List your complaints on Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

For those who have had time to play games, explore the OS, tinker with apps, and utilize the online features, tell us in a numbered listed order what needs to change. From highest priority to lowest, list out your demands. I mention it like this because I have realized that the Wii U is great in many respects with just the most blatant issues that other modern electronics companies would never allow to happen. Nintendo has always excelled at the creative and then overlooks some practical applications of gaming standards.

1. OS loading times need to be fixed. (whatever it takes, more inexperienced users will be driven crazy by this)

2. Voice chat should be integrated into the background of the OS. Nintendo has never understood how to get it working right. You should be able to chat by simply pressing the Home button and looking at your friend list no matter what software you are using. Software should derive their chat system from a universal interface made by Nintendo. This isn't a revolutionary feature, its how social technology works.

3. Second screen application for apps like Netflix, Youtube, or Video on demand software are nonexistant. I should be able to watch a video on the TV while browsing other content on the GamePad or vice versa. That second screen is what will pull me away from using these apps on my laptop, PC, iPhone, next gen console and so on. It should be the X factor but it doesn't exist yet. I am hoping this is due to lack of time and not lack of vision or capability.

4. Friend lists and partying up with players should be as intuitive as the gameplay Nintendo claims to put forth.

5. When I press the Home button I want a wider spectrum of places to go. I should be able to play Little Inferno, press Home button, and then click a link to play Netflix. Its not that difficult and it allows more accessibility. I should be able to jump from any software in the system from the Home button.

new complaints** update

6. Wiii U Pro Controller lacks analogue triggers. This is a big deal for rsacing and shooting games esp. but it just causes difficulty for all third party developers trying to make multiplat games be similar is performance quality.

7. Nintendo is not standardizing their control options AT ALL!!!! New Super Mario Bros. U requires you to use Wiimotes. You can't even play coop with a Wiimote and the other player using a GamePad. You have to play boost mode while one player is actually travelling the levels. I think its bad business practice to artificially make certain controller propriotary for no reason. The Wiimote is a basic controller, many games support just this controller. However the GamePad, Pro Controller, and Classic Controller all function exactly the same. It has the same D-Pad and 2 buttons in the same placement area. Considering I started out with a GamePad, a Pro Controller, and a Wiimote I shpould have been able to play NSMBU with 2 other friends. The reality is I can only play 1 player actively.

**Top Complaints by Other Users**

SolidTy- 'Wii U Pro Controller lacks a headphone jack so you have to tether it to a GamePad.'

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

For those who have had time to play games, explore the OS, tinker with apps, and utilize the online features, tell us in a numbered listed order what needs to change. From highest priority to lowest, list out your demands. I mention it like this because I have realized that the Wii U is great in many respects with just the most blatant issues that other modern electronics companies would never allow to happen. Nintendo has always excelled at the creative and then overlooks some practical applications of gaming standards.

1. OS loading times need to be fixed. (whatever it takes, more inexperienced users will be driven crazy by this)

2. Voice chat should be integrated into the background of the OS. Nintendo has never understood how to get it working right. You should be able to chat by simply pressing the Home button and looking at your friend list no matter what software you are using. Software should derive their chat system from a universal interface made by Nintendo. This isn't a revolutionary feature, its how social technology works.

3. Second screen application for apps like Netflix, Youtube, or Video on demand software are nonexistant. I should be able to watch a video on the TV while browsing other content on the GamePad or vice versa. That second screen is what will pull me away from using these apps on my laptop, PC, iPhone, next gen console and so on. It should be the X factor but it doesn't exist yet. I am hoping this is due to lack of time and not lack of vision or capability.

4. Friend lists and partying up with players should be as intuitive as the gameplay Nintendo claims to put forth.

5. When I press the Home button I want a wider spectrum of places to go. I should be able to play Little Inferno, press Home button, and then click a link to play Netflix. Its not that difficult and it allows more accessibility. I should be able to jump from any software in the system from the Home button.

thedude-

1. Fix the slow ass OS, it's embarrasing how pitifully slow it is.

2. The sound output of the system should have had optical out, I'm not complaining that HDMI is there for audio, it's just the fact that most people won't ever have a true 5.1 surround sound out of this system when it has been a staple of every other system before it for more than 6 years now. This is a lazy, cheap and pitiful console design element forcing people into PCM via HDMI.

