Metroid:ZeroMission / FireEmblem releasing on NA WiiU eShop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I've known that Metroid: Zero mission released in Japan back in June for the Wii U eShop in the GBA VC section, and word was it was supposed to be on the way to Western markets since then. For those that don't know, Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake of the original NES Metroid game made for the Game Boy Advance, including upgrades to gameplay seen in later Metroid games (think of it a lot more like Metroid: Fusion). It also includes extra content at the end of the game that includes Samus in her Zero Suit without all her powers and upgrades, and is more stealthy. We didn't hear anything back at PAX, which leads me to believe the release will be a surprise.

However, recently the Smash Brothers eShop promotions give me some suspicion Nintendo will surprise us during the third week with the release of Metroid Zero Mission. For those that don't understand, the Super Smash Sale discounts games from characters that are to be included in the upcoming Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS games, each week for four weeks they'll discount games based on a selection of characters. Picture from the third week shows both Samus and Zero Suit Samus which makes me suspect that in the third week we could be surprised with the release of Metroid: Zero Mission as part of the Super Smash Sales, or at least alongside the sale, as it's the only game they could potentially sell that includes a Zero Suit Samus.

Furthermore, in Europe (where I'm unsure what promotions they have), they just released Fire Emblem: Sword of Flame in the GBA / Wii U VC section of the eShop. I also suspect they might release that here in the US as well, as Fire Emblem characters are also listed during the second week of the sale. If we see the release of Fire Emblem in the second week, I'd see that as a strong clue Metroid: Zero Mission will see it's release in the third week of the promotion.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/20/fire-emblem-gba-coming-wii-u-virtual-console-europe-tomorrow/

I realize this is a stretch, but I'd really like to play Metroid: Zero Mission as I've played the original Metroid a ton, and would like to see and play it in an upgraded form. Anyhow, anybody think this could happen? Or wish it would happen? Or you more interested in Fire Emblem? Thoughts?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

You've put a lot of thought into this wishful thinking thread.

I wonder how many people are going to buy the original Kid Icarus if it's released seeing as how they've "ALWAYS" supposedly been fans of the series and not just a sparked interest when Pit got a redesign in Brawl.

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I realize this is a stretch, but I'd really like to play Metroid: Zero Mission as I've played the original Metroid a ton, and would like to see and play it in an upgraded form.

Oh man, you're in for an amazing experience then. Zero Mission is the best Metroid game by a pretty wide margin. The "extra content at the end of the game" is basically an entirely new adventure on that world, with the best hidden upgrades and a ridiculously fun shinesparking playground. That game has everything a Metroid game should have, and perfects every single aspect of it.

As for your theory, I hope you're right. I've been wanting to play Zero Mission again for years, but since I sold my DS Lite, I don't really have a way to play (definitely not going back to the original GBA). And I want everyone who loves Metroid but hasn't played Zero Mission to experience that game because it's an absolute masterpiece.

Edit: I should walk back the part about the extra content being an entirely new adventure. It's definitely a lot of content when you're going for 100%, but it's not like a new world map with new areas and a new story shows up or anything. It's just a lot of brilliantly designed secrets, which is what everyone enjoys about Metroid anyway, right?