mario kart 8 new info thread - no voice chat

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

apparantly 720p 60fps even on 2 player splitscreen. but 3 or 4 player will reduce the quality.

no voice chat apparantly http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/57275/mario-kart-8-omitting-voice-chat/

blue shell is nerfed..

check out the video at the 2min mark....he gets hit and it doesnt completetly stop him.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi3oaNsp_sQ#t=122

-------------

gamepad features vid..:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zVy6QO0Umg

------------------

at the 33sec mark of this vid..a new item is shown. the pirana plant...looks a bit OP imo...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8xL9oHsyfI

---------------------

rainbow road from n64 returns in vid here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpK0_f1whs

--------------------

at 3:05 of this vid.. you can see the new boomberang item

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYCNMqlZ7o4

-------------------

n64 toads turnpike makes a return...see at 3:45 of this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPDqh4etiE

confirmed tracks:

Mushroom Cup

Mario Kart Stadium

Water Park

Sweet Sweet Canyon

Thwomp Ruins

Flower Cup

Mario Circuit

Toad Harbor

Twisted Mansion

Shy Guy Falls

Star Cup

Sunshine Airport

Electrodome

???

???

Special Cup

???

???

???

???

Unassigned Tracks

Bone Dry Ruins

Cloudtop Cruise

Dolphin Shoals

Shell Cup

Wii Moo Moo Meadows

DS Cheep Cheep Beach

GBA Mario Circuit

N64 Toad’s Turnpike

Banana Cup

GCN Dry Dry Desert

SNES Donut Plains 3

N64 Royal Raceway

3DS DK Jungle

Leaf Cup

???

???

???

???

Lightning Cup

???

???

???

N64 Rainbow Road

Unassigned Tracks

DS Tick Tock Clock

Wii Grumble Volcano

3DS Music Park

3DS Piranha Plant Pipeway

New features include:

• Spin Turbo: While racing upside down or on walls, players can bump into other racers or certain course obstacles to get a speed boost. Spin Turbo fundamentally redefines the way that players compete, and makes antigravity racing even more exhilarating.
  • Returning characters: In Mario Kart 8, players can race with returning characters Metal Mario, Lakitu and Shy Guy. These newly revealed returning characters join a host of previously announced favourites including all seven of Bowser’s minions, who are playable for the first time in Mario Kart history.
  • New items: Two new items join the fray in Mario Kart 8. First, the Piranha Plant attaches to the front of the player’s kart and chomps at other characters, banana peels on the course or even shells thrown by other characters. Each time the Piranha Plant lunges forward to bite, the player receives a brief boost of speed. The second new item is the Boomerang Flower. After acquiring it, racers can throw a boomerang at opponents to stun them, and its arc allows players to strike multiple opponents with a single toss. The boomerang can be thrown three times, forward or backwards.
  • New courses: Remixed classic courses make a return in Mario Kart 8 with favourites such as Moo Moo Meadows from Mario Kart Wii, Toad’s Turnpike from Mario Kart 64 and Donut Plains from Super Mario Kart, among others. The graphics and layout of these courses have been redesigned and reimagined. For example, Toad’s Turnpike now allows players to drive up certain walls in antigravity mode. The game will include 16 new courses and 16 remixed classic courses.
  • Live recorded music: For the first time in the Mario Kart series, select courses in Mario Kart 8 feature music recorded by live performers.
  • Control scheme: Mario Kart 8 will support a variety of control schemes including the Wii U GamePad, the Wii U Pro Controller, the Wii Wheel, and Wii Remote and Nunchuk. The game can also be played in off-TV mode using just the Wii U GamePad.

in other news...bullet bill item makes a return...sigh..i hated that item. was awesome if you were losing though.

post any info you guys have seen.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Honestly had no desire to get a WiiU until more clips of this game came out. The courses look fantastic so far.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KBFloYd

@Aquat1cF1sh: i knew nintendo was bound to deliver.

i just learned of a negative thing though. there is no asynchronous play.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#4 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I have been reading forums around the web, and I am very surprised to see many people complain about there being way too many Koopas because of the addition of the whole crew of Koopalings.

I think it is just awesome that we get to play as the seven of them on Mario Kart 8.

I have always used Koopa Troopa as my main character because he was always my choice on the SNES and I think light characters are by far the best ones to use on online multiplayer.

However, I am willing to switch him for a lightweight Koopaling. I am guessing both Larry and Lemmy will go on that category.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

MK8 is 1080p and 60fps...

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools: According to Destructoid, the game is 720p.

The graphics are crisp, detailed, and very dense in design, and not to mention this game runs at a rock solid 60FPS and at 720p -- which not only benefits the gameplay, but also the visuals. While they are a wonder to look at, there were times the visuals felt a bit too busy and got distracting. Not too often, but there were moments where they might've went a bit overboard with the bloom and flashing lights. With that said, it still looks stunning in motion, and these screenshots don't do this title justice.

