Moon Chronicles..........

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Back in May I believe, being the avid FPS fan that I am, I was delighted to hear that the first true FPS(not that shooting gallery crap) was coming to one of my favorite systems of this gen, the 3DS, from the indie devs who created the DS Dementium games, Renegade Kid.

And it uses CPP too as well! So now I have an awesome dual-analog shooter that plays with an exploratory metroid-ish eerie gameplay style that I love. And the visuals...Wow it looks almost as good as a Gamecube game!

But what's the catch, and why did I create a topic about this game? Let me explain:

This game, Moon Chronicles, is a remake of the DS FPS game known as Moon. The "Chronicles" part of the name for Moon Chronicles for 3DS is because it is episodic. The first episode is $8.99 with the following 3 episodes for Season One being $2.99.

This is where the problem arises. Did you expect Episode One to be the remade DS game, and the following 3 episodes of Season One to be all new content? With the assumption that the first episode is $8.99 because it is an entire game, and the other 3 episodes are new yet smaller content for $2.99? If you did you would be wrong.

Season One comprises of the DS game Moon remade on the 3DS but split into 4 individual chapters, which you can purchase as Episodes, hence the episodic nature. Each individual Episode has 4 chapters within itself.

Now I wouldn't have a problem with any of this, if the episodes came out A LOT sooner. You see I beat all 4 chapters of Episode One, found all the "Alien artifacts" which are hidden collectibles that unlock a special VR Training stage. And then I beat the VR stage...On veteran people!! This $8.99 purchase was beaten in under 2 hours on the highest difficulty, unlocking and completing any and all content provided. And trust me there is no news on a release date for the next episode.

So this is my conclusion: I bought 1/4 of a DS remake for $8.99 and have to wait 3+ months for the next 1/4 of a DS remake. Had I known the content for Episode One would be so thin I would've kept my money and waited for more episodes to be released. And with no Multiplayer mode the replayability is so low I can't even explain it in words. Now I understand they're just indie-devs trying to make a living but honestly I waited for MONTHS in suspense for that game and only get 1/4 of a game. My biggest point being that it is A REMAKE OF A FREAKING DS GAME! If it was a sequel, I could understand the reason to put it out episodically because it allows the devs to release it sooner. But this is a DS remake...release the whole game for gods sake.

So assuming since it came out on May 15 and it is past August 15 that means we can expect atleast 3+ months between each episode....Oh yeah and there's Season 2 which is the all new content...but don't expect that to come out for another year atleast.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mariokart97

I tried to break it up so it isn't just a wall of text but c'mon does no one feel meh?

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Good thing I read through it all since I wasn't seeing your point but yeah it seems like little content spread too thin. It's the reason why I'm just going to wait till it all comes out or at least right before the final episode comes out.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mariokart97

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Good thing I read through it all since I wasn't seeing your point but yeah it seems like little content spread too thin. It's the reason why I'm just going to wait till it all comes out or at least right before the final episode comes out.

Haha thanks for giving it a read because I knew I wasn't out of line for feeling the way I do. Like trust me it's a great game so far but like you I'm gonna wait until the remaining episodes come out for the full package. To me I want either the full experience or none at all, it truly is the biggest tease right now lol.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I'm gonna wait until all the episodes are available before picking this up, good to know that the first episode is only $8.99 and the follow up episodes are $2.99; I thought it was $8.99 a piece and that's part of my aversion for getting it in the first place. Anyhow, I hope it does good, because I'd like to see them put the Dementium games on the 3DS.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mariokart97

@lamprey263 said:

I'm gonna wait until all the episodes are available before picking this up, good to know that the first episode is only $8.99 and the follow up episodes are $2.99; I thought it was $8.99 a piece and that's part of my aversion for getting it in the first place. Anyhow, I hope it does good, because I'd like to see them put the Dementium games on the 3DS.

Ahh I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure due to legal reasons Renegade Kid doesn't own the rights to the Dementium series. If I'm not mistaken

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@mariokart97 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Ahh I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure due to legal reasons Renegade Kid doesn't own the rights to the Dementium series. If I'm not mistaken

it says it was publish originally by GameCock, they were known allowing developers to keep and control their intellectual property

if you know something specific as to why they wouldn't control the IP then spit it out

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mariokart97

This is just some news I found

Also Jools Watsham the director for Renegade Kid asked what fans wanted him to make for a kickstarter but made it clear to say "not dementium"

This article talks about it