Nintendo Focusing on Games that Fully Utilize the Gamepad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by RealJaysonguy (236 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/30/nintendo-ceo-the-gamepad-is-the-wii-us-weakness

It may not be the answer to their financial problems, but as a Wii U owner this is exactly what I want from Nintendo. While games like Lego City, ZombiU, and somewhat arguably Pikmin 3 have shown of some cool features of this new controller, we've really yet to see that defining killer-app that every console needs.

Nintendo's the one who made this strange tablet controller, and their responsibility of showing us why it's so important has been taken lightly up to this point.

Nintendo, and companies in general, blow a lot of smoke of people's behinds when it comes to making promises, but making a console and actually doing something interesting with the console doesn't seem like too far of a stretch, and I'm quite exited for what they're going to bring to the table.

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4877 posts) -

I'm definitely curious on what gamepad gameplay ideas they'll implement in the future Zelda and Metroid.

#3 Edited by superbuuman (3182 posts) -

hate to be critical but shouldn't they have done this *before*...make games that take advantage of the gamepad?...

#4 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

Its great to hear and im curious about the other tactic they mentioned, wanting to make their IP's flexible to external developers, meaning more partnerships. The fact that they mentioned that they are already negotiating shows things are moving fast.

#5 Edited by Chozofication (3736 posts) -

I'm against this, the gamepad sucks. :/ Hopefully it's kept to more of an optional thing, I don't want to play zelda with the gamepad that's for sure.

#6 Edited by RealJaysonguy (236 posts) -

@Chozofication: Unfortunately right now, the Gamepad's a bit of a burden. Three hour battery life for a screen I barely look at is not what I was expecting when I bought a Wii U, I've seen glimmers of hope with earlier titles, and I want Nintendo to wow me with what they can do with this controller.

I'm curious, do you not like the Gamepad solely based on the controller itself -- size, battery life, etc -- or do you not like the burden of playing games on an oversized controller that isn't being utilized?

#7 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7984 posts) -

I hope so. The Gamepad makes many experiences much more convenient. Having the HUD on the GP in AC4, mapping powers to the touchscreen in ME3, menu and hacking functionality in Deus Ex, and the various GP features in ZombiU all, in my opinion, made the games better than if the functionality wasn't there. I played ME3 with both the Gamepad and Pro Controller, and found that I preferred the Gamepad for its additional features. The Gamepad does not need to go underutilized. Even the most basic and common sense additions make a difference.

#8 Edited by Chozofication (3736 posts) -

@realjaysonguy said:

@Chozofication: Unfortunately right now, the Gamepad's a bit of a burden. Three hour battery life for a screen I barely look at is not what I was expecting when I bought a Wii U, I've seen glimmers of hope with earlier titles, and I want Nintendo to wow me with what they can do with this controller.

I'm curious, do you not like the Gamepad solely based on the controller itself -- size, battery life, etc -- or do you not like the burden of playing games on an oversized controller that isn't being utilized?

Like you said, the battery life is awful, it's big and clunky and not ergonomic. So primarily, it's just a bad controller.

Really, I don't think there's anything to utilize in the first place. The whole point besides off screen play is using the second screen like the second screen on the DS, but this works poorly for Wii U because the gamepad screen and tv are so far apart unlike on the DS, and even for the DS i've never seen anything done with it to become a staple of gaming, it's all just something new for the sake of being new.

The only game so far that makes some good use of the gamepad is pikmin 3, but even then it is disjointed, because I use the wii mote for primary control. it tells you to look at the gamepad all the time for cutscenes, assuming you're holding the gamepad all the time and it's just awkward having the look over at the pad so many times, and on top of that switching controllers evey time I want to look at something or scan the map.

So the gamepad mainly acts as a disjointing detriment more than a helpful tool, Pikmin is just one example. Wonderful 101 has it worse (I use the Wii U pro) because it's used in gimmicky ways, so pikmin is like a best case scenario.

As for off screen play, that's good in itself but I have no reason to use it. The ps4 and ps vita are the perfect set of hardware, Nintendo should look at that dynamic for their next gen hardware, that way the could keep off screen play, going back to a single screen handheld.

Anyways, the less I have to use the gamepad, the better. DKC:TF had me hoping they'd keep the gamepad use to a minimum, but we'll see.

#9 Posted by mariokart64fan (19650 posts) -

good , gamepad is the best controller ive used and so what if the battery life is 5 hours, my 360 only gets me about 8 on aas so , not to bad ,

#10 Posted by RealJaysonguy (236 posts) -

@Chozofication: For the battery, I've just accepted that I have to have a plug within the range of my couch. Battery life hasn't been a problem since. Also, have you played Lego City? I think that pretty much nailed Gamepad utilization on the head.

#11 Edited by Chozofication (3736 posts) -

@realjaysonguy said:

@Chozofication: For the battery, I've just accepted that I have to have a plug within the range of my couch. Battery life hasn't been a problem since. Also, have you played Lego City? I think that pretty much nailed Gamepad utilization on the head.

Yeah you just have to keep your charger on hand, I just leave it in the charger at all times..

No, but I might get it when it's cheap, it looks pretty fun.

#12 Posted by RealJaysonguy (236 posts) -

It does the Gamepad justice. I think the key to utilizing the second screen is finding ways to use it that doesn't draw your attention away from the TV in a necessary situation. In Lego City, it's used as the infrared scanner, your overworld map, and to field calls from people around the city. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but it's used well.

#13 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -
@superbuuman said:

hate to be critical but shouldn't they have done this *before*...make games that take advantage of the gamepad?...

Yep, they should, but better late than never I guess. It is one of the main reasons why the Gamepad did not cause the splash Nintendo was expecting.

We can look at it in two ways. Either the executive management did not make it clear enough to developers and other managers that games should have major Gamepad features - which was key to pushing the hardware, or they simply could not come up with anything worthy of being added to the game.

Nintendo Land was packed with great ideas. But it just stopped there.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18198 posts) -

Have they found a way to get multiple gamepads to be used simultaneously in games.

#15 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7817 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Have they found a way to get multiple gamepads to be used simultaneously in games.

Only in online play, as far as I know. They don't even sell the gamepads separately.

#16 Posted by superbuuman (3182 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

local play max is 2... http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/nintendo-two-wii-u-gamepads-will-work-on-one-system/

#17 Posted by TTUalumni13 (746 posts) -

Lame news for me, gamepad exclusive features means off-screen play is less likely, like in games like Lego City. No off-screen, no buy :(

#18 Edited by starwolf474 (965 posts) -

This news worries me and I just hope that they still give us an alternative option of using the Pro Controller for all games.

I hate the gamepad and I will be pissed if I'm forced to use it in any games that I want, but I'm ok with it as long as they still give a Pro Controller option for those of us that prefer playing on a traditional, ergonomic controller without gimmicks.