Before I go into my post, let me say that while I consider myself a gamer, I have always been behind my Xbox and my PC. I have not really been into Nintendo since my N64 (and even then, that might be the best Christmas present I ever bought). So, I will need some advice.
My Girlfriend and I's anniversary is coming up. She was talking about buying a present out of the box, something sappy, but not too romantic, and something we could do together. Fortunately, this conversation took place in Best Buy while we were walking past the kiosk for Mario Kart 8 (the only game I could see myself buying for the Wii U). She stopped at the Nintendo DS XL station and played Mario Kart, and another game. I was in complete shock. My Girlfriend is so anti-video games its insane. She was like addicted, and so we continued down the isle, and she picked up like 5 or 6 games she just absolutely wanted then and there. So, she brought up the concept and possibility of her buying a DS XL for me, and vice versa. So, rant aside, here are some of the bare bone questions I have.
1. Simply put, is it worth buying? Handhelds have never done well with me. My PSP was barely played, and my Vita just never hooked me in.
2. Games? I love Mario Kart, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, etc. Beyond that, I feel like I would be really stretching my identity to find a game worth buying a system of this much.
3. What is the shell life of this system? PS Vita seemed dead on arrival (I will place the blame on the Nintendo's prowess). That being said, I don't want to buy another handheld that will be left in the dust.
4. Where is the best place to buy these at, and games? Best Buy had it for 200, and the average game was around high 20s and mid 30s. That did not seem right to me.
5. Would a non video game playing, fully responsible adult female really fall in love with something like this? I love spoiling her, and she seemed to generally enjoy it (she loves animation, Disney, cartoons, etc). Would this really do it? Or is this going to be under her bed one day?
I hate being that question guy, but honestly, covering the internet for these questions seemed like a neverending cycle of continuous 'I don't know' and 'what!?'. Please help, thanks.