Max size HDD wiiu is compatible with/best route to go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Heirren (18708 posts) -
So for those that are buying a hdd for use with the console, what route are you going--massive 3tb? Solid state? Is there a size limit? I use a 2tb hdd through USB3 on my laptop--now, once it gets moving its fast, but there seems to be a slight initial "boot time" of sorts if it remains idle for too long. Anybody know what spec is causing such a think? I've read a few Eurogamer articles on solid state drives. From that it seems like the way to go, but I've also heard horror stories of ssd just dying------wiiu is linked to an account so if a hdd were to die you'd be able to redownload, no? The wiiu uses SD cards as well..........is this just really the same thing as the hdd option? Is it multi card? Compact flash? Any pre order ears think about this yet? ***i suppose my biggest concern would be reliability.
#2 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8576 posts) -
The wiiu has USB 2.0. That will be it's bottleneck. Sounds like your external has power saving on so it turns off and sleeps when idle.
#3 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

There isn't a size limit for the HDD (Reggie talked about plugging in a 3TB HDD for the Wii U and it still working) I don't know if you can have a bigger HDD then 3TB but that should be enough for most people.

I'm not sure about SD card limit I don't know the current limit for 3DS SD cards but it used to be 32GB. Now I think it is 120GB limit.

#4 Posted by mariokart64fan (19650 posts) -

there shouldnt be a limit on wii u , any usb external hard drive will work with it but 1 tb is more then enough

#5 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

There isn't a size limit for the HDD (Reggie talked about plugging in a 3TB HDD for the Wii U and it still working) I don't know if you can have a bigger HDD then 3TB but that should be enough for most people.

I'm not sure about SD card limit I don't know the current limit for 3DS SD cards but it used to be 32GB. Now I think it is 120GB limit.

Nintendo_Ownes7

If you look on the last page of the 3DS info topic on the 3DS forum, there is a link to an article about someone who got a 128 gb SD card to work on it. The link explains how he did it.

*Edit*

Actually, heres the link for you.

But anyway, moving away from the 3DS, the Wii U, not regarding SD cards, seems to have no limit on the size of the external HDD. As long as it uses usb 2.0 it should work.