Nintendo just wtf are you thinking

Posted by jetfreakist (214 posts) -

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/02/nintendo-wifi-shutting-down/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

nintendo is VERY disappointing read up! this crap is just plain bad news

#1 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2912 posts) -

O dear deer,you're too late for the party,Nintendo WFC is in its final 13 days.best to hurry up before it's down to the ground for good

#2 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11503 posts) -

This was announced a long time ago, but like all online service (with fee exceptions) there has to be an end.

#3 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5795 posts) -

I wanted to try The Last Story online but I never had the time to even play the game. Shame... :(

#4 Edited by Syncotic (66 posts) -

Does this include the Wii Store ? , I hope they lower the price on Wii Points to make this worth while for us who still own a Wii, but I don't believe they will

#5 Edited by JordanElek (17950 posts) -

@syncotic: The Wii Shop Channel and DSiWare will still be up. You just won't be able to use the online features in games that used the Nintendo WiFi Connection, like Brawl and Mario Kart.

#6 Posted by outworld222 (2442 posts) -

@jetfreakist: You do know this has nothing to do with Nintendo, but Gamespy shutting down its servers, right?

#7 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7667 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

This was announced a long time ago, but like all online service (with fee exceptions) there has to be an end.

This.

#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (37779 posts) -

@outworld222 said:

@jetfreakist: You do know this has nothing to do with Nintendo, but Gamespy shutting down its servers, right?

It has everything to do with Nintendo

#9 Posted by chromaticity (6 posts) -

Might be a bit sidetracking with the main point of this topic, but I am still sad that the Nintendo 3DS doesn't support WPA2 encryption. Anyway, it sucks that it's going down, but is there a chance the Wii store is shutting down?

#10 Posted by outworld222 (2442 posts) -

@chromaticity said:

Might be a bit sidetracking with the main point of this topic, but I am still sad that the Nintendo 3DS doesn't support WPA2 encryption. Anyway, it sucks that it's going down, but is there a chance the Wii store is shutting down?

Wii store will in no way shut down.

#11 Edited by KBFloYd (14064 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@outworld222 said:

@jetfreakist: You do know this has nothing to do with Nintendo, but Gamespy shutting down its servers, right?

It has everything to do with Nintendo

mortal kombat 9 online will also shut down because it was using the same servers....nintendo aren't totally to blame.

#12 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (861 posts) -

It's for the Wii and DS though. I believe Sony has games on the PSP that no longer have online support either. It's just a matter of moving on. Eventually, Sony and Microsoft will be doing the same for the 360 and PS3.

#13 Posted by Jaysonguy (37779 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@outworld222 said:

@jetfreakist: You do know this has nothing to do with Nintendo, but Gamespy shutting down its servers, right?

It has everything to do with Nintendo

mortal kombat 9 online will also shut down because it was using the same servers....nintendo aren't totally to blame.

Apples and oranges

You're comparing a developer to a game company

The game developer has to do whatever their publisher and the company in charge of the service wants to do.

The game company makes all the rules. They're the ones in the position to build an entire infrastructure when another provider drops the ball.

#14 Posted by JordanElek (17950 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

Apples and oranges

You're comparing a developer to a game company

The game developer has to do whatever their publisher and the company in charge of the service wants to do.

The game company makes all the rules. They're the ones in the position to build an entire infrastructure when another provider drops the ball.

If Gamespy hadn't shut it down, Nintendo's services on those platforms would still be up, so yeah, it has quite a bit to do with Gamespy. Sure, Nintendo could build an entirely new infrastructure to support the old hardware, but that would just be stupid.

#15 Edited by Napajeni (23 posts) -

@jetfreakist said:

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/02/nintendo-wifi-shutting-down/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

nintendo is VERY disappointing read up! this crap is just plain bad news

Hi, Captain. How does it feel to be so incredibly obvious?

@JordanElek said:

Nintendo could build an entirely new infrastructure to support the old hardware, but that would just be stupid.

It would be just as stupid as them making countless numbers of DS and Wii games compatible with the network they are about to shut down. They never had the technological capacity and fortitude to be prepared for the unknown; there's nothing that justifies their fabled forgiveness for leaving said games out in the cold when it comes to their online capabilities. It's a double-edged sword they crafted for themselves.