Mario Kart Fixes: ideas for a more strategic game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shamguy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shamguy4
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

so mario kart 8 is fun, but i felt not enough changed, nor is there enough new things. I mean anti gravity mode is not special is the sense that everyone has it. its not something you get in the game. its just part of the scenery. It adds one thing though, the ability to boost off of other players. a slight added strategy.

Now I tried discussing intelligently what would make the mario kart game better on a different forum...

sadly I was met with er... interesting people who felt that 'if only there was a silver luigi, the game would be better'... really?... as if baby luigi wasnt enough... whats with the damn babies anyhow?

frankly i dont give a darn for the characters as much as I do gameplay, becasue the characters are not vastly different as in games like super smash. That and the fact that a silver luigi wont change the game!

Here are some fixes that would add strategy and better gameplay, unfortunately i don't develop games. only websites...

Item Upgrades:

it sucks when your in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place and you have a banana as your arsenal. And when you go through item boxes you sigh as nothing happens. It would be nice if there were upgraded items. This would add a lot of strategy:

hold onto your item and hope for a better one, while risking losing it to lightning or whatever...

if your in first place hold on to one item and watch it develop into something more suitable. granted it will take time... but the wait gives more strategy to the game...and protection.

keep your item for the next race:

the next race should begin with you holding an item if you had one at the end of your last race. this will be beneficial to people in last place. imagine someone in 12th spot starting with a bomb or a star? gives the loser a bit of an edge...

spectators should be able to grant items:

lets face it. its extremely boring to spectate. it would be nice if we were able to 'sponsor' an item to the player of our choice. imagine the excitement one would get when they realize that someone is watching them...and rooting for them.

So what do you think would make mario kart a more strategic game? cause right now theres too much luck involved i think... you can go from 1st place to last too easily. and from 12th to 3rd quite easily too.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I like the upgradable items idea. If it takes a whole lap to turn a little banana into a big banana by hitting three extra items boxes, for example, then that could work pretty well.

The problem is that it would discourage item use from everyone. If the upgrade for every weapon is decent, then everyone will hold their weapon until the next lap, then a flurry of items would be released, then there would be another lull.

My idea for a more strategic game is to play it more strategically. Getting a banana in first place should excite you, because now you have the ultimate defensive weapon. You can either place it in a spot that's difficult to avoid, or you can hold it for a potential red shell block. The banana is key to holding first place.

Also, silver Luigi.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@JordanElek said:

Getting a banana in first place should excite you, because now you have the ultimate defensive weapon. You can either place it in a spot that's difficult to avoid, or you can hold it for a potential red shell block. The banana is key to holding first place.

Also, silver Luigi.

The super horn is better

Mario kart isn't made to be challenging, it's kind of a party game. So is Smash bros. Just have fun with it

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

I just want Le Mans style solo and team based tournaments online.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I dislike the item distribution algorithm used in MK8. Currently, from 1 set of item boxes (the items aligned in a row), they will give the people who picked up an item box along that row the same class of items. This means if you picked up triple mushrooms, then there is a high probability that the people around you will most likely also have triple mushrooms (if not, then something similar, like a single mushroom). Likewise for shells, etc. This is somewhat annoying because your items effectively get cancelled out. If I pick up a red shell, and the person next to me also gets a red, then we'll just hit each other and be done with it. I think it's better if there is more randomness to the item distribution so items don't simply cancel each other out, which allows for more interesting interactions between different items, rather than everyone just doing the same thing cancelling out the advantage of having an item in the first place. For this reason, I find that moving up positions in MK8 is harder than ever before. If you're 8th, chances are you'll be stuck at around 8th for a long time.

\rant. Sorry for going a little off topic.

tldr; they need to fix the item distribution algorithm.

shamguy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shamguy4
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

is that really true? the same items are given to the people around you? are you sure?

But yes I noticed i rarely get red shells as often as i used to. I am getting a LOT of bananas, coins, 1 mushroom, green shell.

@JordanElek

i see what you mean that everyone would want to upgrade. perhaps only the junky items like a banana and a green shell can be upgraded. and the banana should NOT upgrade to rotating bananas but the straight back 3... more protection.

the surrounding shells and bananas never seem to protect me...

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Hell no to all that.

However I wouldnt mind if they took a page out of Diddy Kong Racing....remember you got a missile, then a homing missile then 10 missiles lol.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I just want the items you get when in first place not to suck. I hate getting a coin (especially when I already have 10). I hate that feeling of helplessness when I see that blue or red shell coming.

There should be something you can do, like maybe starting a drift at an exact time, something difficult, to protect yourself from that blue shell. And I don't mean holding on to a horn or a banana for 2 laps, just in case you do get to first place.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trugs26

@Grieverr said:

I just want the items you get when in first place not to suck. I hate getting a coin (especially when I already have 10). I hate that feeling of helplessness when I see that blue or red shell coming.

There should be something you can do, like maybe starting a drift at an exact time, something difficult, to protect yourself from that blue shell. And I don't mean holding on to a horn or a banana for 2 laps, just in case you do get to first place.

In Double Dash you could red drift out of blue shells. It was hard, but possible. Not sure if you can do it MK8 though - probably not.

But I agree that coins are a lame item. And I think there should be more interesting items for first place. Not necessarily better, it's just boring getting bananas. So something mundane as a banana, but different, just to make things a bit more interesting for people riding up in first.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

@trugs26: I'm ok if it's hard, but at least you should have a chance. I never played Double Dash, that sounds cool.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26

@Grieverr said:

@trugs26: I'm ok if it's hard, but at least you should have a chance. I never played Double Dash, that sounds cool.

Yeah. Here's a small tutorial on it to see how it's done. I think it was a cool thing to have, I wish/hope they'd keep it.