Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

Many say sales figures from VGChartz aren't worth anything. But it's the only place posting on Bayo 2 figures for North America so far, so I find it interesting. They're reporting that Bayonetta 2 was the #1 selling game in the region for the period (not sure what days this is covering), moving 121,752 units. I'm loving my copy so far. I beat the first one and I'm about half-way through the sequel (playing on the 2nd Climax difficulty).

This number seems pretty good, not including the sales on the eShop (Reggie said in an interview with Record that so far 10% of sales of Bayo 2 in America are eShop digital purchases).

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

lolvgchartz

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

Could this sell well enough to lead Nintendo to greenlight a Bayonetta 3 I wonder. It might be a bit of a long shot with Bayonetta 2 doing not nearly as well commercially in other territories as it seems to be doing in North America/the United States. Still I’d love to see Nintendo continue their relationship with Platinum Games. Dare I say... MadWorld U aha

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I don't think there needs to be a Bayonetta 3. The system is perfected in 2. If they're going to do a new one, I'd want it to be drastically different, and at that point, they should just do a new IP.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

VGChartz is generally not totally accurate from my understanding but can give you at least an idea of whether or not a game sold well at release. If these numbers are true then that's actually better than I thought it would be. Even though this game (and the series overall) has been critically acclaimed, I figured a niche title on a console with a relatively low install base would have disappointing numbers.

This speaks to the great word of mouth praise this game is getting and it's great timing of release since WiiU owners are clamoring for more games.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

according to vcg overall they are probably at about 270k to 300k units sold LTD.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Sadly, it will never sell as well as it should because so many stuck up gamers can't bring themselves to buy a Wii U.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

When games like Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon find success we will see Nintendo green light more projects that are completely different than what we are used to seeing from their lineups.

It would be a welcomed change.

Bayonetta 2 being a darker game.

Splatoon being the first team based competitive game they have ever made to my knowledge.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Sadly, it will never sell as well as it should because so many stuck up gamers can't bring themselves to buy a Wii U.

nintendo try to alienate people on purpose though....i dont know why.....their handhelds are their flagship....console is 2nd fiddle and purposely gimped imo.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#10 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Ya Nintendo alienated people by releasing a 400 console with no games oh wait that's someone else..... Try again If people wanna say wiiu has no games guess gamers are too blind. They are there wiiu has more games that are exclusive to it and justify the purchase others have multiplAts I want game I can't find on last Gen wiiu is the only one offering that

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

That's a very good 2 day sales tracking for the week, it released on a Friday, they list global sales at 250K, which is actually pretty good if you look proportionally at userbase of when the game released. The Xbox 360 and PS3 had a combined install-base of like 70 million when Bayonetta released, and only sold like 2 million copies. Wii U has a userbase of like 1/10th that, so no surprise sales are 1/10th that. Actually I'd argue Bayonetta 2 is currently doing better, after all it's already after first week's tracking at 250K, proportionally more than sales on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in comparison to its userbase.

I hope with all the great reviews it gets a ton of GOTY nominations and awards, then maybe with that exposure it can sustain sales a bit longer. First game actually didn't have a sales fall off as eary as people would expect. Fans were very vocal of their support, had a good cult following. Hopefully that same support drives sales long enough for good things to happen.

I hope Nintendo continues to have a working relationship with Platinum. I'd love to see Nintendo fund Bayonetta 3 and/or maybe Vanquish 2.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

I would rather see NPD or official Nintendo shipment figures instead of a dubious source like VGChartz.com.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

@mariokart64fan said:

Ya Nintendo alienated people by releasing a 400 console with no games oh wait that's someone else..... Try again If people wanna say wiiu has no games guess gamers are too blind. They are there wiiu has more games that are exclusive to it and justify the purchase others have multiplAts I want game I can't find on last Gen wiiu is the only one offering that

Wii U had "no games" for the first year

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

If they greenlit the retail bomb that Bayo 2 will inevitably be, sure they'll fund a third one if Platinum wants to make it.

The Lords of Fallen devs said they are making profit off their PS4/XB1 game after selling only 200k copies (game cost like $12m I think) so maybe Bayo 2 could actually break even and post profits for Nintendo/Plat.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@Avatar_Taxidous: News flash NO Platinum Games, game has ever sold amazingly lol. Platinum doesn't care to much about sales, as long as a profit is made even a small one they will continue on. They simply make crazy games they want to and they are happy with that.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@JordanElek said:

I don't think there needs to be a Bayonetta 3. The system is perfected in 2. If they're going to do a new one, I'd want it to be drastically different, and at that point, they should just do a new IP.

Honestly...i wouldn't mind Bayonetta 3, even if it is the same as Bayo 2, the game is so freaking good i want more of the same.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Is there a better source for Bayonetta 2 sales figure? :P

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@JordanElek said:

More Bayonetta 2-like games in tone and attitude from the house of Mario would be an important move by Nintendo.