Nintendo 'Maker' Series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

I was just thinking how awesome it would be if after 'Mario Maker' Nintendo expanded the franchise and we got, say, 'Donkey Kong Country Maker' and 'Metroid Maker' etc.

Would you buy them? Which franchises would you want 'Maker-fied'?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I would toss money at the screen if they made a Zelda Maker, where you can create your dungeons and what not.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Great idea. Maybe...maybe....

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Star0

Yeah, don't know how I missed the obvious. Zelda Maker would be beast. Heck, if they added support for 4 player or more local and online co-op...

o.O

Endless content and variety.

ALBW didn't quench my 2D Zelda thirst in the least.

Did Four Swords Adventures have online? Never played that on the GC.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

They should at least give us Zelda Maker, I could spend weeks making the best Zelda dungeons ever!

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If Mario Maker is a megahit. Expect Metroid Maker, Zelda Maker, Kirby Maker, Donkey Kong Maker, Star Fox maker, Yoshi maker.

I would like F-Zero maker. But we will have to see how well Mario Maker does before Nintendo does continue the "Maker" series.

Castlevania Maker would be nice. The NES/SNES 2D Castlevania series was my favorite. But if the "Maker" series goes on it will be limited to Nintendo Characters only.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I'm not sure if it's been said or not, but you need to be able to share your levels online, like Little Big Planet. If that's so, I can see Mario Maker being successful. I'm looking forward to it if that's the case.

A Zelda Maker would be absolutely killer!

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Star0

Yup, sharing levels is a must. Also, online co-op or just locally with friends and family would be a great way to re-experience these games in a new way.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I think Maker would be an amazing series. Zelda Maker. DK Country Maker. Heck, Pikmin maker, eventually.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Then, when the Maker series has run its course, they can make a 'Maker Maker' game :P

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Metroid Maker would be phenomenal. That'd be the only one I'd buy.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

I love Donkey Kong Country but I'm not sure if a maker would work as well as Mario. DKC games always feel like an adventure with cool audio/visuals ... it would be more difficult to create an accessible interface that would allow gamers to create DKC levels that are interesting and that I would play.

A Zelda maker makes a ton of sense, though. It could function very similar to Mario Maker. They'd have to give players the opportunity to make some fabulous puzzles, though. I don't want to be pushing blocks, flipping switches,bombing walls half the time.

EDIT: I do think Metroid Maker would be cool, if they could pull it off. It would have to be where you could make anything from a small room, to a huge explorable area.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Star0

@Meinhard1 Hmm...I was referring to the original SNES trilogy not the 'Returns' series so I think it could work. The levels consist of quite straightforward platforming and the narrative was never really all that important. There are loads of hacks available that show what can be done if the right tools are available to the end user. They're pretty fun actually if you haven't tried them.

I'd like to see the following:

Metroid Maker

Bomberman Maker

Blast Corps Maker [this could be more of a reboot of the franchise with a Sim City-like map editor alongside the story mode, to be honest. Blast Corps needs a sequel!]

DKC Maker

Ice Climber Maker

Zelda Maker

Zelda is probably the most obvious choice. I hear there might be a new 3DS Zelda game in the works...

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Even better they need to lets upload our levels for other people to play them and let us download other people's creations

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Star0

@Celsius765:

Exactly. A quick way of uploading speed runs and what not via Miiverse would be great too.

There could ways to create challenges too. For example, create a level with 'x' number of enemies or platforms of a specific type or add barrels in any formation so you get 'x' amount of air time.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I see my money disappearing already. ;)

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#17 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Given how complex is the structure of Metroid and Zelda games, I doubt that will ever happen.

I am not even sure making a Zelda dungeon and a Metroid map is that much fun. =P

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Star0

@trugs26Super Mario RPG Maker?

@Pierst179 I don't see what would be complex about an NES style Metroidvania [self-references ftw xD] or a 'Cave of Ordeals' type dungeon crawler...

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

SNES Mario kart maker.

Or they could get with the times and include a track editor in Mario kart.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Star0

@ttualumni13: Oooooh...O.o...THAT WOULD BE SUPERB! They could even release a new Mario Paint game alongside it and allow us to import tunes into the game.

Genius lol!

EDIT: Apparently Mario Maker was originally conceptualized as a Mario Paint title -> http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37803/mario-maker-originally-conceptualized-as-mario-paint-title

I hope we still get a Mario Paint U.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#21 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

It's a little off-putting, yet liberating...a maker-series.

Speaking as a whole, the idea is funny because it crosses the boundaries between developer and consumer. I won't call it half-assed production, because in all reality it /is/ fun & builds a community, yet it's a newer market and that's my gut reaction.

Yet part of game-play is exploration, and when one makes the maps; all surprises are taken away...cue the community of course---and there will be an unlimited selection of maps... at no extra effort from the company.

(I think the software tech is here though, to paint-a-game with no programming skills. I've picked up RPGMaker on sale, and my nephew & I are having fun learning the software...the concept of /this/ maker-genre is something I'm addressing, not so much nintendo & their classics.)

TLDR, Castlevania.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Star0

@gargungulunk said:

It's a little off-putting, yet liberating...a maker-series.

Speaking as a whole, the idea is funny because it crosses the boundaries between developer and consumer. I won't call it half-assed production, because in all reality it /is/ fun & builds a community, yet it's a newer market and that's my gut reaction.

Yet part of game-play is exploration, and when one makes the maps; all surprises are taken away...cue the community of course---and there will be an unlimited selection of maps... at no extra effort from the company.

(I think the software tech is here though, to paint-a-game with no programming skills. I've picked up RPGMaker on sale, and my nephew & I are having fun learning the software...the concept of /this/ maker-genre is something I'm addressing, not so much nintendo & their classics.)

I call games like LBP or Minecraft 'half-assed' because they're overly complex [relatively speaking] for no good reason. They come off as useless exercises that take way too much time than they should and push the boundaries of what can be classified as a 'product', in my opinion. Freedom of expression is all well and good, but if there are no objectives then I don't see the point. Some people say that you should create your own objectives, but I've found that they're far too simple to be enjoyable in a huge 3D open world.

In contrast, I think once people try these simpler, instant-thrill, pick up and play, 5-10+ dev' time games they'll be hooked and it will be exceedingly popular. They'll be very intuitive due to the game-pad functionality and they'll hypothetically be based on games featuring largely unchanging 2D planes so they won't demand that much of the user either.

With Mario Maker there would be a target, an end goal, a challenge to rise to etc. Project Spark interests me greatly, but I don't have an Xbox One [I think it's coming out on PC too]. It takes what the likes of Minecraft has achieved one step further - it's given the genre some well needed purpose through its varied tool-set. I'm sure Nintendo or Microsoft could release DLC level packs for their respective games too. Back to Project Spark for a second, if there was a way to license games created using that engine...profit? Profit for everyone involved, right? Well, if you have talent that is. Get on that Microsoft. It would be a fantastic way to pool future innovators and net some fresh ideas whilst rewarding people for their efforts. They'd essentially be making a killing for doing nothing but maintenance work.