Most underrated Pokemon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by yokofox33 (29377 posts) -

No, not game. I'm talking about an actual Pokemon. One who doesn't get a lot of attention, but is actually quite awesome.

My nominee: Zubat

Sure, there's tons of them throughout the game. How can such a common (and sometimes annoying) Pokemon be so good? Well, it evolves into Golbat if you put in the effort. Golbat is a pretty solid Pokemon, but it can get even better. Make it happy enough, and then you've got one of the fastest Pokemon in the game, Crobat. I adore Crobat. It's fast, can use Fly, has a decent attack power, and it just looks cool. I never see Crobat get any love, so I'm giving him/her their due. To Zubat/Golbat/Crobat! You are fine Pokemon!

zubatgolbatcrobat

#2 Posted by hyperkass (938 posts) -

arrgghhh whats it called, sableye?

thats pretty amazing.

#3 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -
Absol. It looks so cool, and in game it has a really good ability if you combine it with moves like Slash etc.
#4 Posted by lewisg1212 (1698 posts) -
magikarp :P
#5 Posted by DarknessLion (2305 posts) -

Wurmple

#6 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

Overlooked by fools maybe, but if you do follow the Pokemon metagame, Crobat is a good standard tier player.

130 speed and 80-90 base stats in every other category make him great for a lead Pokemon.

Make him physical and give him Brave Bird, U-Turn, Taunt and Roost with Leftovers and a Jolly nature.

Or he can also work with a special set-up if you prefer it.

Another thing to look at is his ability to pull off a hypnosis faster than any other non-god Pokemon in the game.

I made him my starter in my 2nd run-through of Diamond.

#7 Posted by yokofox33 (29377 posts) -

^ I probably should have put a disclaimer before my post. I don't play Pokemon competitively, so I was just commenting more along the lines of "popular" Pokemon within the game. I never hear the likes of Zubat/Golbat/Crobat mentioned in people's teams, and I thought they were pretty under valued. I personally love Crobat, and I always use him/her as my Flyer. That's still cool though that Crobat is an effective Pokemon to use in online battles and such.

I'm actually playing Leaf Green right now, and I'm only at the 3rd gym. My Golbat was all ready to evolve at level 25, but couldn't because I don't have the National Dex or whatever they call it yet :cry:

#8 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

Well I shouldn't have jumped down the throat of this forum in the first place.

I just wanted to give my opinion.

By all means, use Crobat competitively or just for kicks, he's a good one.

#9 Posted by Ivellious07 (37 posts) -

Snubbull and Granbull. I had a level 84 Granbull on Crystal that could curb stomp anything that got in its way. Every one of my friends thought I was weird until they faced him.

#10 Posted by magitekk (3959 posts) -

skarmory..nobody ever talks about that pokemon, and I think he's awesome

#11 Posted by wizzardjeff (6696 posts) -
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Absol. It looks so cool, and in game it has a really good ability if you combine it with moves like Slash etc.

Yeah Absol is one of my favorites as well
#12 Posted by Gohansephiroth (9871 posts) -

I would say Sharpedo, Electivire, and Gliscor. I have them in my best team since you dont see them used too much and because they look cool as well, all people have now is teams of legendary pokemon, and that just seems boring to me so I try to use some overlooked ones.

#13 Posted by yokofox33 (29377 posts) -

I actually really like Sharpedo as well. I'd use it a lot more often if its defense wasn't so low. But its attack and speed is high enough where you can probably defeat something in one hit anyway.

I also saw someone picked Skarmory. I like that Pokemon as well. If I'm not using Crobat as my Flyer, then I tend to use Skarmory for that purpose.

Great choices, everyone! Keep em coming! Let your unknown Pokemon be heard.

