Looking for a good RPG.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by white_wolf922 (257 posts) -

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a good RPG to play on either the DS or 3DS. I'd like something tha will last me awhile and has a good story, but other than that I'm not too picky. I was considering Pokemon Black 2, but I haven't played any Pokemon games since the GBA days honestly. I got to a point where I thought I was too old to play Pokemon, but now I feel like if it's a good game, then it's a good game so who cares if it's aimed at a younger audience. Anyway, if anyone has any advice that would be great.

#2 Posted by gokuofheaven (3443 posts) -
Radiant Historia - DS title.
#3 Posted by benleslie5 (7925 posts) -

I would highly recommend The World Ends With You (DS)

#4 Posted by Minishdriveby (10228 posts) -
The dragon quest games are pretty awesome for RPGs. Also Radiant Historia
#6 Posted by Justinps2hero (2172 posts) -
Shadow Wars, 130 hours says it gooood. (3ds)
#7 Posted by dsrules13 (1624 posts) -

Radiant Historia or Chrono Trigger.

If you want 3D graphics, then Dragon Quest IX.

#8 Posted by Tezcatlipoca666 (7241 posts) -

Radiant Historia - DS title.gokuofheaven

I'm going to recommend this game as well.

#9 Posted by spike6958 (4941 posts) -
Tales of the Abyss.
#10 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

There is a game being released for the Nintendo eShop called Crimson Shroud that is supposed to hit on December 13th. It looks like an old school kind of roleplaying game. Not sure how long it is supposed to be though.

#11 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16919 posts) -

Radiant Historia delivers in the story department and it should take you 50- 60 horus to see everything the game has to offer. The Dragon quest games are also great, especially IX. That game has unlimited content, so if oyu love old school JRPG's you'll love DQIX to death.

#12 Posted by The_Joker1721 (285 posts) -
Hmmm.... If you don't already have The world ends with you get on that right now son! What's wrong with you (But if you I'm terribly sorry!) Dragon quest 9 is also really awesome. Easily dropped 100+ hours into the game. Actually would have more but I can't seem to find my copy. Also I know it's not an RPG but I've been playing Kid Icarus: Uprising and it's a fantastic game. If you have it I highly recommend it...But look up some game play. How you control the game might no ideal for you. Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS is a pretty solid RPG. I've put about 60 hours into it and I'm still not done. Hope you find game buddy!
#13 Posted by white_wolf922 (257 posts) -

How is Devil Survior: Overclocked? I've always wanted to play one of those games, but I was never able to find the PS2 ones.

#14 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

Chalk another one up for Radiant Historia. Fantastic game, and one of the more original RPGs I've seen in a long time in many ways.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2 is one of my favorites as well. It has a ridiculous amount of content and a great job system that allows gives it a great replay value.

#15 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

pokemon black is a great place to start. Also boswer's inside story is another great rpg for DS

#16 Posted by wraith-squad66 (1368 posts) -

Devil survivor: Overclocked is one of my top 10 favorite RPGs!! i definitely recommend it :D It has somewhat of a grind at times though, so beware. Code of Princess is fun too, but i would'nt recommend it to everyone, because although it has heavy RPG elements, the gameplay is largely a side scrolling 3D beat-em-up that may feel repetitive at times, especially if you have no one online to play with. But the story is very fun and lighthearted, and the characters are awesome. Both games are fully voice acted too, which is just an added bonus. :)

#17 Posted by Lebowski__basic (1252 posts) -
The World Ends With You is a fantastic game and Chrono Trigger is a great game as well. For the record, you're never too old to play Pokemon; just ask my kids.
#18 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

There are plenty.

Pokemon (main series)
Radiant Historia
Dragon Quest IX
Mario & Luigi (series)
Final Fantasy IV
The World Ends With You
Kingdom Hearts 358/2
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Tales of the Abyss

And if you like SRPGs theres always

Devil Survivor (series)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced A2
Disgaea
Pokemon Conquest
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

That's only some of what I've played. I haven't played them myself, but the Etrian Odyssey and Rune Factory series come to mind as well.

#19 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -
All four Dragon Quest games are brilliant and will last you forever.
#20 Posted by loosingENDS (11881 posts) -

Hopefully Bravely Default will be localized for US, even more hopefully in early 2013

Here is a petition for it

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/operation-brave-square-enix-bring-bravely-default-flying-fairy-to-the-west