Miyamoto discusses cross-buy between 3DS and Wii U.

#1 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

"In an interview with Kotaku, Miyamoto stated that the home console and handheld console teams being different presented a challenge to being able to unify purchases."

Miyamoto: "What I can say is, certainly, within Nintendo the fact that our development environment for our home console is different from the development environment for our portable system is certainly an area of stress or challenge for the development teams. So as we move forward, we’re going to look at what we can do to unify the two development environments."

"When further pressed about unified purchases for virtual console games, the only answer Miyamoto gave was, “I’ll think about it.” Hmm. Sounds like something Nintendo isn’t considering too hard just yet, but there may be hope. You never know."

Well, at least he's thinking about it...I guess. I know Nintendo is not one that usually follows a crowd, but I don't see how this could be a bad thing...At least for the consumer.

If a company can easily afford it, and it could be best for the consumers, shouldn't that be best for business?

Link to article.

#2 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

Oh, and the whole "So as we move forward, we’re going to look at what we can do to unify the two development environments." thing sounds like what their trying to do with their next big console. "Unifying" both home consoles and handhelds.

#3 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16338 posts) -

Especially with the digital future gaming is moving towards there is nothing standing in the way of cross-buy. They can simply include a download code or give you one when you play the game or activate it.

The only reason they wouldn't do that is because they want your money for each version.

Would personally love to have SSB on 3DS and Wii U but I'm not going to buy 2 versions.

#4 Posted by AGeekyLink (55 posts) -

This could also be some sort of "trick" to force gamers to buy the two systems if they want to play the game at 100%.

I don't like the sound of that.

#5 Posted by Grieverr (2659 posts) -

Nintendo has already said that they envision an Apple-like environment where you can get your content on any number of devices. I am sure that will happen with their next console. I do not think, however, that they will make it happen with the Wii U and the 3DS. The infrastructure is just not there.

#6 Posted by Jaysonguy (37602 posts) -

More spam I see

#7 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@Grieverr: Yeah, I can see them doing something like that on their next 2 consoles. They've already said that they are working on thier next console, perhaps all this talk about "unifying" is what their next console is going to be all about? I don't know how I feel about that idea...

#8 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Spam? What?

If this is considered "Spam" then what kind of thread is this? That thread was unnecessary.

#9 Edited by juboner (423 posts) -

I thought they already unified the teams, they already built the building for them.

#10 Posted by hydralisk86 (8527 posts) -

I spoke with my brother, i think he said that there is a processor for a phone as powerful as the PS3's processor. I believe you can connect a controller to some of the smart phones and play graphically powerful games. If nintendo somehow merged their console with the handheld, i wouldn't be surprised.

#11 Posted by thedude- (2074 posts) -

"...we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems. Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android...The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future." -Iwata-san

This would change Nintendo forever. Wii U and 3DS both have slow ill optimized OS. Adapting to a structure that was headlined by the mobile creators is Nintendo's redemption.

#12 Posted by Grieverr (2659 posts) -

@thedude- said:

Adapting to a structure that was headlined by the mobile creators is Nintendo's redemption.

I'm not really sure that statement had anything to do with mobile structure. I took it to mean that they want one OS that plays all Nintendo games, no matter what. So, like Apple, you can watch your movies (and listen to music and play games) on your Mac, ipad, iphone, or ipod. And that seems to be what Nintendo is shooting for.

Imagine having a range of Nintendo hardware to choose from, like a full size console, or a portable, or a tablet, and be able to play all Nintendo's games, no matter which device you're using. I'd be very excited. Although I have a 3DS, I'm not a fan of portable gaming. I would love to play 3DS games on my TV.

Now, that does bring a question...is going digital-only the only way to deliver something like this? Would you be able to have a main console with a physical disc, yet still have a way to play the game on a tablet (for those who still want physical copies)?

#13 Posted by Jaysonguy (37602 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Spam? What?

This is the second thread you've done that featured Kotaku and ONLY Kotaku but you linked in another fan site as well.

If you're doing a story on Kotaku there is no reason why you should link anything but the Kotaku article.

#14 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: If you're doing a story on Kotaku there is no reason why you should link anything but the Kotaku article.

I wasn't doing a story on Kotaku. The article itself mentioned Kotaku. I just copy and pasted some of the important writing from the article for everyone to read. When I pasted the writing, the link to Kotaku must of been included in there. I did not intentionally include it.