3. Ethernet port, Nintendo you lazy douchebags have done it again. Wifi is acceptable...just barely. Seriously it would have cost like what, a damn dollar to put an ethernet port on this thing?

4. Miiverse is too limited in it's function. Why not let us customize what is on the miiverse? It's neat to have but you have so little control over what is going on with the miiverse. This is a minor complaint compared to the previous complaints for me though.

I'm sure there's a laundry list of other complains but these are the main ones that are currently bothering me. Other than that I do like the console, it's a lot of fun to use and once there are some higher quality games on the system it will be much better. Time will tell...

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I think very highly of the system, but it's not perfect:

1. Agree that the OS is too slow.
  2. I know it is only just out. I would like to at least see more games announced. I feel that there just isn't enough on the horizon.
  3. How can I check my in game accomplishments?
  4. Even if it made the system more costly, I'd have preferred hardware which gave an obvious graphical edge over the current gen consoles. I think this could have been achieved with about ~15% more cost to the consumer, and some more cost beyond this which Nintendo should absorb. I didn't expect a beast, or something rivalling enthusiast PCs, I just think if the system had differentiated itself from the 7th gen HD twins a bit more, it would have received greater acceptance.

Even though my sound system is set up for optical, I don't really care I'm running stereo for the time being, until I get an HDMI capable amp. If Nintendo can avoid giving money to Dolby Laboratories, Digital Theater Systems,et al, then I think they should.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

hahaha..glad I ain't the only one.

1. Definitely fix up the slow arse OS!!!

2. No support for Dolby Digital/DTS??..c'mon!

3. Improve the graphics even if they're just party games, c'mon at least show off some of the graphic prowess.

that's about it, I don't have much to complain otherwise..hahaha.. :P

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

1. The OS is kinda slow... I guess? Fix it.

2. Do away with "Wii Mode" and intergrate everything to the system as was done with the 3DS

3. Make Virtual Console games playable on the gamepad

4. Streamline the menus for Wii Remote use (Why can't I use it in the eShop?)

5. I probably have more...

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

1. How can I check my in game accomplishments?

psymon100

Nintendo still hasn't integrated this into the Wii U yet

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

You should be able to start your own message thread instead of posting in the "communities" section. I do like the lobby approach Nintendo is using to encourage user interaction. It's a cool idea.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thedude-

jer_1I guess I was mistaken but can't HDMI produce the same quality as an optical out.

I looked it up:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/13062011.html?refer=y

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

jer_1I guess I was mistaken but can't HDMI produce the same quality as an optical out.

I looked it up:

thedude-

he probabaly doesn't have an HDMI reciever..

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KBFloYd

1. ability to press the home button while online in a game... ALTHOUGH...there would be a lot more dashboard rage quit online....so not sure i want it afterall :P

2. ability to send messages to the people just met online list....cmon..we need some hate mail..

3. making the OS faster would be really really sweet.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KBFloYd

4. Miiverse is too limited in it's function. Why not let us customize what is on the miiverse? It's neat to have but you have so little control over what is going on with the miiverse. This is a minor complaint compared to the previous complaints for me though.

jer_1

customize it how?

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

1. Obviously the operating system is to slow. I started up New Super Mario Bros. U for the first time yesterday and thought my system had frozen because it took so long to load.

2. The one hundred character limit on Miiverse posting is to small for long winded people like me. At least double it.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

1. How can I check my in game accomplishments?

killerband55

Nintendo still hasn't integrated this into the Wii U yet

Yes. That's right. Hence why it is a legitimate complaint. I am unsure at what you're getting at here dude?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

1. Release Dragon Quest X in the US already.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
1. Slow ass OS 2. Aspect ratio is effed up on my old CRT TV. 3. Wii mode sucks, why can't it just function without it? 4. random gamepad disconnects even when I'm 3 feet away. 5. Miiverse sucks, what's the point? 6. Youtube is slow as hell and how do I even use Tvii? Basically the console needs to be polished up a LOT.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Most depressing thread ever! :P
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

1. Slow ass OS 2. Aspect ratio is effed up on my old CRT TV. 3. Wii mode sucks, why can't it just function without it? 4. random gamepad disconnects even when I'm 3 feet away. 5. Miiverse sucks, what's the point? 6. Youtube is slow as hell and how do I even use Tvii? Basically the console needs to be polished up a LOT. YoshiYogurt

