Metroid Prime Trilogy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I got the MP trilogy and played prime and more than half way through echoes. I can say these games are not that great pretty bland the secrets are nothing special, the combat is annoying most of the time and not so fun. One exception is the boss fights they are really good and fun. The games feels slow when you have to open doors and go through portals. I would much rather played Halo at the time these 2 games where out. I will say halfway in to echoes it does get better. The back tracking gets old when you cant find where to go, sometimes you have to go way back somewhere where you would have never even thought of it.

Im hoping the last game will be much better and I think it will be.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

It's not a shooter. Think of it as an an action-adventure game in first person and I think you'll enjoy it more. If you've played Super Metroid, the first Metroid Prime is basically a direct copy of it in 3D, in terms of structure. It's slow-paced, and the real fun comes in discovering all of the secrets. Did you get 100% completion?

Echoes is different, much more stressful and difficult, but still awesome in its own right.

Corruption is even more different, leaning more towards the shooter side of things and not so Super-Metroid-esque.

Just be glad you can play them with pointer controls. The Gamecube controls were fine at the time, but they're incredibly hard to go back to. The pointer controls feel pretty awesome.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By juboner

I know its not a full on shooter its just the enemies get really old having to back track so often and the environments dont really do it for me. Finding the secrets is not all that special its just usually a missile upgrade. I enjoyed prime for the first half then not so much, with echoes its the opposite the second half of the game gets going pretty good. And yeah I go for 100% but if I come up a little short thats ok.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I"m currently on Echoes and I think I am actually enjoying that more than Prime, Prime was great but so far something about Echoes just really is just clicking with me more.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Apart from the general setting of "futuristic sci-fi", it's not really comparable to Halo.

But I appreciate your opinion anyway. I guess I can see how it's not everyone's kind of game. Personally, I think the first Metroid Prime game ranks in the top 5 games of that generation.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

There are a few reasons why MPT is in such high demand and bringing in high prices and it goes far beyond the limited run of the compilation. The story, exploration, environment, etc.., came together perfectly. Retro created a fabulous trilogy and deserve all of the calls to get back into the Metroid franchise.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By juboner

@mdk12345: Yeah many people really like them. I did not find the first one that special but the second one I am starting to enjoy more the further I get in. You can get the whole metroid prime trilogy on one disc for the Wii.

Trugs I compared it bc this is what Nintendo had to offer while xbox players where enjoying the revolutionary Halo.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@juboner: It's pretty much a first person version of Super Metroid/2D Metroid. If you didn't like those, you wouldn't like Mprime. It's more about exploring and less about killing.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

So you're playing an older game that was cooler back when it came out than it is now, and calling it bland?

Anyhow, I didn't play these when they released, but I got a Wii and before Corruption released I played the GameCube games on my Wii, and I still thought they were a good deal of fun. Hell, I just started replaying Prime the other day myself. The games are still fun, especially if you've played the older games and see how the design choices from previous games make their transition into these games.

I do think playing these games back to back though takes something away from their charm.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Not that great...? For real? The first game is one of the best games of all time, and the prequels both did and still do a good job of upholding the first ones legacy. They're not shooters. They're nothing like Halo and shouldn't even be compared imo.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By juboner

@Sgt_Crow: "One of the best games of all time" I dont know about that. I love exploration in games but it gets pretty bland going through the same areas over and over when you cant find what to do next. And the environments do look bland.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@juboner said:

I got the MP trilogy and played prime and more than half way through echoes. I can say these games are not that great pretty bland the secrets are nothing special, the combat is annoying most of the time and not so fun. One exception is the boss fights they are really good and fun. The games feels slow when you have to open doors and go through portals. I would much rather played Halo at the time these 2 games where out. I will say halfway in to echoes it does get better. The back tracking gets old when you cant find where to go, sometimes you have to go way back somewhere where you would have never even thought of it.

You're playing it wrong. There is no backtracking in Metroid, just pathfinding. Turn the navigator off and just explore and drink in the lore. The game is at its best when you can't tell if you are simply progressing or going along an optional route. If you play it this way (as Metroid is traditionally played) you rarely run into the problem of where to go because the path forward ends up being one of the multiple paths that open up with each successive upgrade. Kinda wish I knew this before I played Prime 1 as I enjoyed Prime 2 much more by coming into it with a different mindset.