#15 Edited by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@thedude-: Iwata said that? Huh. As I said in another thread, I think he could learn a lot from everything that's happening.

If do something like that, and something like what @Grieverr said, I think they'll be taking a big step forward...(I hope). All they'll need then is a console that is powerful enough for 3rd party devs to be satisfied with. And they should try to get some IPs from Capcom too. (Or Capcom itself) That way they could have an even wider variety of games to choose from.

Will they end up doing that? I don't know. Only time will tell. However, I believe they are finally starting to get their act together.

#16 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7262 posts) -

The problem stems from the difference in Nintendo's home console and handheld development processes. The 3DS and Wii U are completely different platforms that you cannot easily port code between. With Nintendo's next systems, if what they've said has any truth to it, will not have this problem due to having a common OS. Similar to how Android is on multiple devices, but supports the same software.

So, with the new systems, games would only have to be ported once. Nintendo could port Golden Sun to their next home console, and it will be able to run on their handheld, too. This is a huge departure from the current way Nintendo does things where games need a substantial amount of work to get it running on a different platform. When this happens, I think cross-buy will be available. Currently, though, there is too much work going into porting a version of something to offer it for free if you've already purchased it on another Nintendo device.

I wonder if Nintendo will have a new system transfer process for their next system that will give us discounts on upgrading our old versions of a game? Something a bit less rocky than the Wii to Wii U transfer process would be nice.

#17 Edited by MirkoS77 (7210 posts) -

Since when has different developmental architecture or code have anything to do with giving customers the right to play both versions? To say, "we can't allow people to play the same game they bought on one platform on another because they don't share identical code or are different developmental platforms" is ridiculous. So what? This is an issue of accounts, not hardware or coding. I buy Super Mario Bros. on the Wii U. I want to also play it on the U or 3DS. Why does the code or hardware architecture need to be identical to each other for the purchaser to get the go-ahead from Nintendo to be allowed to download the same game? Both games already ARE available for each system. The only thing Nintendo needs to do is allow them access to download each relevant version that particular license allows them to. This is a matter of accounts and rights, not hardware or compatibility, and is not difficult to do.

The worst that would happen is that each system would have a different version of the same game running on it.....but it would be the same game, and from a consumer standpoint they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It may be all humbug on Nintendo's end, but the consumer shouldn't be punished for their incompetence in how they handle their development of the same software across numerous platforms.

They'll "think about it". Uh-huh. Sure Ninty, you make sure to think long and hard on this as I know you will, as people will continually be buying the same games they've already bought over and over and over again just to be able to play on different systems. This sounds like Nintendo simply trying to over-complicate things so ignorant Joe Blow consumer will get all twisted in technicalities and then grant them another 10 years afforded to continue their anti-consumer bullshit tactics as they supposedly work on it. I've never seen a company so slow to act. They don't really care, they're getting continual redundant profits by doing what they are now. Cross-play has nothing to do with development, it is a consumer rights issue. Again, this is on the side of being given permission.

Honestly, how long are people going to eat up this garbage and give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt?

I don't buy anything this company spews. It's all horseshit. Instead of getting their affairs in order and coming out with solutions and executing them in a reasonable timeframe, they instead come out with explanations as to why something always CAN'T be done and then lag for years and years until their next Pinocchio act which people will eat up to give them another ten years of leeway. And always so peculiarly, these excuses are never beneficial to the us but always are to Nintendo. How convenient.

Doesn't that ever strike anybody as strange?

#18 Posted by MirkoS77 (7210 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Especially with the digital future gaming is moving towards there is nothing standing in the way of cross-buy. They can simply include a download code or give you one when you play the game or activate it.

The only reason they wouldn't do that is because they want your money for each version.

Would personally love to have SSB on 3DS and Wii U but I'm not going to buy 2 versions.

Exactly. What they are doing is such bullshit. And what's even worse is how insulting it is when they come out and throw out these rationales and people eat them up. It drives me up the wall. Nobody seems to want to hold Nintendo accountable and it needs to stop. Nintendo defenders (in situations like this) are their own worst enemy.

#19 Posted by SpiderLuke (480 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I agree with this. Just include a DL code for the other version. Or at least give us a code after we register the game maybe? Hell, I'd even call customer service to have them verify it if it's a security thing lol.

