nintendo attempts digital foundry with windwaker WiiU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the difference looks huge. 

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Can't wait to set sail again. Looks good :)

Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
Really excited to play this, I ended up reserving at GameStop for that Ganondorf figurine.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
The game looks clearer and crisper, but overall, the differences aren't enough for me to go out and buy the game. The GC version to me still looks beautiful and I still have it. It didn't need a remake. I'm glad for everyone who is excited for it. And it's great for those who never played the original. It is a GREAT game.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I just replayed this on the Gamecube a couple years ago... beating it like 3 or 4 times I don't really feel excited for it at the moment. Maybe I'll need to wait a while to play it once again. Can someone tell me how many new features have been added to the game? Maybe it's worth reliving it a 5th time. :P
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I just replayed this on the Gamecube a couple years ago... beating it like 3 or 4 times I don't really feel excited for it at the moment. Maybe I'll need to wait a while to play it once again. Can someone tell me how many new features have been added to the game? Maybe it's worth reliving it a 5th time. :Prubber-chicken

No fault on you man but it speaks about how much misinformation is being spread about this remake that you can frequent a forum like this but not know the new features.

-The whole game can be played in first person but sword combat is still third.

-Sailing is faster and you don't need to use the Wind Waker after completing first dungeon

-Hero mode makes the game much harder.

-Triforce fetch quest is greatly improved with only 3 of the 8 charts needing to be translated

Those are just a few other than full 1920x1080 visuals

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
Crystal clear! I'm undecided if I should keep my old GC version too...
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

-Triforce fetch quest is greatly improved with only 3 of the 8 charts needing to be translated

bonesawisready5

This concerns me. I am going to be playing through the Wind Waker for the first time and I want to make sure I get the full Wind Waker experience. I do not mind minor cosmetic changes to remakes (like a save anywhere feature in a game that did not previously have one) but are they taking stuff out of the game? 

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
Yes, the graphics for the Wii U's Wind Waker looks nicer then the GameCube's WW. I'm already looking forward to this game. I'm gonna buy this game along side with A Link Between Worlds.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
there is also something called the Tingle bottle, which is a route for miiverse communication in-game
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

Euaggelistes

This concerns me. I am going to be playing through the Wind Waker for the first time and I want to make sure I get the full Wind Waker experience. I do not mind minor cosmetic changes to remakes (like a save anywhere feature in a game that did not previously have one) but are they taking stuff out of the game? 

In the original you had to find 8 charts and get tingle to translate all 8 of them. It was boring and tiresome since it had you sailing around the whole world just to do one thing. In the remake you only have to have tingle translate 3 of the 8, and the last 5 can simply be taken without that much work or being translated. It sounds like it makes a 2-3 hour boring experience a faster, 1-1.5 hour experience

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I think the GameCube version still looks really good. Though, now that I see it in motion, I'm not sure how I feel about all that bloom. That's a lot of bloom.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

I think the GameCube version still looks really good. Though, now that I see it in motion, I'm not sure how I feel about all that bloom. That's a lot of bloom. meetroid8

i think it looks pretty. very artistic.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I think the GameCube version still looks really good. Though, now that I see it in motion, I'm not sure how I feel about all that bloom. That's a lot of bloom. meetroid8
yea, but Nintendo is still a n00b with HD stuff..give them time to sort it out. Just dont' be surprise  of more bloom in their couple of games..hehehe. That clip actually shows how well GC version holds up...Wii U version shows difference, but not wow difference...need more shades of colours..still have plenty of flat solid colours. :P

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

The bloom is there to make it actually feel like it is a tropical island and that you can actually feel how hot the sun is in the game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts
im also not happy about the bloom. i have heard the tropical island argument and i dont buy it. it looks like a very basic implementation of bloom (is it just basic bloom or is it nintys first stab at HDR?) other than that though its looking quite nice. the GC version still looks ace so the remake is building on a very solid foundation. the lighting (sans the bloom) is also heavily upgraded and looks nicer. i cant wait to see some of the dungeons in action (i am not looking at vids..i want a surprise).
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]I think the GameCube version still looks really good. Though, now that I see it in motion, I'm not sure how I feel about all that bloom. That's a lot of bloom. Nintendo_Ownes7

The bloom is there to make it actually feel like it is a tropical island and that you can actually feel how hot the sun is in the game.

But that's not at all how tropical islands look... Bloom makes things look fluffy, it doesn't make them look warmer.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"]I just replayed this on the Gamecube a couple years ago... beating it like 3 or 4 times I don't really feel excited for it at the moment. Maybe I'll need to wait a while to play it once again. Can someone tell me how many new features have been added to the game? Maybe it's worth reliving it a 5th time. :Pbonesawisready5

No fault on you man but it speaks about how much misinformation is being spread about this remake that you can frequent a forum like this but not know the new features.

-Sailing is faster and you don't need to use the Wind Waker after completing first dungeon

Hmm, I don't know how special these new features really are... -If you play the game in first person, what would happen when you try and use your sword; would it just switch into 3rd person and let you attack, or would it not let you attack at all until you manually switch back into 3rd person? Regardless, it seems like it would be lame to try and play in 1st person at all when the game relies so heavily on using the sword. -Is hero mode pretty much the mode where you play the game with Link's pajamas on? Or is it something that wasn't available in the GameCube version? Because I think I may have beat the game in hero mode already. -What do you mean by "you don't need to use the Wind Waker?" Don't you need the Wind Waker to unlock/open things and progress through the game? Or are you only referring to teleporting with the Ballad of Gales?
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"]I just replayed this on the Gamecube a couple years ago... beating it like 3 or 4 times I don't really feel excited for it at the moment. Maybe I'll need to wait a while to play it once again. Can someone tell me how many new features have been added to the game? Maybe it's worth reliving it a 5th time. :Prubber-chicken

Hmm, I don't know how special these new features really are... -If you play the game in first person, what would happen when you try and use your sword; would it just switch into 3rd person and let you attack, or would it not let you attack at all until you manually switch back into 3rd person? Regardless, it seems like it would be lame to try and play in 1st person at all when the game relies so heavily on using the sword. -Is hero mode pretty much the mode where you play the game with Link's pajamas on? Or is it something that wasn't available in the GameCube version? Because I think I may have beat the game in hero mode already. -What do you mean by "you don't need to use the Wind Waker?" Don't you need the Wind Waker to unlock/open things and progress through the game? Or are you only referring to teleporting with the Ballad of Gales?

Well you could have simply googled the things I mentioned and discovered for yourself. But no you don't have to use the WW to sail, you can get an item after the first dungeon to make the winds go where you want them to and make you sail faster.

Also, Hero Mode isn't anything like you said, its a brand new mode with more enemies, tougher enemies, and less chances to get hearts to increase your health.

I imagine you can do everything in first person then it zooms back to third when you press the sword button, then back in when you want.