Metroid Prime Hunters Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

So this is a game I really enjoyed when i first got it years ago on the DS. Going back and playing it, I must say that it has lost much of its appeal.

Technically speaking, the game is really good. The prime art style really comes through, and the graphics are well done. Designs on the hunters (and final boss) are really cool. I enjoyed the rival bounty hunter aspect alot! It was a cool chance to add some new characters to the universe. The music is pretty solid, as well as the sound in general. The weapons all have cool sounds that are unique, and I love the sounds of the menu when interacting with the ship interface! Enemies sound cool as well, specifically the final boss always had a awesome battle cry. Overall the presentation is great, and the fault only comes with the gameplay and some choices that contradict Metroid, as well as handheld formats.

First lets get the story out of the way; it is rather basic but serves the purpose. A telepathic message is sent out from a remote location of space called the Alimbic Cluster say that the key to ultimate power resides there. The Galactic Federation send Samus to investigate the source and find the apparent weapon. Her goal is to every claim it for the federation, or failing that destroy it. However, rival Hunters also intercepted the message and want the power for their own motivations. Samus must gain access to this weapon by finding 8 Ocoliths spread across four planets within the cluster while fending off these other hunters to unlock the gate to the weapons location. That is the general plot in a nut shell, the universe is further fleshed out by the scan visor for those looking to explore the history of the long gone inhabitants of these planets. A missed opportunity is the hunters though. They are never characterized and it could have been really neat to see Samus interact with Rivals, or even forge bonds with fellow warriors. However, the motives are never really given; all of them attack Samus on sight and really steals the wind from their sails. It adds a twist to the gameplay though. If you are defeated by a hunter they will take one of Samus's Ocoliths, and she must track them down and get it back. I thought it was a neat idea and added some tension to the hunter battles.

The gameplay is interesting to say the least. The game controls fine at first glance, but the problem is the way it is played it hand cramp inducing. After a while it becomes uncomfortable to play; Kid Icarus: Uprising faced a similar issue. It hurts Hunters more because the design of the game isn't something to pick up and play for 20 or so minutes. Its a slower methodical game to explore every nook and cranny for every secret. Uprising is designed in a way that caters to its platform, it allows the player to enjoy the game and get out in a short amount of time. So if people were starting to cramp they can finish and take a break, or try and play through.While Fusion and Zero Mission make it work; I am focusing on the controls. Uprising knew it could get crampy after a while, and the way the game is designed is to help alleviate that. Fusion and Zero Mission don't have that issue at all, and aren't constrained by that issue; allowing them to design games that follow the traditional metroid experience. As I said, Hunters is designed like a Prime title; so it isn't based on getting in and out, or designed around the cramping issues and it suffers. The constant use of precise aiming doesn't really help matters either.

The actual game plays more like an actiony Prime-lite. It is very much based on Prime, but the levels are never as long, the puzzles complicated, or exploration very deep. The game is much more action based and it feels rather shallow. The newest additions are all the new beam weapons Samus can use. Really they are used to open color coded doors, or hit special targets. Its not till the end boss are they actually used meaningfully. However, when not cramping, the actiony bits are fun and the Hunters are a blast to fight. The end boss is wonderful, and the secret version is easy, but still fun. However, the other bosses are extremely lame. The same two bosses get repeated for every single level, meaning you'll the same two bosses four times each; and the designs are really boring. Its shame when seeing what a great boss battle looks like at the end. They could have done much more.

Finally the Multiplayer...well it is offline, but we can still play with bots! Actually its pretty fun to play. The default setting have it so matches don't last long, which helps to alleviate cramping. It is apparent most of the design was based around this mode, with so many contradictory design choices in the SP. The bots can have the difficulty changed as well. Another cool thing is each hunter has a beam weapon that is 'theirs'. This weapon will do something extra for that hunter. For example, Samus's signature weapon isn't any of the new beams but the missiles. So her missiles are the only ones that have a homing property. Overll the MP is a good time.

Wrapping up, I have mixed feeling coming back to Hunters. The single player was shallow, my hand hurt, and aside from the MP and a couple cool nuggets in the SP I was let down by the homecoming of the game. Its just alright. Nothing awful, but nothing great.

What do you all think?

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I wanted to reply because I appreciate the time you took to write this review. However, I haven't played the game, so I can't make any real comments. I remember thinking it looked interesting, but that's about it.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@Grieverr: Thanks! I generally enjoy putting my thoughts out and getting a conversation going about whatever it is (this case Hunters), but I am very glad that the writing is appreciated:)

It is a interesting game, and does have some appeal. Wish they did a different control scheme though; that hand cramping during power sessions was intense. Really hampered my enjoyment of the final boss. one of the game's highlights >.<

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

I hated the game. Graphics and controls were pretty cool, but the single-player was absolutely awful. If the single-player in a Metroid game (a series that's all about single-player) is bad, the game is really bad. Played some multi-player which was mildly fun in the beginning, but multi-player in a Metroid game just felt so damn wrong. Overall, crappy game. Metroid Prime Pinball was a lot better if we're talking Metroid games that aren't like Metroid..

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

A real misstep for Metroid Prime series, given a pass because it was Metroids.

New controls are nice, but these controls were even more cumbersome and hard to learn than conventional controls. With games like Wii Sports, the new controls were intuitive, but you should never have to work hard just to get accustomed to a control scheme that's not much different than the original.

The online deathmatch was nice, but it was moreso a feeling of "Wow, Nintendo is finally doing online and isn't in the 20th century" rather than "Wow, this is great".

The graphical resolution is piss-poor and the gameplay doesn't add anything new.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

It's the worst game in the series. It's also a pretty bad game by itself.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Oh man, this game is nostalgic for me. The clan I made, the clan battles, finally reaching 5 star rank in multiplayer, completing the story 100% to earn a special symbol on your player card, Trace being OP, Spire being useless, everyone using only the sniper, and hackers eventually coming to ruin the game. I loved this game and it was very impressive for an online multiplayer shooter on a handheld. Single player kinda sucked though, I'll admit.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

The single player experience of Hunters was MILES worse than Other M. However, Other M gets all the hate, and is considered the black sheep by most.

My theory to why it is like that that is because of social media. Back when the game came out in 2006, Facebook and Twitter became open to everyone, thus they were still in their infancy with very few users. Now everyone is part of some sort of social media site where most of their friends are on. Consequently, when one person complains all they're friends all hop on the bandwagon. Back before social media was big, people made their own opinions about things.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#9 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I played the Hunters demo cartridge more than I played the actual game, and I beat the damn thing.

I enjoyed it enough to finish it but I wouldn't go back to play it again. Don't recall any hand-cramping or anything, but I do remember it looking like rubbish.