Wow. You are literally the first person I have seen who dislikes Miiverse. It has garnered universal praise otherwise from what I have seen. I do not understand how you can post on a video game message board here and not understand the point of Miiverse. It allows gamers to discuss the games that they are playing with other gamers who are playing the same games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]1. Slow ass OS 2. Aspect ratio is effed up on my old CRT TV. 3. Wii mode sucks, why can't it just function without it? 4. random gamepad disconnects even when I'm 3 feet away. 5. Miiverse sucks, what's the point? 6. Youtube is slow as hell and how do I even use Tvii? Basically the console needs to be polished up a LOT. Euaggelistes

Wow. You are literally the first person I have seen who dislikes Miiverse. It has garnered universal praise otherwise from what I have seen. I do not understand how you can post on a video game message board here and not understand the point of Miiverse. It allows gamers to discuss the games that they are playing with other gamers who are playing the same games.

exactly...miiverse is gamespot dedicated and run by nintendo owners..

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

1. Fix the slow ass OS, it's embarrasing how pitifully slow it is.

2. The sound output of the system should have had optical out, I'm not complaining that HDMI is there for audio, it's just the fact that most people won't ever have a true 5.1 surround sound out of this system when it has been a staple of every other system before it for more than 6 years now. This is a lazy, cheap and pitiful console design element forcing people into PCM via HDMI.

3. Ethernet port, Nintendo you lazy douchebags have done it again. Wifi is acceptable...just barely. Seriously it would have cost like what, a damn dollar to put an ethernet port on this thing?

I'm sure there's a laundry list of other complains but these are the main ones that are currently bothering me. Other than that I do like the console, it's a lot of fun to use and once there are some higher quality games on the system it will be much better. Time will tell...

jer_1

Nice one, those are exxactly my points even though I don't care that much about the ethernet port, I can see how that's a KO criteria for people without wlan

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

i love nintendo but this seems like this is a console to wait for a better version.

If I wait I'll get a better OS, longer battery life in the gamepad, longer range on the gamepad larger hardrive, better games, maybe an ethernet port.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#21 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The one hundred character limit on Miiverse posting is to small for long winded people like me. At least double it.

Euaggelistes

Yes, this. Fails to provide a proper alternative for GameFAQs. I also love how you can post a highly detailed drawing, as well as pictures, but are limited to just 100 characters. Makes sense...

marinevetstl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 marinevetstl
Member since 2012 • 175 Posts

I want online chat / party feature. This is where Xbox is king. Even PS3 has online in game chat. You can send friend requests no problem, so how freakin easy would it be to send game invites when playing Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed? Sheesh.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thedude-

i love nintendo but this seems like this is a console to wait for a better version.

If I wait I'll get a better OS, longer battery life in the gamepad, longer range on the gamepad larger hardrive, better games, maybe an ethernet port.

GunSmith1_basic
Yea I know what you mean. I sound like a real downer, but Nintendo cannot just rest on a great idea if the tools around that concept are not stable. They release their products now partially complete. It is not fair. I am not trying to troll, but I am seeing a trend with the 3DS and the Wii U.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
My only complaint is that I didn't know that my NNID was going to be my screen name in MP games. Now I either need to be happy with the name I got or start a new accounts for Blops2 and madden.
jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 jayd02
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

I would like my Wii U to stop freezing.

I can't go one day without my Wii U freezing on Black Ops.

It froze on the first cutscene of Assassin's Creed 3

Then it decied to whine when I wanted to play Nintendo Land with my friends.

