Mario is not the most reconziable video game character in the world....

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Link

From the Guinness World Records 2010 Gamer's Edition:

"Most Recognizable Video Game Character: Mario? Sonic? Mega Man? Nope, it's Namco's very own Pac-Man. 94 percent of American consumers recognize the pellet-gobbler, edging out Nintendo's plumber by just one percent."

I find that hard to believe. I think there are many more people who know who Mario is than pacman. But hey whatever that's just my opinion.

Thoughts?

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Pacman has a distinctive shape. So that's not hard to believe.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

My kids are 8 and 5...and they haven't a clue who Pac Man is.

There is an entire generation of gamers who have no idea who Pac Man is. Based on that, I feel Mario would be more "recognizeable" than Pac Man.

LittleEnid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LittleEnid
Member since 2009 • 552 Posts

Kids may know Mario better, but every other generation of non-gamers knows Pac Man.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Kids may know Mario better, but every other generation of non-gamers knows Pac Man.

LittleEnid

It's true. The differnece is that Pac-Man is a character that was well known in the 70's when a lot of the todays parents and adults were kids and as well Pac-Man was the only video game character of the time ('cept maybe Qbert lol), so most of them should be familiar with the simple round Pac-Man :)

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
blasphemy besides people in there 30ies or late 20ies no one remembers pacman besides all of the 100ies of namco classic collections have pacman on them but of corse in america one of the worst games of alltime would have the most known mascot
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

I agree, Pac-Man is the most iconic game character. So someone's kids don't know him...okay? And? A LOT of people from the past generations do.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

blasphemy besides people in there 30ies or late 20ies no one remembers pacman besides all of the 100ies of namco classic collections have pacman on them but of corse in america one of the worst games of alltime would have the most known mascotelbert_b_23

...what? 20's or 30's? Keep going, bud. 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's. Teh Pac-Man has been around a long while, and has entertained several generations then everyone's favorite plumber.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]blasphemy besides people in there 30ies or late 20ies no one remembers pacman besides all of the 100ies of namco classic collections have pacman on them but of corse in america one of the worst games of alltime would have the most known mascotKhadaj32

...what? 20's or 30's? Keep going, bud. 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's. Teh Pac-Man has been around a long while, and has entertained several generations then everyone's favorite plumber.

pacman is just not only one of the worst franchises in gaming history but stupidest looking characters it saddens me to hear that it is the most known character they mustn't have did that poll with people that play games
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]blasphemy besides people in there 30ies or late 20ies no one remembers pacman besides all of the 100ies of namco classic collections have pacman on them but of corse in america one of the worst games of alltime would have the most known mascotKhadaj32

True, however the thing is not about length of time, but recognizable which one is.

Anyone who recognizes Pacman will recognize Mario as well.

But not everyone who recognizes Mario will recognize Pacman.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#11 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I can't say i'm surprised. I mean Pac man was enoormous in the 80's, and you can still find him in a lot of bars. People who have absolutely no inteest in video games know Pacman.

I know the same is true for mario, but Pac man's simplisity and unique shape make him more likely to stick in a non-gamer's head.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

just 1% more?

that's cutting it close.

Pac-man is only more reconziable because of his Shape.

Cut one piece of pie and people will say "LOL Pacman!"

But Mario is still the Mickey Mouse of the Video Game World.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised. Over time it will eventually be Mario but Pac Man should, yes I said should, hold a special place for any gamer, and it certainly holds a place for many non gamers who quit after 1980.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

There is an entire generation of gamers who have no idea who Pac Man is. Based on that, I feel Mario would be more "recognizeable" than Pac Man.

chefstubbies
There's still an entire (much older) generation who has no clue who Mario is, yet still remember pacman. It kind of balances out.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts

