This topic is locked from further discussion.

b2trumpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 b2trumpet
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts

Last night there was a severe thunderstrom that didn't do much, but cause a short small power surge. When I go to my room though, I notice the yellow light on the Wii isn't on. I trying unplugging the power cable from the Wii and power outlet and plugging them in, but still no light. It won't turn on, and trying to turn it on by the Wiimotes just cause them to blink and do nothing. I'm very concerned that the Wii may be dead. It just doesn't make sence because the power is connected to a power strip, and on the same strip is a HDTV, Audio System, Audio Equalizer, and Xbox 360, and they all work just fine. The Wii was not on during the storm, and wasn't on since the day before. Anyone know what I can do besides calling Nintendo? It's no under warrenty, and don't know how much it costs to get it fixed.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

xchurchillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xchurchillx
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts
[QUOTE="b2trumpet"]

Last night there was a severe thunderstrom that didn't do much, but cause a short small power surge. When I go to my room though, I notice the yellow light on the Wii isn't on. I trying unplugging the power cable from the Wii and power outlet and plugging them in, but still no light. It won't turn on, and trying to turn it on by the Wiimotes just cause them to blink and do nothing. I'm very concerned that the Wii may be dead. It just doesn't make sence because the power is connected to a power strip, and on the same strip is a HDTV, Audio System, Audio Equalizer, and Xbox 360, and they all work just fine. The Wii was not on during the storm, and wasn't on since the day before. Anyone know what I can do besides calling Nintendo? It's no under warrenty, and don't know how much it costs to get it fixed.

If it turns out it was damaged by the storm your home owners insurance MIGHT cover it. It just depends. Check your policy. I would imagine it was the storm though. A single surge protector isn't foolproof and as long as the wii was plugged in during the storm it can still be damaged.
SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#4 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts
It also depends on the strip. If its just a plain power strip, not all of them provide surge protection. Assuming it was one with surge protection...many will come with their own warranty to protect against damage done to products that are plugged into them. I'd check into that first. If no luck there, you are probably going to have to call nintendo. Also, things don't need to be on to still be damaged by a surge. That little light on the Wii indicates that its still drawing power in stand-by mode and therefore, electricity is still reaching the Wii.
turbotoby95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 turbotoby95
Member since 2008 • 901 Posts

all i can say is call Nintendo, they should have the answer. and sorry about your Wii :(

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

it probably did die. You should buy a power surge protector plug. When ever some kind of electric or electromagnetic interference occurs this has a chance of damaging electronics. My friends laptop died after an airplane flew very close over his housem, and my dads computer died when an electric pole blew up across the street from his work.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
do you know if the outlet is actually grounded? if not, you should fix that
boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts

Try taking your Wii to a friends house and pluging in his power supply, if it works good news :)if it don't work bad news :( time to call nintendo

its_a_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 its_a_username
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

dude!

i had a huge thundersotrm too

maybe we live in the same area

dmil1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 dmil1991
Member since 2007 • 1016 Posts

Check and see if it's just the cord (the brick might be fried).

b2trumpet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 b2trumpet
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts

Ok. I went to the support website and tried the "resetting AC adapter" option and it worked. So if anyone else gets this issue, this may fix it.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/power.jsp#no_power

Thanks for the help anyway.

Pikaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pikaroth
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Ok. I went to the support website and tried the "resetting AC adapter" option and it worked. So if anyone else gets this issue, this may fix it.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/power.jsp#no_power

Thanks for the help anyway.

b2trumpet
Thank you very much. Strangely, we had a rather large storm today (not that that is new in Orlando), but our power went out for about one minute. Television, receiver, PS3, 360, cable box/DVR, and DVD player all came back on just fine. Wii? Nope. I didn't notice it until recently when I went to turn it on, and I saw the light was not working. Nothing worked. Worry set in. Thanks to you, it's up and running. It is appreciated.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Glad to hear you fixed it :P
m0ney_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 m0ney_man
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

b2trumpet
And thats why I always unplug my Wii when I hear the first bolt of lighting........
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
did you try putting coins in it?
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

You just need a new ac/dc adapter. My wife set the breaker off when she painted over a electrical outlet. Wii stopped working. Third party ones are about $15 on internet.

Edit: Saw your update. So all you did was unplug it for 90 seconds? Good for you.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
It's probably dead. Sorry :( Nintendo should fix it though.
znator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 znator
Member since 2006 • 550 Posts
[QUOTE="SiK99"]It also depends on the strip. If its just a plain power strip, not all of them provide surge protection. Assuming it was one with surge protection...many will come with their own warranty to protect against damage done to products that are plugged into them. I'd check into that first. If no luck there, you are probably going to have to call nintendo. Also, things don't need to be on to still be damaged by a surge. That little light on the Wii indicates that its still drawing power in stand-by mode and therefore, electricity is still reaching the Wii.

I agree to this, even though your Wii is plugged into a powerstrip its not fullproof that it could get a power surge, is yours surge protected? anyways I suggest that a heavy storm is coming unplug everything that you don't want damaged. Anyways concerning your Wii call Nintendo and see if maybe they can work something out with you, if that doesn't help I suggest a new one, it may be better and cheaper then Nintendo actually charging you for a repair and they may not be able to if its really fried in the inside.