So how about they fix that, fix my entire console.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
The entire system just needs more pizzazz -- they need to make it so it shoots out confetti, or something.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 superbuuman

GunSmith1_basic

lol you'd better hope you don't get a lower quality build WiiU from the launch ones..seeing how Nintendo pointed out their *supposedly* selling at a loss, they might go an even more cheaper build, no shiny surface, cheaper plastic. :P In seriousness, yea better to wait till it has your favourite games out on it. :)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KBFloYd

I want online chat / party feature. This is where Xbox is king. Even PS3 has online in game chat. You can send friend requests no problem, so how freakin easy would it be to send game invites when playing Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed? Sheesh.

marinevetstl

you can send friend requests just as easily on wiiU as on xbox...

but yes ..inviting people to your game or forming a party is easier on xbox.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]1. Slow ass OS 2. Aspect ratio is effed up on my old CRT TV. 3. Wii mode sucks, why can't it just function without it? 4. random gamepad disconnects even when I'm 3 feet away. 5. Miiverse sucks, what's the point? 6. Youtube is slow as hell and how do I even use Tvii? Basically the console needs to be polished up a LOT. Euaggelistes

I don't like the Miiverse either, I find it completely useless. My Wii U owning friends don't like it either.

I'm only posting because you said he was "literally the first person...who dislikes Miiverse", but I've seen many people say they don't like Miiverse. We are out there, and we don't like it or have a use for it. Do I want it gone? I don't care, but those that I can see like it can keep it. I don't like Second Life, I don't like PS Home, I don't like Miis, I don't like Twitter, I don't like Avatars, not everyone likes that crap...When my machine (every machine, in this case a Wii U) turns on I can't wait to get right to playing a game. I don't have a lot of time to be d****ing around you see.

Anyways, my list is relatively long, but overall I would be happy if they just fix the ;

Stupid Nintendo Network IDs stuck to a console. Horribly backwards thinking, until it's fixed I will not support Nintendo's Digital games.

Stupidly slow OS. I can't stand it.

Limited Sound Options (I have great 7.1 HDMI receiver in one room, great 5.1 Opitcal in another room). My second Wii U has lame ass Stereo in the 5.1 room due to Nintendo's lack of Optical and other codec support. My second 360 and second PS3 in that very same room aren't nearly as limited.

No Ethernet. I love WiFi, but again, stop being so damn cheap...especially with horribly slow required OS downloads.People's systems were bricking due to this.

No official Wireless Headset. If they would take online seriously, they would have had this out and ready to go. 3rd party publishers notice this type of ****.

No Headset jack on the Pro Controller. Great, thanks for the HDTwin knock-off controller Nintendo, but guess what, I still have to plug in my wired headset into the Gamepad Tablet that I'm not using. Great f***ing design.

Low Battery Life on said gamepad. Alrighty then!

Long Battery Recharging. Why does this take SO DAMN LONG!@!@!

Two Powercords. Three when you connect the Standalone powercord recommended HDD due to Nintendo only offering me 32gigs. Three damn powercords behind my Plasma HDTV, my other consoles, my Reciever...it's ridiculous. That's a lot damn powercords! That's Genesis + 32x + Sega CD level of bad powercord design.

I trimmed this list up. I could go on. At this point I want them to fix the Nintendo Network ID, release a 1st party better battery, and fix the Slow OS and I'll deal with the rest.

EDIT : I fancied this post up due to a New Year's Resolution, I'm not that emotional, but it makes for a fun post I guess, lol.

OrryC87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OrryC87
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
The main problem I hate is the overscanning issue. I'm only getting near 90% of the image cause its cropping it off! I hope Nintendo fixes this with a near future update. Also, the loading times.....
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KBFloYd

I don't like the Miiverse either, I find it completely useless. My Wii U owning friends don't like it either.

SolidTy

do you like nintendo Tvii? or is it useless crap too?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 superbuuman

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

KBFloYd

hehehe...if only Tvii works in Australia..tho this is Nintendo Australia problem. I don't use miiverse either...Pretty much just game & browsing internet on WiiU. :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

I'm only posting because you said he was "literally the first person...who dislikes Miiverse", but I've seen many people say they don't like Miiverse. We are out there, and we don't like it or have a use for it. Do I want it gone? I don't care, but those that I can see like it can keep it. I don't like Second Life, I don't like PS Home, I don't like Miis, I don't like Twitter, I don't like Avatars, not everyone likes that crap...When my machine (every machine, in this case a Wii U) turns on I can't wait to get right to playing a game. I don't have a lot of time to be d****ing around you see.

Anyways, my list is relatively long, but overall I would be happy if they just fix the ;

Stupid Nintendo Network IDs stuck to a console. Horribly backwards thinking, until it's fixed I will not support Nintendo's Digital games.