chefstubbies
Not true. You're forgetting a large demographic of people who stopped paying attention to video games in the 80's when Mario was still earning his recognition. They never learned who Mario was, but will never forget Pacman. That's right, grandpas and grandmas remember Pacman, yet have no clue about our koopa stomping buddy.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
That seems plausible. Pacmans first game was a hit. Jumpmans first game was not as successful. Pacman was also the FIRST mascot. That helps a lot.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i don't doubt it. i mean, whenever people (at least non-gamers) think about videogames, they think about a pizza eating pellets and running from ghosts, but this doesn't make mario any less "Mr videogame". i can't think of a person that looks at mario and doesn't think about videogames... wait, if thinking about videogames makes people think about pacman, and seeing mario makes people think about videogames... seeing mario makes people think about pacman :shock: i guess it's true then :|
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
" 94 percent of American consumers recognize the pellet-gobbler, edging out Nintendo's plumber by just one percent"alexh_99
there is the problem with this statement, Mario is more recognized on a global scale.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
That seems plausible. Pacmans first game was a hit. Jumpmans first game was not as successful. Pacman was also the FIRST mascot. That helps a lot.so_hai
DK was a huge hit as well. There would be lines at that machine.
x-Draven-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 x-Draven-x
Member since 2007 • 164 Posts
[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

Link

"Most Recognizable Video Game Character: Mario? Sonic? Mega Man? Nope, it's Namco's very own Pac-Man. 94 percent of American consumers recognize the pellet-gobbler, edging out Nintendo's plumber by just one percent."

I find that hard to believe. I think there are many more people who know who Mario is than pacman. But hey whatever that's just my opinion.

Thoughts?

Nah I'd believe pac man is more well known, a lot of older people probably don't know who mario is, but would have played pacman back in the day when video games first came out...
dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

I played Pac-man long before I ever played a Mario game. My parents used to stay up all night playing Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 that was connected to one of those old-timey televisions that was also a piece of furniture (you know, the TV's that were surrounded by a wooden cabinet).

Yeah, I'm old :(

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
Actually I would believe that. Pac Man kind of started it all in the arcade world. (I am an Arcade manager) Mario on the other hand kind of started it all on the home console front.
silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

"Most Recognizable Video Game Character: Mario? Sonic? Mega Man? Nope, its Link

alexh_99

AWESOME!!!

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

That settles it. We need to raise Mario awareness! Educate your friends and family TODAY.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Chance the title.

That poll was only in the US so you can't claim that Pac-Man is the most recognized game character in the world (even though he might be that anyway).

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts

LittleEnid
Mhm. Exactly.
black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts

this
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

silverfire675

AWESOME!!!

don't change the sentence's meaning :P
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Chance the title.

That poll was only in the US so you can't claim that Pac-Man is the most recognized game character in the world (even though he might be that anyway).

JLF1
I know, i realized that after i made the thread. I re-read it and noticed it said America. I think guiness world records should do it for the whole world instead of just one country. Would make a lot more sense imo
silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

[QUOTE="silverfire675"]

[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

BrunoBRS

AWESOME!!!

don't change the sentence's meaning :P

I didn't change it...I corrected it! XD

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#31 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I played Pac Man before Mario while Pac Man was great Mario has just taken over as the biggest name in videogames.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

when I opened this thread "Mario is not blah blah blah..." his link to the article in conjunction with his avatar at first glance made me think he was suggesting LINK from Legend of Zelda was more recognizable than mario lmao. I was like waa??

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

[QUOTE="LittleEnid"]

Darth-Samus

It's true. The differnece is that Pac-Man is a character that was well known in the 70's when a lot of the todays parents and adults were kids and as well Pac-Man was the only video game character of the time ('cept maybe Qbert lol), so most of them should be familiar with the simple round Pac-Man :)

How could Pac Man be well known in the 70's when it was released in 1980?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

[QUOTE="LittleEnid"]

Rocky32189

How could Pac Man be well known in the 70's when it was released in 1980?

people instantly associate anything related to atari with the 70s, me included, so it was just a mistake. i still can't think of a single person who doesn't look at anything that resembles pacman's shape without thinking about videogames... i'll test it on my 7year old cousin tomorrow and see if it's true :D
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#35 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

[QUOTE="so_hai"]That seems plausible. Pacmans first game was a hit. Jumpmans first game was not as successful. Pacman was also the FIRST mascot. That helps a lot.teknic1200
DK was a huge hit as well. There would be lines at that machine.

Notice you said "DK", not "Jumpman", though?

I think Pacman would be easily the most recognised, but this does not mean that he is the most beloved. Mario is more popular, no doubt.

Hitler is more recognisable than Mother Theresa, too!

