Name the next Nintendo console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

Whatever it's name is it cannot, for any reason at all, have the word Wii in it's name, or it'll be just like how people weren't able to realize the Wii U and Wii were separate consoles.

It needs a name that emphasizes power, or at least a name that will entice people to buy it.

Case in point, two of the greatest console names in history; Super NES and PlayStation. Both names emphasize how great their respective consoles were. It's the Super NES, because that's how much of a leap it was from it's predecessor. PlayStation says exactly what Sony's first console was for; A place to go to play popular games (Crash Bandicoot and Metal Gear Solid to name a few).

That's why I think the next Nintendo console needs to be called the Nintendo Storm (If they haven't been thinking of that name for something else already). Just read it out loud. It hides Nintendo's kiddie image, and evokes an idea of power and greatness. As long as Nintendo would release first-party software to back up the name, it would fit.

Well, time for me to shut up and let anyone else here say what they would name the next Nintendo console, and why.

#2 Posted by Sphensen (708 posts) -

Nintendo 4K

#3 Edited by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

@Sphensen said:

Nintendo 4K

That sounds good to, but I don't know why.

#4 Posted by Chozofication (2687 posts) -

Sega had the best surreal named consoles, but that won't work for nintendo.

should be something simple, like gamecube.

#5 Posted by Animatronic64 (3971 posts) -

Nintendo Duo... oh ho ho would have been a better name for the Wii U.

#6 Posted by trugs26 (5122 posts) -

Nintendo Super Boxstation DreamSteam Mega Master Cube System.

#7 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

Wii 3.

#8 Edited by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

Wii 3.

That's terrible, and it sounds too much like the unrelated graphic novel We3.

#9 Edited by Celsius765 (598 posts) -

The Nintendo Odyssey. I mean think about itan odyssey is a long wandering eventful journey

#10 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

The Nintendo Odyssey. I mean think about itan odyssey is a long wandering eventful journey

That name was already taken by another console years ago.

How about the Nintendo Fortress? I don't know why, but I have a good feeling about that kind of name.

#11 Posted by PonchoTaco (1904 posts) -

Gamesphere..... GAMESPHERE

#12 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

@PonchoTaco: Sounds too much like GameCube, and Nintendo doesn't want that to happen again.

#13 Edited by TJDMHEM (80 posts) -

wii 3.

#14 Edited by spike6958 (4651 posts) -

Wii Puu

#15 Posted by Ovirew (6246 posts) -

Revolution. We never got it. XD

#16 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

Revolution. We never got it. XD

Sure, why not? XD

#17 Posted by juboner (341 posts) -

Wii Sorry ( for the wii U )

jk

#18 Edited by Sphensen (708 posts) -

@TransformerRobo: it's a take from the Nintendo 64. Hopefully when the next Nintendo console comes out as a power house and being doing some 4k resolution

#19 Posted by Mordant221 (29 posts) -

SNES 2, which the N64 should have been named. With the Gamecube being called SNES 3

As boring as it sounds, it worked for Sony. Think about it, every single one of their consoles have sold over 50 million units, from the PS1 to the PSP. An I'm pretty sure the names had something to do with it.

I mean WiiU? Xbox One? Really?

#20 Posted by btroof (12 posts) -

@Sphensen: that's what I want to see. Plus they have a head start to be the first to do it.

Wii 3 sounds good but I would go with something like Nintendo Eclipse

#21 Posted by superbuuman (2531 posts) -

as long as its not Wii -> worst name ever.

#22 Edited by tocool340 (20417 posts) -

It depends on entirely in the ideas behind their next console. If its gonna be another Wii style console where its a generation weaker than the competition, then another Wii iteration type name would probably be appropriate. Otherwise, I like the idea of Nintendo Revolution, if they decide to take a different approach...

#23 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -

Nintendo and their naming of their systems are a joke. As long as it doesn't have anything linking it to the Wii, it should be cool. Many people are still confused by the WiiU, and they should be. Nintendo should have called it something different and it would have been more successful.

I can only hope they will call their new console something cool, but I see something like Wii U Plus or Wii U Mii or something comical like that. Folks at nintendo has a weird since of humor.

#24 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10847 posts) -

Nintendo Supernova.

Honestly though I have no idea. I do like the Revolution name still like others have said.

#25 Edited by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

Nintendo Supernova.

Honestly though I have no idea. I do like the Revolution name still like others have said.

I was worried that name would be too cheesy.

#26 Edited by Grieverr (2546 posts) -

Wii-U-Mii-Us! lol

I do think that the Playstation is the coolest name ever for a console (well, I did think Turbografx sounded pretty boss back then)! And it's been very easy to identify the new Sony as the PS1/2/3/4. It's simple, communicates its purpose, and it's easy for the public to follow. Although at some point that will need to stop, I can't imagine being excited for the name "Playstation 12".

Anyway, I think Nintendo needs a naming convention where future consoles can easily be named 2,3, etc... I do not think aggressive and action words, like Fortress and Storm, are right though. And even though it sounds cool, I don't think Revolution is the way to go either. It needs a simple name that everyone can relate to.

I like "Nintendo 4k". It's simple and has a techy kind of name. However, I do think it could cause some confusion as to whether the system can play games on TVs other than 4k. I also can't think of what the follow up to that would be. The 4k-2? The 5k?

I'm thinking Nintendo should revisit a popular name, find a way to re-brand and modernize it, and find an easy way to follow it up. Basically, I'm saying let's get back to the NES brand. Call it the NES-something. Or Ultra NES, Hyper NES, New NES, NES 2. I don't know, but something like that.

#27 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

@Grieverr said:

Wii-U-Mii-Us! lol

I do think that the Playstation is the coolest name ever for a console (well, I did think Turbografx sounded pretty boss back then)! And it's been very easy to identify the new Sony as the PS1/2/3/4. It's simple, communicates its purpose, and it's easy for the public to follow. Although at some point that will need to stop, I can't imagine being excited for the name "Playstation 12".

Anyway, I think Nintendo needs a naming convention where future consoles can easily be named 2,3, etc... I do not think aggressive and action words, like Fortress and Storm, are right though. And even though it sounds cool, I don't think Revolution is the way to go either. It needs a simple name that everyone can relate to.

I like "Nintendo 4k". It's simple and has a techy kind of name. However, I do think it could cause some confusion as to whether the system can play games on TVs other than 4k. I also can't think of what the follow up to that would be. The 4k-2? The 5k?

I'm thinking Nintendo should revisit a popular name, find a way to re-brand and modernize it, and find an easy way to follow it up. Basically, I'm saying let's get back to the NES brand. Call it the NES-something. Or Ultra NES, Hyper NES, New NES, NES 2. I don't know, but something like that.

I just thought of another one then, and it fits with what my idea would be for launching and selling the console;

-It's named "Mega Nintendo"

-Launches with a Mario game that plays in a new style (Extreme Parkour Mario most likely)

-1.5 times more powerful than the competition (at the very least) to attract third-party developers.

-Other launch titles include 1 game from at least 7 other key Nintendo franchises.

-Online systems that match the competition.

#28 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4608 posts) -

I actually like 4k. It's simple and easy to say in multiple languages.

:P

#29 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

@PonchoTaco said:

Yeah, 4K is better.

#30 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16427 posts) -

PiiU2poo.

#31 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16427 posts) -

@PonchoTaco said:

Every time this GIF plays I hear Josh's high pitched voice saying it in my head.