Limited Sound Options (I have great 7.1 HDMI receiver in one room, great 5.1 Opitcal in another room). My second Wii U has lame ass Stereo in the 5.1 room due to Nintendo's lack of Optical and other codec support. My second 360 and second PS3 in that very same room aren't nearly as limited.

No Ethernet. I love WiFi, but again, stop being so damn cheap...especially with horribly slow required OS downloads.People's systems were bricking due to this.

No official Wireless Headset. If they would take online seriously, they would have had this out and ready to go. 3rd party publishers notice this type of ****.

No Headset jack on the Pro Controller. Great, thanks for the HDTwin knock-off controller Nintendo, but guess what, I still have to plug in my wired headset into the Gamepad Tablet that I'm not using. Great f***ing design.

Two Powercords. Three when you connect the Standalone powercord recommended HDD due to Nintendo only offering me 32gigs. Three damn powercords behind my Plasma HDTV, my other consoles, my Reciever...it's ridiculous. That's a lot damn powercords! That's Genesis + 32x + Sega CD level of bad powercord design.

I trimmed this list up. I could go on. At this point I want them to fix the Nintendo Network ID, release a 1st party better battery, and fix the Slow OS and I'll deal with the rest.

EDIT : I fancied this post up due to a New Year's Resolution, I'm not that emotional, but it makes for a fun post I guess, lol.

KBFloYd

I was never talking about Tvii in any of that post.:? My post was about what I don't like, like the Original Poster and Topic Creator asked for...

This is a thread about listing complaints on our Wii U. Feel free to make a counter thread about what we like about the Wii U, and I'll freely post things I like.

I think TVii is okay I suppose. I personally don't use it at all, and I don't see that changing but I don't think it's as useless as Miiverse...it's just not for me. I only responded anyways due to what I said in orange, to back up that other Wii U owner who didn't like Miiverse.

I posted my complaints to also be on topic for the thread. Answering your post chatting about a subject I never spoke up on "TVii" would be off topic. I never even once brought TVii up. We may as well talk about other things I didn't bring up, like that upcoming new Wii U strawman game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidTy

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

superbuuman

hehehe...if only Tvii works in Australia..tho this is Nintendo Australia problem. I don't use miiverse either...Pretty much just game & browsing internet on WiiU. :)

I just wanted to back up that one dude that didn't like it because that other poster was all, "That's Unpossible, no one ever-ever disliked Miiverse! You are literally like, the first person ever in existence to dislike the miracle of Miiverse!!!". I was like, "Uh, I wasn't going to post, but yeah I'm gonna post now if only for solidarity."

I can see you are part of the "Not a fan of Miiverse"gang. It's all good. It clearly serves a market and there are some people that like it, so good on them. I'm just not one of them that like it, nor are my friends, nor are posters I run into from time to time.

I don't have the time to fiddle fart around with that Mii stuff, I want to game before I go to bed and go back to the grind of life the next day.

Wii U games? Now those I can get behind! That's why I bought the dang machine! :P

Mii's and Miiverse? They are not for everyone, that's for sure. For those that get joy out of it, more power to them. I'm not one that will join in on that ferry though.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
The Wi-Fi won't work consistently so I have to reboot the router more often than usual. The 3DS and Wii never had that problem.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
  1. When using the Wii emulator, there's a big black border around the edge. I can correct this with my TV, but some can't. Plus, switching the zoom level is annoying every time.
  2. I don't really understand how chat is implemented for online play. Why can't you chat using the WiiPad's built in mic? Seems like that would be such an obvious, awesome solution.
  3. TVii sucks... it doesn't know which channels I have and don't have, and a lot of the time it suggests I rent the show on Amazon or something as the only option. I don't want to pay to buy or rent shows since I subscribe to pay-cable, and wish you could say "Don't show me any Amazon/Hulu content." Also, a "Pick which channels you subscribe to" feature would be a lot better than the PACKAGE 1 or PACKAGE 2 choices you get for your cable provider currently. As it is, I will never ever use TVii, which is sad because it was a selling point for me. And while we're on the subject, how about On-Demand integration?

On a positive note, I really enjoyed ZombiU... except for that crappy ending.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 donalbane
[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

It's pretty useless... especially if you have a nice Harmony or other Universal remote already.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 donalbane
[QUOTE="thedude-"]

I looked it up:

Actually HDMI produces better sound given the right equipment. Optical is lossy.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidTy

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

donalbane

TVii sucks... It's pretty useless... especially if you have a nice Harmony or other Universal remote already.