Alessandro Fillari, Destructoid Contributor
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@KBFloYd: As in one player can't play exclusively on the touch screen?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: That's correct. MK8 does not allow 5 player local multiplayer through the use of the gamepad and 4 controllers, or the ability to use the gamepad as your own personal screen during split screen. So during split screen, the touchscreen will be split like the TV. The gamepad's functions in MK8 are basic, which is a real shame, but it should not hinder the experience too much.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Loving this :)

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

@@@ANIMEguy10034:

Nintendo has already confirmed, Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros are all 1080p and 60fps. All 1st party games from Nintendo starting with Mario Kart should be 1080p and 60fps from now on. F*** Destructoid.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@@@ANIMEguy10034:

Nintendo has already confirmed, Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros are all 1080p and 60fps. All 1st party games from Nintendo starting with Mario Kart should be 1080p and 60fps from now on. F*** Destructoid.

In all honesty, it does not matter what the resolution is as long as it is in HD, has a solid frame rate, and looks gorgeous, which it does. However, it's still hard to say whether or not MK8 is native 1080p because there are too many conflicting information online.

You claim that Nintendo will keep their word and some media oulets, such as Eurogamer, claimed it's 1080p at 60fps. Other media outlets, like Destructoid, claims that it's 720p at 60fps. On top of that we also have the fact that all media released thus far for MK8 has been 720p at best. Nintendo has uploaded 1080p videos before, so if MK8 was actually 1080p, we should expect 1080p videos, right? Nintendo claimed previous first party titles were going to be 1080p, but they ended up being 720p.

We will not truly know until it's released.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools

@ANIMEguy10034:

Nintendo didn't upload gameplay videos of DKC TF in 720p until it launched. MK8 videos will be once it releases. Though its really no point in the uploading it in 1080p to youtube...that would just take longer to upload.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

@Master_Of_Fools: Tropical Freeze is native 720p at 60fps, upscaled to 1080p. If there really is no point of uploading youtube videos at 1080p, then why do they bother uploading 1080p videos of Cubemen 2 and Nintendo Minute? I'm expecting MK8 to also be native 720p, like TF. If it is 1080p at 60fps, it'll be a pleasant surprise and an incredible feat, but, IMO, it does not seem that way.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

@ANIMEguy10034:

Sigh...It is and will be. I don't see why people doubt the Wii U. It can do 1080p and 60fps a HELL of a lot easier then the Xbox One, and easier then the PS4. Maybe if more people had actually worked on or with the Wii U dev kit they to would understand.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

@Master_Of_Fools: People will always doubt something until they're proven right or wrong. People will always doubt when previous claims were debunked. People will always doubt when there's not enough evidence given to them.

The Wii U is a pretty powerful console, and Mario Kart 8 gives us a taste of how beautiful games can be on it. However, too many recent games were initially labeled as 1080p at 60fps and ended up being 720p + upscaled or 30fps. This is why people doubt the Wii U and every new claim of the next big title being 1080p at 60fps. I really do not understand what the big deal is though. 720p looks great, and as long as the game keeps a smooth framerate, I'll be happy. In fact, framerate is far more important than resolution and it's great that MK8 is locked at 60fps for the most part.

Also, the part where you said "[The Wii U] can do 1080p and 60fps a HELL of a lot easier then the Xbox One, and easier then the PS4" sounds ridiculous. Leave that for System Wars.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Also, the part where you said "[The Wii U] can do 1080p and 60fps a HELL of a lot easier then the Xbox One, and easier then the PS4" sounds ridiculous. Leave that for System Wars.

Yeah, that'd be a good idea.

If the blue shell has indeed been nerfed, consider my interest piqued.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

This is one of the most beautiful games I've seen this gen. WOW.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KBFloYd

@Bread_or_Decide said:

This is one of the most beautiful games I've seen this gen. WOW.

hey bread,

its good to see you be nice to nintendo after all the hate you had for the wii.

also...about no voice chat...this doesnt affect me at all. but now there will be criticizm bait.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Kinda glad it won't have any chat support. I can put 100% on the race instead of the mindless drivel of other people.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#20 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I have never played an online game with voice chat enabled, and I never really felt its absence took it away from the experience.

So I am pretty ok with that.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Pierst179 said:

I have never played an online game with voice chat enabled, and I never really felt its absence took it away from the experience.

So I am pretty ok with that.

Yep. Thank God I don't have to listen to seven year olds screaming in their mic's.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

720, aye? Ah well, when the game looks that damn good anyway, who cares.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KBFloYd

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

720, aye? Ah well, when the game looks that damn good anyway, who cares.

after i saw xbox one couldnt do 1080p and ps4 struggled as well.... i know wiiu would only be 720p 60fps.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ANIMEguy10034

Most of my online races will be with randoms so the lack of voice chat is really no big deal for me. I'm sure someone out there will be disappointed, but they're most likely a minority.