Mario Kart Wii boring compared to other MK games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

I recently played some Mario Kart Wii and found it kind of boring. The pace is slow, even on 150cc.

I remember playing MK 64 and MK DD when I was younger and they were a lot more intense from what I remember. I also read everywhere, that MK Wii is one of the worst entries in the franchise.

However, I am currently thinking about buying a 3ds. Is Mario Kart 7 more intense and faster than Mario Kart Wii?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34547 Posts

Mario Kart 7 is way better than MK Wii, imo. And yes, MK Wii is pretty boring. It's also quite ugly and the bikes are significantly better than cars. Worst MK I've played personally. Get 7, lots of fun and lots of people online still.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

The speed and items are a bit better in 7, but the tracks in MKwii are superior imo. 8 beats both by a long shot :P

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

7 feels bare bones, good for a portable but it's missing something

Wii's not bad, good tracks and variety.

The Wii U version is probably the worst of them all. It took a giant patch to make it decent.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34547 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

7 feels bare bones, good for a portable but it's missing something

Wii's not bad, good tracks and variety.

The Wii U version is probably the worst of them all. It took a giant patch to make it decent.

Agreed that MK7 feels "bare bones". Especially after wanting more of all the stuff that was in Mario Kart DS.. The sense of speed and shit is still great, though, which was important to TC. Disagree about MK8 being worse than Super Circuit and Wii..

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Mario Kart Wii is my favorite Mario Kart for racing. I think Mario Kart Wii has the best collection of racing tracks out of all the Mario Kart games, so that is the Mario Kart game that my friends and I go to for racing. For battle mode, Mario Kart 64 is the best.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I have absolutely no desire to go back and play Mario Kart Wii. It's ugly, unbalanced, and feels slow. Easily the worst Mario Kart I have ever played. MK7 is much better.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

mario kart wii looked blurry and very unappealing.....mario kart 7 is more colorful and looks prettier....should more enjoyable.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Soethi6

Okay, thank you. That sounds great. I really don't care a lot about tracks, never really played a MK game seriously.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@Litchie said:

Mario Kart 7 is way better than MK Wii, imo. And yes, MK Wii is pretty boring. It's also quite ugly and the bikes are significantly better than cars. Worst MK I've played personally. Get 7, lots of fun and lots of people online still.

The only issue I had with 7 was that you couldn't do custom cups with CPU opponents.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@soethi6 said:

Okay, thank you. That sounds great. I really don't care a lot about tracks, never really played a MK game seriously.

Just curious, but what exactly do you play Mario Kart for, then? Sounds to me like your impression of MK Wii has been hampered by some sense of nostalgia, which is unfortunate. Personally speaking, MK Wii is my favorite game in the series to this point. Granted, I've played only a bit of 7 and none of 8, so take that part with a grain of salt, but I've played all of the older games extensively leading up to it. Outside of battle mode, which was all it ever needed to be in the N64 game, I've never had much with a gripe with the game -outside of hackers online, which will never be a problem again. :P

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Soethi6

@Madmangamer364 said:

@soethi6 said:

Just curious, but what exactly do you play Mario Kart for, then? Sounds to me like your impression of MK Wii has been hampered by some sense of nostalgia, which is unfortunate. Personally speaking, MK Wii is my favorite game in the series to this point. Granted, I've played only a bit of 7 and none of 8, so take that part with a grain of salt, but I've played all of the older games extensively leading up to it. Outside of battle mode, which was all it ever needed to be in the N64 game, I've never had much with a gripe with the game -outside of hackers online, which will never be a problem again. :P

Well everybody says it is a great game. So I thought I try it. I just read MK Wii is bad and since I don't like it, I would like to give other parts of the series a try to see if I might like the other games.

Just expanding my gaming horizon ;)

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

MK64 feels slow when compared against the SNES version so it all depends on the perspective however I must say, Online on MK Wii was quickly turned into MK Online starring Funky Kong and Flame Runner which got boring quickly, even beating them got boring.

I must say though, the battle mode in Wii is better than in 8

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Looking back, MKWii might just be my least favorite MK game. It had balancing issues out the ass, to the point that it was more frustrating than fun.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

When looking back at MK Wii, it is seriously flawed. Tracks are too wide, item distribution is downright horrible; Battle Mode is butchered by the lack of rules option and design choice. Retro tracks are boring and vehicles are unbalanced.

That said, the later installments are much better but you should try MK DS, if you don't mind the graphics though.