I have two Harmony Remotes which is probably why I wasn't interested in TVii to begin with. :P It's got TV guide type of thing going for it, but I don't care for it. I'm glad you had some TVii opinions to share, he was looking for someone to chat with on the subject of TVii. :)

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
1) The operating system sucks. Long and often random load times. 2) The WiFi seems pretty bad. I don't know why. I can stream movies and shows on my Roku player without a hiccup and it sits just a few inches from the Wii U. While trying the same on the Wii U I often get frequent rebuffering or lowered image quality.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

donalbane

It's pretty useless... especially if you have a nice Harmony or other Universal remote already.

lol.. the whole point of Tvii isnt to use your wiiU gamepad as a remote!...

the whole point is for it to tell you all the tv shows that are on or which movies are playing at the time...

click on tv ...then click on live....it shows you everything on and if you like something..then click on it and click yes and the gamepad will change the channel to that program if you wish...

same for movies....click on movies... then live...it shows you all the movies playing at the time....sure there will be channels that you dont have on there....but hey maybe you will find a channel that usually has good stuff you like to watch and then you can call your provider and order that channel!

when you click on a movie you can also click on cast or wikipidedea....which shows all the info you need on that movie....much more info than using your cable box channel guide..

tvii is basically a tv guide on steroids....not a replacement for your remote control.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 donalbane

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

KBFloYd

lol.. the whole point of Tvii isnt to use your wiiU gamepad as a remote!...

the whole point is for it to tell you all the tv shows that are on or which movies are playing at the time...

click on tv ...then click on live....it shows you everything on and if you like something..then click on it and click yes and the gamepad will change the channel to that program if you wish...

same for movies....click on movies... then live...it shows you all the movies playing at the time....sure there will be channels that you dont have on there....but hey maybe you will find a channel that usually has good stuff you like to watch and then you can call your provider and order that channel!

when you click on a movie you can also click on cast or wikipidedea....which shows all the info you need on that movie....much more info than using your cable box channel guide..

tvii is basically a tv guide on steroids....not a replacement for your remote control.

I have practically all the channels my provider offers, but it still recommends things that aren't on TV at all... it suggests I buy or rent shows on Amazon or Hulu. I'm not the slightest bit interested in those services, but you can't opt out of them. Who wants to use a service that is constantly acting like a cool show is on TV only to find out that it's a pay-only program? Point is, you need to be able to say "DON'T SHOW ME SHOWS ON THESE PARTICULAR CHANNELS, HULU OR AMAZON".

And your idea that the service is going to show me the light and help me choose new channels to subscribe to with my cable is rather absurd considering that I am extremely familiar with the channels I subscribe to, the ones I don't, and why.

And as far as 'favorite shows', and 'recommendations', I guess I'm not like most people in terms of my viewing habits. I generally hate network TV and rarely watch anything that isn't on pay cable, but am unable to customize it to show me only what's on Showtime, Cinemax, HBO and Stars.

So what are you left with? A remote control. And one that isn't nearly as intelligent as the Harmony One or similar products. I see potential for improvements, and am not writing off the service completely... it does seem to have some real appeal to sports fans (something that also doesn't appeal to me), but as-is, it's very shoddy and not at all the sort of service I envisioned when they showed it off prior to the systems launch.

It could all be fixed if you had a more time consuming process of having the TVii ask you which channels and services you want to monitor. It would take a while to set up, but who cares if it takes time if the service produces meaningful results?

Also, if you have your WiiU hooked up to a receiver, changing inputs and volume on the TV is near useless. You will still have to use your Harmony (or whatever), depending on your setup. So yeah... it's a visual TV guide with a touch interface that produces too many false-positives to be useful.

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
Besides fixing the slow OS, I just wish that the tv remote mode had a mute button on it. Its just a bit to simple to be perfect.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

Obviuosly, improve the OS speed. It takes FOREVER to get to the Wii menu, and Virtual console/Wii games should be accessible from the Wii U menu in thr first place. The fact you can't use the home button to get back to the Wii U menu while playing a game is inexcusable. Nintendo are so far behind Microsoft and Sony in online and community aspects. It's laughable.