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

chefstubbies

I'm betting that some years from now, Mario should take this price, Pac Man was a huge deal back in the 70's and 80's, but Mario was and still is bigger than him, Mario was, is and will be the Mickey Mous from games, hell maybe in the future Mickey Mouse will be the cartoon's Mario.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I doubt Pac Man is more recognizable than Mario if polls were involved instead of actuality. Pac Man is not even relevant anymore.

OMFG-Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OMFG-Kyle
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Interestingly enough, if you go back and look at the release dates, Pac Man (1980) only has one year on the original Donkey Kong (1981). However, Pac Man was the true star of his first title, and despite DK's success, Mario wasn't known as Mario for another two years when the original Mario Bros. (1983) hit. And it was two more before the platformer that really put him on the map as the iconic mascot of Nintendo was released (Super Mario Bros, 1985). But how reliable can the Guiness Book poll data really be, especially when the difference is only 1%? When you get that close, you kind of have to wonder how you even measure which of the two is truly more recognizable. Sure, Guiness Book's poll says it's Pac Man, but if each of us went out and asked 50 random passers by on the street for the names of each of a big stack of video game characters in pictures, we'd all come back with completely different results depending upon where we are in the world, as well as the age, gender, and race of the people we're asking, and a laundry list of other variables. To be completely honest, polls are pretty useless, especially when you're looking for an answer to a question like, "Which of these characters do you recognize?"
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Thats believeable, the only people who probably don't know who Pacman is are really young kids and all those people who call themselves hardcore and act like they are gaming connoisuers but know nothing of gaming before 2002. Most older people know Pacman, I mean it was thing in the early 80's when the arcade scene was huge. But on the same side of token a 1% difference leaves it up in the air, you have to take into account the margin of error which is likely greater than 1%.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#40 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised. Pacman is easily recognizable by his shape but I think that will soon change and Mario will be the most recognizable character. It's only a 1% difference so that won't be long.
DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

I played Pac-man long before I ever played a Mario game. My parents used to stay up all night playing Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 that was connected to one of those old-timey televisions that was also a piece of furniture (you know, the TV's that were surrounded by a wooden cabinet).

Yeah, I'm old :(

dkrustyklown
I have one of those tv's stored away in my basement, given to me by my in-laws. It still works. It doesn't surprise me that Pac-Mac beat out Mario by a small margin.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I can believe that
neildneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 neildneil
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

Pacman has a distinctive shape. So that's not hard to believe.TheLordMagnus

Pacman IS a distinctive shape. Like things can be "pacman-shaped".

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#45 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I came into this thread ready to say that TC was wrong, but I actually think that Pacman being more recognizable than Mario is a very possible fact.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Its an age thing. Ask a 10 year old kid that. He would think Pac Man was made in 2005 and released on XBLA or VC. Ask a 50 year old non gamer who Pac Man is and he will know. He would probably know who Mario is if he had kids.

Irondale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Irondale
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

blasphemy besides people in there 30ies or late 20ies no one remembers pacman besides all of the 100ies of namco classic collections have pacman on them but of corse in america one of the worst games of alltime would have the most known mascotelbert_b_23

True, however the thing is not about length of time, but recognizable which one is.

I'm almost 14, and I would say the opposite of the recognize thing...
XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Irondale

I'm almost 14, and I would say the opposite of the recognize thing...

You dont recognize Mario? You know.. the plumber? He's right, If you recognize PacMan you will know who Mario is. Cause he did make a greater impact on the world than pac man did and he comes from around the same era of video games. Now for the young gamers recognizing mario wont be a problem since NIntendo releases a Mario related game every year and he gets a lot of publicity and advertisement. PacMan doesn't have over 30 games, Mario does. Ask a 10 year old kid who pac man is and who mario is and ull have your answer.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BrunoBRS

Its an age thing. Ask a 10 year old kid that. He would think Pac Man was made in 2005 and released on XBLA or VC. Ask a 50 year old non gamer who Pac Man is and he will know. He would probably know who Mario is if he had kids.

XenoLair
ask a 10 year old and he'll think gaming started with the playstation 2 :P BTW i just saw a video that reminded me of this thread... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIrvpn3k9A4
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I also disagree with that. Basically anyone not born in the 70's or 80's is going to have no clue whatsoever who pacman is, pacman really hasn't starred in anything remotely big in a couple of decades.