Miyamoto: eShop Won't Have Restrictions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 1-Up_Gamer (483 posts) -

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nintendo-want-to-make-specific-meaningful-games-for-the-eshop-and-other-things-miyamoto-talked-about

Here's something for developers that were disappointed with Wiiware's restrictions. In an interview with The Telegraph, Miyamoto said that Nintendo wants to make eShop games that are, "specific and meaningful." Most of all, he said that the eShop will have no restrictions whatsoever.

Besides the eShop, Miyamoto also said that Super Mario 3DS will not use the Streetpass functionatlity. The reason why is simply because, "no spectacular ideas came to mind."

#2 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

sounds good but the eshop needs something different something really special for it to succeed. And I just don't see it happening

#3 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
What are you not seeing of a service which hasn't been detailed at all? All we know is some legacy platforms will be available and some new sw 3DS specific, as well as to access to DSiware Aside from what has been told, which may change when we actually get the update, and that can even change when the service is running, what exactly are you expecting from the service?
#4 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
no restrictions = bigger chance of full games online :D
#5 Posted by darkspineslayer (20210 posts) -
If were are to take "No restrictions whatsoever" litteraly, this does not bode well. Flood of $1 flash games someone built in a day am confirmed? Thats just playing devil's advocate...I think this could make for some expansive experiences on the download, and maybe one day resemble the Playstation store
#6 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

I think what he meant by restrictions was the size of games.

#7 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]If were are to take "No restrictions whatsoever" litteraly, this does not bode well. Flood of $1 flash games someone built in a day am confirmed? Thats just playing devil's advocate...I think this could make for some expansive experiences on the download, and maybe one day resemble the Playstation store

I don't want this to turn an apple store...
#8 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

Gamingclone
i think this person is correct.
#9 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

BrunoBRS

i think this person is correct.

And he might also mean stuff along the lines of games that are "mature" I dont know, just one of my guesses.

I mean, I doubt Nintendo would pull an apple store on us after all this time of them sticking to their guns and saying that the price of the game equals its quality. Granted, we are still going to get some crummy games, but Im sure many of them (besides the vc games) are going to be great.

#10 Posted by KBFloYd (14522 posts) -

sounds good but the eshop needs something different something really special for it to succeed. And I just don't see it happening

LaytonsCat

you kidding? 3d games by indie developers is even better than wiiware or dsiware..

#11 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]If were are to take "No restrictions whatsoever" litteraly, this does not bode well. Flood of $1 flash games someone built in a day am confirmed? Thats just playing devil's advocate...I think this could make for some expansive experiences on the download, and maybe one day resemble the Playstation storeRod90

I'm sure Nintendo does

#12 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

KBFloYd

you kidding? 3d games by indie developers is even better than wiiware or dsiware..

cause those were such big successes :P

#13 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]If were are to take "No restrictions whatsoever" litteraly, this does not bode well. Flood of $1 flash games someone built in a day am confirmed? Thats just playing devil's advocate...I think this could make for some expansive experiences on the download, and maybe one day resemble the Playstation storeLaytonsCat

I'm sure Nintendo does

i'm sure nintendo doesn't.
#14 Posted by DustinTheWind (4392 posts) -

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

[QUOTE="Rod90"] I don't want this to turn an apple store...BrunoBRS

I'm sure Nintendo does

Do a quick search about Nintendo and Apple and you'll see that the top brass at Nintendo hates the way the Apple store works, the tons of small ($1ish) fee games. So I wouldn't expect that to happen.

As for your other comment, Layton, what would make it 'special' beyond some awesome games, a good browser, and a good interface? That's all it needs to be IMO.

#15 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

I'm sure Nintendo does

DustinTheWind

Do a quick search about Nintendo and Apple and you'll see that the top brass at Nintendo hates the way the Apple store works, the tons of small ($1ish) fee games. So I wouldn't expect that to happen.

As for your other comment, Layton, what would make it 'special' beyond some awesome games, a good browser, and a good interface? That's all it needs to be IMO.

It needs something that makes those 5 or 10 dollar games seems worth it to the person who also has an Iphone/touch. 3D likely isn't enough for many of those people

#16 Posted by lanmind01 (25 posts) -
Like me Miyamoto doesn't do anything unless it's spectacular. That's why I mainly only play Halo. He's half as smart as me
#17 Posted by DustinTheWind (4392 posts) -

Like me Miyamoto doesn't do anything unless it's spectacular. That's why I mainly only play Halo. He's half as smart as melanmind01

Halo's fun but it sounds like you're limiting your experiences. I suspect you're one of those people on halo that can rack up 25 kills in an online match, but really, who cares? If you're a one trick pony, the answer is pretty much no one.

#18 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Like me Miyamoto doesn't do anything unless it's spectacular. That's why I mainly only play Halo. He's half as smart as melanmind01
Ha?
#19 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

That line contradicts itself

#20 Posted by DustinTheWind (4392 posts) -

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i'm sure nintendo doesn't.LaytonsCat

It needs something that makes those 5 or 10 dollar games seems worth it to the person who also has an Iphone/touch. 3D likely isn't enough for many of those people

Nintendo's a game company. They make games. That's all they do. The games in their VC will be classics and some originals and some altered (for 3D or gyro or whatever), I really don't understand what you're expecting here. Some cool AR games maybe? It's worth it to those who have iphone/touch because you can't play 90+% of those games on iOS, because they're exclusive. If you're fine missing out on Nintendo games and old classics, the VC won't have much for you. The 3DS already has games that iOS can't really touch (SSFIV 3D for starters, with many more HQ exclusives on the way).
The VC/browser/entire May update is something extra, it's not going to be the deciding factor for too many people. It might help push people over the line who were already on the edge of buying one, but it's not going to change a lot of minds... the future software line up (physical media) will be the biggest factor, not the VC.

Nintendo will lose some of its handheld share to iOS and Android no matter what, but Nintendo has nothing to worry about. They're still going to sell tons of these things, they'll still have a huge installed base to encourage more 3rd party games, and that's all that really matters in the long run.

#21 Posted by mariokart64fan (19624 posts) -

the 360 board is the other way mr HALo player , that is offtopic and

ftr nintendo knows what they are doing

#22 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -

no restrictions = bigger chance of full games online :DBrunoBRS

Is this not a given??

#23 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]If were are to take "No restrictions whatsoever" litteraly, this does not bode well. Flood of $1 flash games someone built in a day am confirmed? Thats just playing devil's advocate...I think this could make for some expansive experiences on the download, and maybe one day resemble the Playstation storeRod90

How should it be exactly??

#24 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -

Nintendo's a game company. They make games. That's all they do.

DustinTheWind

Very interesting statement.

#25 Posted by Heirren (18419 posts) -

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]

Nintendo's a game company. They make games. That's all they do.

Coolyfett

Very interesting statement.

fdf

dfdf

#26 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
^ that's pretty old, plus i don't think merchandise counts as "doing something else".