I want Shovel Knight on both my systems! lol

#20 Edited by juboner (423 posts) -

Well who said they are expecting people to buy both versions? They are not doing anything wrong with releasing a game on 2 different consoles. Pick the one you want if you own both systems, its a no brainer to get the wii u version if you have both systems imo.

#21 Edited by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Perhaps you are correct...It may be that the systems...Or rather the online infrastructure, is not yet optimized for cross buy. Cross buy would/should be simple to do. Just link the E-Shop accounts of the Wii U and 3DS. If you've downloaded the Wii U version of an VC game, you should then be able to "re-download" it on your 3DS (Or vice versa) for free. Simple as that.

Why won't they do this/ why haven't they done it yet? As much as I hate to say it, unlesss Nintendo doesn't know anything about that kind of stuff, they just want our money. Just like all companies, Nintendo primarily wants our money. Why wouldn't they? Why do you think they make games in the first place? At least Nintendo's products are worth the money most of the time.

BTW, I'm talking about Virtual Console games. Not Retail/Indie games. If most of you guys are talking about Smash Bros, etc, well think about it. If you bought the PS3 or 360 version of Mortal Kombat X, should you be able to re-download it on the 8th gen systems for free? No. Your the one who decided to buy it on a different system. That's just how it is. Maybe It'll change one day. But for now, if gaming companies did that, they'd lose a LOT of money.

#22 Edited by MirkoS77 (7210 posts) -

@pikachudude860 said:

@MirkoS77: Perhaps you are correct...It may be that the systems...Or rather the online infrastructure, is not yet optimized for cross buy. Cross buy would/should be simple to do. Just link the E-Shop accounts of the Wii U and 3DS. If you've downloaded the Wii U version of an VC game, you should then be able to "re-download" it on your 3DS (Or vice versa) for free. Simple as that.

Why won't they do this/ why haven't they done it yet? As much as I hate to say it, unlesss Nintendo doesn't know anything about that kind of stuff, they just want our money. Just like all companies, Nintendo primarily wants our money. Why wouldn't they? Why do you think they make games in the first place? At least Nintendo's products are worth the money most of the time.

BTW, I'm talking about Virtual Console games. Not Retail/Indie games. If most of you guys are talking about Smash Bros, etc, well think about it. If you bought the PS3 or 360 version of Mortal Kombat X, should you be able to re-download it on the 8th gen systems for free? No. Your the one who decided to buy it on a different system. That's just how it is. Maybe It'll change one day. But for now, if gaming companies did that, they'd lose a LOT of money.

But they'd garner customer goodwill. That translates directly to money.

I can understand exactly why Nintendo ties accounts to hardware and does not allow cross-buy. Precisely for the reasons you state: they stand to gain more money because people have to rebuy the same game on each respective system. In treating digital games as physical as they are doing this ensures more revenue. But it is so terrible from a consumer rights perspective.

They are basically saying "fuck you" to customers in order to profit. Nothing that many other companies don't do in other areas mind you, yet for some reason Nintendo is excused, seen, and defended as fighting for our rights against companies like Sony and MS who have been giving us these rights for years now, and that irks me. They need to not only not be given credit, but also held accountable. In addition, Nintendo is not looking long-term (as so many claim they always do), but only at the short-term. If they finally moved accounts to the cloud and allowed cross-buy, would it affect their bottom line? Initially, sure. But it would also positively affect customer faith, which would help cement long-term buyers and make them much more willing to do business with Ninty in the future.

As it stands now, I'll never support any of Nintendo's digital offerings, and the longer they insist upon this greedy, selfish, and outdated philosophy in a day and age where digital is growing so prominent, the more my resentment towards them increases, and the less willing I am to give them my business. And this applies to all areas of their business, not just digital.

#23 Posted by thedude- (2074 posts) -

@thedude-: Iwata said that? Huh. As I said in another thread, I think he could learn a lot from everything that's happening.

If do something like that, and something like what @Grieverr said, I think they'll be taking a big step forward...(I hope). All they'll need then is a console that is powerful enough for 3rd party devs to be satisfied with. And they should try to get some IPs from Capcom too. (Or Capcom itself) That way they could have an even wider variety of games to choose from.

Will they end up doing that? I don't know. Only time will tell. However, I believe they are finally starting to get their act together.

It is in the lower part of Kotaku's article on the subject.

#24 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -

I like this idea. It's something that I was hoping Nintendo would get on.