#14 Posted by meiaman (3300 posts) -

magitekk
What are you talking about? Skarmbliss (skarmory + blyssey) is one of the cheapest and really overused combo out there. Underrated pokemons? Primeape... rarely used, can be surprisingly good.... but low on defensive side Golem, shadowed by rhyperior. Seaking... not really that good, but it deserves more love. Lumineon... well it sucks anyway.
#15 Posted by Oblivion_540 (206 posts) -
Magikarp haha :lol: probably coz all he can do is splash
#16 Posted by 17771771 (444 posts) -

Miltank.

#17 Posted by Artist09 (36 posts) -
magikarp :P lewisg1212
agreed its actually one of the best
#18 Posted by kaikailuv (31 posts) -
magikarp :P lewisg1212
LOL! My vote goes to Geodude.
#19 Posted by lewisg1212 (1698 posts) -
[QUOTE="lewisg1212"]magikarp :P kaikailuv
LOL! My vote goes to Geodude.

hey dont mess with the might of magikarp, hel splash you good.
#20 Posted by pikaby (12720 posts) -

Lol

Magikarp actually might be of some use in Contests.

#21 Posted by X-Remnant (781 posts) -

Bibarel. It has two unique and useful abilities with some interesting attacks. On top of that, it has unique typing.

#22 Posted by flamingicicle (50 posts) -
absol!it is soooooooo cool but it never got noticed until the jirachi wish maker thing
#23 Posted by JohnDaSilva94 (5 posts) -
Magmar is my favorite Pokemon and is really underrated =/
#24 Posted by zeorshadow19 (1471 posts) -

Shinx/Luxio/Luxaray

#25 Posted by King-gamer (5633 posts) -
Chinchou. It evolves into lanturn, it can absorb electricity and heal himself. that's awesome :P
#26 Posted by GamerJM (1218 posts) -
Any one of the Evee evolutions. They're all counted as one too much, but some of them are generally powerful pokemon that actually stick out somewhat.
#27 Posted by SUPA_GLUSTEE (958 posts) -

gengar

SUPERIOR

#28 Posted by bountyhunter4 (17 posts) -

sharpedo.

#29 Posted by Swampert80 (7 posts) -

Dodrio. While normal flying types are common, Dodrio is a very reliable pokemon I recommend putting on any team

#30 Edited by Minishdriveby (9762 posts) -

Chimecho. It's not good, but I love it aesthetically.

#31 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (199 posts) -

gengar

SUPERIOR

Gengar is not underrated, I'll tell you that.

@17771771 said:

Miltank.

That I agree with. For a fat cow, Miltank is stronger and faster than you'd think.

I would say Sharpedo, Electivire, and Gliscor. I have them in my best team since you dont see them used too much and because they look cool as well, all people have now is teams of legendary pokemon, and that just seems boring to me so I try to use some overlooked ones.

Plenty of people use Gliscor. Thing's a nasty physical tank. Electivire was pretty common back in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, then people stopped using it.

@magitekk said:

Skarmory is pretty common too. I have this bitchin' Skarmory with fantastic Defense (I somehow got really lucky when breeding; it had an Impish nature and perfect defense IVs).

And Zubat is crap, Crobat is great.

Now that I'm done commenting on everyone's posts, I'll tell you who I think is underrated: Lapras. Why she sits down in NU, I don't understand. I've had my ass saved by my Lapras a few times. It's got great HP and Special Defense, decent Special Attack, useful abilities, good offensive typing, and even learns Thunder and Thunderbolt (suck that, Water types!).

Ok, now you can rip my post apart.

#32 Edited by Ovirew (6323 posts) -

I've always found Butterfree to be a pretty reliable poke'mon. I have no idea how it stacks up competitively, but I know that in the games it became a strong member of my party pretty early on.

EDIT: And I just happened to remember that on HeartGold, Quagsire became a BEAST. It became my strongest Poke'Mon in that game when I played it last.

#33 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8776 posts) -

My Ursaring is an absolute beast. It's moveset, EVs, hold item and ability all work together to obliterate pretty much everything in one hit with incredible speed. I call him the legendary killer because he just takes them out no problem. He really is the prize of my years of Pokemon training. I don't think anybody's ever taken him down now that I think about it.