Metroid question?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by okiereyes (6 posts) -

So, I just bought a wii u the other day, my first real try at nintendo's games. I've always been curious about metroid since I love science fiction stuff. I've only tried the first level and I already love the The first metroid prime in the trilogy for the wii.

So now i'm curious, I know there are other metroid games for multiple systems that came before the one I'm playing. Are the metroid games connected lore wise and is the lore good?

If they aren't connected, does that mean I could play the trilogy I've got then other M then older handheld ones?

Also, since I just found out that Metroid Zero Mission is a remake of the original metroid, which one is the better of the two?

#2 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16450 posts) -

Got a Wiiu? Download Super Metroid. shits amazing, easily my favorite Metroid game.

And as far as connection goes, none of them are very connected. Basically, whenever there is info from another game you need in order to understand a plot, the game will fill you in on what you need to know. The Prime games are definitely lore heavy, but the rest of them aren't. Actually, most of them have very little story to speak of outside of "stop big alien threat" although Metroid Fusion's story goes beyond that in interesting ways.

Long story short, play Super Metroid next. Don't need to know anything about the other games to enjoy it.

And I enjoyed Zero Mission. Never beat the very original so I can't comment on how the two of them compare.

#3 Posted by JordanElek (17699 posts) -

Zero Mission is far better than the original in every possible way. It's also the absolute best Metroid game and one of the best games of all time.

Metroid Prime cares the most about lore out of all the games. There's very little story in the 2D games. In fact, if you're just interested in the sci-fi elements, Metroid Prime has all of that. Scan everything and you'll get one of the most fleshed out video game worlds ever.

#4 Posted by Chozofication (2692 posts) -

Other M is trash.

metroid fusion and zero mission (metroid on NES is archaic) will come to wii u virtual console at some point, play those and super if you want, super would be a good start. Just enjoy the trilogy for now though..

The connections between the games aren't very evident in the games themselves, except for the prime trilogy.

#5 Posted by da_chub (3062 posts) -

Other M is not trash. it isn't a great Metroid game, but its a great game in the Metroid universe. They took the story, which has always been last on the list, and put it 1st. expect, they didn't do a good job at that. The gameplay is great, looks fine, love going between 3rd and 1st person controls. It did a decent job at being a 2.5D super Metroid, but the best thing IMO about Metroid is the feeling of loniless and being lost on an alien planet. Well, that was missing. And did you get 100/0%? because findling all the missle tanks and then beating entire game without energy tanks is lots of fun. Def not my fav metoid, but ive played it 5 times now.

#6 Posted by munchmunch33 (10 posts) -

There's no Metroid game I haven't enjoyed so far. Including Other M. Super Metroid is definitly the best though.As far as story, the games do connect, but not with as much depth as say, Zelda games

#7 Posted by Ovirew (6246 posts) -

There's no Metroid game I haven't enjoyed so far. Including Other M. Super Metroid is definitly the best though.As far as story, the games do connect, but not with as much depth as say, Zelda games

Zelda games connect? Blah, idk. I think the fans want them to connect, but I just kind of figure most of them are set in their own alternate realities.

#8 Posted by darkmark91 (2843 posts) -

Zero Mission is MILES better than than the original. Btw you can even unlock the original game in Zero mission, so its kinda like two games in one.

#9 Posted by GordanChoong (210 posts) -

Other M is trash.

metroid fusion and zero mission (metroid on NES is archaic) will come to wii u virtual console at some point, play those and super if you want, super would be a good start. Just enjoy the trilogy for now though..

The connections between the games aren't very evident in the games themselves, except for the prime trilogy.

Wow, can't believe this game is highly underrated simply because of its flawed story. You do realize that the game's plot only makes up for about 10% of a video game right? Even though I'm not liking this, but even I have to admit that it's better for a game to have better aesthetics than story, as it leaves a good impression on the gamer and even affects the way non gamers view video games. Alot of great games out there have bad stories or either no story at all. I know that these type of games aren't focused on plot as much as games like Metroid or Zelda, but you gotta think about it and realize that almost all of the Metroid games to date have little story to enjoy, even the more recent ones like Zero Mission, Fusion, or Hunters. If you want a good story, go read a book or watch a movie instead of playing video games. Metroid: Other M for the most part is a great game except for the music (there's barely any music except for Ridley's theme) and atmosphere, and other things that are related to the asethetics.

@okiereyes: I just wanted to tell you thatyes the metroid games are connected through a plot, but it is only obvious through deep analyzation. Most Metroid fans believe that the franchise goes in this order when considering the games' stories. Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Super Metroid, Metroid: Other M, and finally Metroid: Fusion. You actually don't have to play any of the games in particular order to find out why things are as things is in the Prime games. Heck, you don't even have to play the first to know the second, or the second for the third, or the first two to understand the third (unless you want to know about the origins, history, and motives of Dark Samus a.k.a Metroid Prime which is the true antagonist that carries on to each new Prime game). Most of the games don't have good stories as most of these games are 2D and retro style games made in the 80's and 90's. Only the Prime games, Other M, and Fusion have good stories; the others have stories fully explained in the manuals. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just leave it to that. As for Zero Mission, yes it is much better than the orginal cause we all know thatremakes are better than the original. Better graphics, remixed soundtrack, modern controls, fixed bugs and glitches, and added content not seen in the original are all here. Did I mention that this game also has short second cutscenes and that you get to play as Samus without her Power-Suit after killing Ridley?

#10 Edited by Pierst179 (10690 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

Zelda games connect? Blah, idk. I think the fans want them to connect, but I just kind of figure most of them are set in their own alternate realities.

They do. Nintendo has even revealed their timeline on Hyrule Historia. =D