside of societal norms, he also got away with this:

and saying "Still...it seems hardly fair, being of my position, to take all my anger out on you. Which is why I promise up front not to murder you. No, I'll just beat you within an inch of your life!" and "I'll make the affair so excruciating, you'll deafen yourself with the shrill sound of your own screams."

They have focused on more family friendly party games last gen, but it doesn't mean they completely abandoned the hidden dark and moody themes.

PRAISE DEBBIE! JOIN FABULOUNISM!

smitherton4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By smitherton4
Member since 2014 • 67 Posts

I think you are really referring to Zelda. Although I have not played Skyward Sword Twilight Princess certainly was a fairly dark story at times, so I don't see them really moving away from it. It is funny that despite Windwaker's cheery graphics it's story has a certain nihilistic tone underlying everything.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Really the only two franchises than can have dark themes are Zelda and Metroid. Twilight Princess was the darkest game in the franchise, while Skyward Sword had a mentally twisted villain. Metroid Other M? Sure it has a crap story, but it doesn't mean it's particularly aimed at children. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes seems to stand out to me as the darkest installment in the series.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Pikmin is a game where you crash land on an alien planet, encounter a race of plant people, and then sacrifice them all so you can build your ship and escape. That's pretty dark.

Mastermaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mastermaso
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've found this awesome super-realistic controller called Delta Six that is really inmersive and responsive. I already preorder mine and can’t wait to try it!

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 93BlackHawk93

@bbkkristian said:

Really the only two franchises than can have dark themes are Zelda and Metroid. Twilight Princess was the darkest game in the franchise, while Skyward Sword had a mentally twisted villain. Metroid Other M? Sure it has a crap story, but it doesn't mean it's particularly aimed at children. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes seems to stand out to me as the darkest installment in the series.

I would say Fire Emblem is darker than both and Majora's Mask being the darkest Zelda.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#18 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@93BlackHawk93: eh not really, but I've only played Awakening, so what do I know?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 93BlackHawk93

@bbkkristian: Some games contain genocide, incest, demonic possession, etc. But I'm not sure which franchise is darker now...

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I have always thought of Nintendo as for all audiences versus childish. Still feel that way.