The Prime games are about the journey, not the destination; it's the process of exploring that's the meat of it, not the pay-off in what you find. It sounds to me like you are looking for fireworks and excitement when that really isn't what these games are about.

People often make comparisons between Metroid Prime and Halo but Prime actually shares more of its design DNA/structure with the Zelda games (right down to the targeting combat).

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

@juboner said:

You're playing it wrong. There is no backtracking in Metroid, just pathfinding. Turn the navigator off and just explore and drink in the lore. The game is at its best when you can't tell if you are simply progressing or going along an optional route. If you play it this way (as Metroid is traditionally played) you rarely run into the problem of where to go because the path forward ends up being one of the multiple paths that open up with each successive upgrade. Kinda wish I knew this before I played Prime 1 as I enjoyed Prime 2 much more by coming into it with a different mindset.

The Prime games are about the journey, not the destination; it's the process of exploring that's the meat of it, not the pay-off in what you find. It sounds to me like you are looking for fireworks and excitement when that really isn't what these games are about.

This.

The help function ruins it. It changes the mindset of the player. It shows on their map where they have to go and then the game becomes objective rather than about exploration. Instead of thinking, "Wow, this world is so immersive with so much lore to discover" they think, "How do I get from here to there?". My point is pretty much the same as the above, I guess, just worded differently. So, to anyone who picks this game up, turn off the help function and stop thinking about the game in terms of finishing it. Just take the time to explore this wonderful world that Retro has made.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By juboner

@simuseb2: I know how to play it man I'm a metroid vet from the nes. You have to back track all over the place over and over again until you figure it out. Once you figure it out its fun but when you get stuck for a long time it gets old.

simuse: What help function? I didnt see any help function, anyways I'm not using the help function if the game has one and I a,m the type that turns off destination markers if possible.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@juboner said:

@simuseb2: I know how to play it man I'm a metroid vet from the nes. You have to back track all over the place over and over again until you figure it out. Once you figure it out its fun but when you get stuck for a long time it gets old.

What kind of things did you get stuck on? If I remember right, most of the stuff in that first game is right on the map. Once you get missiles, for example, you go to all the red doors. And if it's not a door-related upgrade, you go to all the areas you haven't been to yet. There aren't even any secret passages in that game (which has always been my biggest complaint about it). Everything is on the map once you've been in the room.

Even the artifacts at the end are basically spelled out for you by giving you the name of the room.

Maybe I'm forgetting puzzles or something that you could get stuck on?

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By juboner

@JordanElek: Talking about echoes, there are parts where its not that obvious as just the door color. There may have been some of that on the first one but dont recall too much it was fairly easy. I didnt finish the first game I played on the harder difficulty level and played the last boss like 8 times and came so so close the last few times. That boss takes a a long time so I just moved on to echoes I will beat it later though.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

@juboner said:

simuse: What help function? I didnt see any help function, anyways I'm not using the help function if the game has one and I a,m the type that turns off destination markers if possible.

There's a help function which is turned on by default. Basically after a while it will pinpoint exactly where you need to go.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 juboner

@simuseb2: I must have turned it off.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You must come from an entirely different generation of gaming to not be absolutely floored by the atmosphere of Metroid Prime. I can understand not liking the pacing or the backtracking, but it's an amazing game (all three Prime games are) and really set the bar for first-person games during that decade.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

You must come from an entirely different generation of gaming to not be absolutely floored by the atmosphere of Metroid Prime. I can understand not liking the pacing or the backtracking, but it's an amazing game (all three Prime games are) and really set the bar for first-person games during that decade.

I recently introduced a friend to Prime and he isn't feeling the back tracking; but he is loving the atmosphere its just so good and he gushes on about it and I don't blame him.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Metroid Prime is one of the games I would give a 10/10.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 juboner

I just think its over rated, from a different generation I started gaming in the 80's. Maybe if I had played it back when it came out it would be different but I play many old games and find this to not be the case.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

I've only played through the third one, Corruption, and have heard that it is more straight-forward and action-oriented than the first two. I want to play through the first two still. Metroid Prime trilogy on New 3DS Nintendo?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Nintendo should release an HD trilogy of these games, reworked with the gamepad.