Looks like the new 3DS will be region locked

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts

As someone who's yet to pick up a 3DS and was looking forward to the new 3DS, this is a HUGE turnoff for me. This gave me hell with the DSi, not interested in suffering again just to find and play the games I want on my handheld.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/07/new-3ds-models-will-be-region-locked-th-womp-th-womp/

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@mav_destroyer: I'm a bit of an advocate about region-freedom. Can you tell me a bit more about your experience with region-locking (where you are from, why you're buying from multiple regions etc)?

As an import enthusiast I battled with buying a 3DS for months before finally comitting to side with the Japanese market and importing a JPN 3DS LL. I would have bought the system/games far sooner if I didn't have to make the choices presented by region-locking.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Eh, not sure surprised, and nor do I think it'll effect me very much personally.

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

@mav_destroyer: I'm a bit of an advocate about region-freedom. Can you tell me a bit more about your experience with region-locking (where you are from, why you're buying from multiple regions etc)?

As an import enthusiast I battled with buying a 3DS for months before finally comitting to side with the Japanese market and importing a JPN 3DS LL. I would have bought the system/games far sooner if I didn't have to make the choices presented by region-locking.

I live in the North African region so we are often lumped in with Europe and the Middle East, but it's not a standard thing so we have retailers and vendors selling imported games/consoles from other countries like the US or Japan. So, it's really a nightmare for me when something is region locked.

For example I imported a DSi (my first NDS handheld!) from Japan. Was disappointed to find the menus were locked to Japanese language and DSi games were region locked even though DS games were not. With the 'New' 3DS locked off the bat I don't even know if I'll be able to get any games for it be them physical or digital.

Another example, I have to create multiple PSN accounts for the PS3 because the availability and pricing of prepaid US and EU PSN cards changes dramatically at retailers. My country (and region) are still not supported by Sony to this day so I can't access the store unless I use alternate accounts. If the PS3 was region locked I wouldn't have been able to buy and play over half the games I have.

I'm guessing, unlike the PS3, I can only manage 1 account for Nintendo's digital store with the 3DS and it has be the same region as the device. So if retailers don't stock the games I want from that specific region or if I don't find pre-paid e-shop cards then I'll have myself a very pretty paper weight.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I hate region locking.