New info on Splatoon from Famitsu.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Some new information was released on Splatoon today, from Famitsu.

The following information was translated by StreetsAhead on NeoGAF...

- Team made up of lots of staff that worked on Wii U launch titles. Once they'd grasped the hardware, they wanted to create something innovative.

-Working on a local multiplayer mode in addition to online and Hero Mode

- Hero mode is predominantly a 3D platformer with heavy emphasis on human-squid transformations

- Random matching is done world wide, game tries to place you with players close to your skill level based on ratings

- Tried implementing a system whereby you could give orders to your team mates, but battles were too quick and hectic for them to be effective so they got rid of the feature

- Game won't use CPU fighters; only once 8 human players have been found will a match start

-Having multiple modes with random matching would limit the number of players per mode, so all the focus is on the 4 vs. 4 for that

- No communication with players you are matched with

- They didn't think of using Bloopers when they decided on squids (they apparently forgot they existed)

- No money can be earned in Hero Mode. Your points, as displayed at the end of the match, are turned into money and experience points.

- A lot of the music is written by Tooru Minegishi (who has worked on Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Super Mario)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150548066&postcount=1434

Pretty disappointed with some of the information here. Splatoon was one of my most anticipated games for this year. I was expecting this to be Nintendo's first ''fully featured' online game. But the matchmaking system, lack of voice chat for a squad based shooter, Turf Wars being the only online mode(I might be reading that wrong though), leaves me a bit disappointed.

What do you all think? does any of this news disappoint? Or does some of it actually excite you?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I like the idea of the 4 player local mode. Maybe a system connect feature for full 8 on 8 would be cool. Otherwise It looks to be a pretty interesting game. Some info on the number of maps would be nice.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

No voice chat for a squad based territory shooter is a deal breaker for me.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@ttualumni13 said:

why? you and your little clan of no-lifes wanted to be douchebags and pub stomp random players?

look at battefield....no one talks in that game and its suppose to be a team game too...

chatting in call of duty is basically pure trash talking.

thinkcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thinkcap
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

I'm very hyped for this, but if it doesn't include Wii remote and nunchuk support that's a big missed opportunity in my opinion. Open your eyes developers. Dual-analog feels a bit sluggish and archaic (to me) after using Wii remote aiming for a few years.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@ttualumni13 said:

why? you and your little clan of no-lifes wanted to be douchebags a pub stomp random players?

look at battefield....no one talks in that game and its suppose to be a team game too...

It's just something that makes a lot of sense for a game like this. Communication in something like Turf Wars seems like something that should be obvious. Even if it is just restricted to your squad while in game.

For a game that is suppose to be 'Nintendo's next great franchise" it just comes off right now as pretty half-hearted. Look at how many game modes something like COD has had for years, and yes I understand that most people just run to TDM or DM, and do nothing else. But this was a game where I was hoping we'd have strictly team based game modes. Capture the Flag, Turf Wars, and maybe something else to keep it varied.

But who knows, I still enjoy Mario Kart 8, and the only mode worth anything is the racing. I think It will come down to how varied the Maps are, how different all the weapons play, and how much customization their is in load-outs.

But ease of matchmaking, and communication is something that people have been expecting out of games like this for years. It's just a little disappointing to see Nintendo...just being so....Nintendo.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Wild_man_22 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@ttualumni13 said:

why? you and your little clan of no-lifes wanted to be douchebags a pub stomp random players?

It's just something that makes a lot of sense for a game like this. Communication in something like Turf Wars seems like something that should be obvious. Even if it is just restricted to your squad while in game.

For a game that is suppose to be 'Nintendo's next great franchise" it just comes off right now as pretty half-hearted. Look at how many game modes something like COD has had for years, and yes I understand that most people just run to TDM or DM, and do nothing else. But this was a game where I was hoping we'd have strictly team based game modes. Capture the Flag, Turf Wars, and maybe something else to keep it varied.

But who knows, I still enjoy Mario Kart 8, and the only mode worth anything is the racing. I think It will come down to how varied the Maps are, how different all the weapons play, and how much customization their is in load-outs.

But ease of matchmaking, and communication is something that people have been expecting out of games like this for years. It's just a little disappointing to see Nintendo...just being so....Nintendo.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. Voice chat should be a no brainer for a game like this. This has decreased my excitement for splatoon a bit but I'll wait and see what the final game turns out to be then I'll make my decision.

Also I'm not seeing any support for Pointer Controls yet. Dual Analog only is not the way to go anymore with shooters.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

No communication between players you're matched with? lolwut? Voice chat is a good thing to have in squad-based multiplayer games. I wouldn't use it, because I don't use voice chat in any online games, but it's a feature that should be there.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm actually hoping they find a way to include something like a horde mode. Even if its offline only it would be fun to do some co op.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

@KBFloYd: Try harder!

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Still not hyped.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

people were expecting voice chat?

mario kart dont have it... smash dont have it...

goldeneye 007 on wii didnt have it and people loved that game...

i play call of duty and always turn voice chat off... dont see the issue.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I mean if there were tiers in the game, then yeah voice chat might be useful. (Think cs go, voice chat is useful)

If there are no tiers, then voice chat is pointless.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

This game never interested me from the start. I might still buy it just to support the new IP, but I'm not really feeling the whole concept of the game.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@ttualumni13 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@KBFloYd all games should cater to your needs and your needs only bruh.

Games like Call of Duty may not require much voice chat, but games that are actually tactical, skill-based and require good teamwork are an absolute must. The Last of Us being a prime recent example. If Splatoon is gonna be at all competitive, it needs a voice chat feature for those who wish to party up and use it.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

Both Mario Kart and Smash need it though. I guess Nintendo doesn't care that people like to communicate as they play together. It's getting to the point where my first reaction to hearing the word "Nintendo" is to laugh.

People did love Goldeneye 007 but the lack of communication has always been a con of the game. Reloaded came out on the 360 and ps3 and it was much better than what was offered on the Wii.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I was sold with vs World online play. No voice mode ever, i cant play vs or with world if i have to learn their lango. Nintendo is a universal language. Just keep it at gestures and short sayings. Like Good game. Me cry. You so silly. Dont do that. I gone get you.