kinda disappointed with Nintendo and its VC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

browsing the Japanese Mii-verse and noticed Breath of Fire 2 is released upon it. NOOOOO...

I'd kill for some JRPG goodness in the form of Breath of Fire.

#2 Posted by Lach0121 (9775 posts) -

This is the one thing I worry about when getting a WiiU. 

I worry that the VC won't get supported all that much, and many games just won't make it on there.

We don't have a Wii, so we can't access the Wii VC, unless there is a way to do that through the WiiU?!?

The Wii VC list looks pretty good, but what little I saw on the WiiU VC list lacks basically every game I want to get on it.

Hopefully soon they will start expanding on the WiiU VC, as we plan on getting one here before long.

#3 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7105 posts) -

I worry that the VC won't get supported all that much, and many games just won't make it on there.

We don't have a Wii, so we can't access the Wii VC, unless there is a way to do that through the WiiU?!?

The Wii VC list looks pretty good, but what little I saw on the WiiU VC list lacks basically every game I want to get on it.

Hopefully soon they will start expanding on the WiiU VC, as we plan on getting one here before long.

Lach0121

You can access the Wii Shop in Wii mode and get virtual console titles that way. I had to redownload all my VC games after my system transfer screwed up.

#4 Posted by zombieeric (46 posts) -

I don't understand why Nintendo's been so slow to bring VC games to the Wii U.  What is the logic in not having the entire catalogue of Wii VC titles also available for Wii U?  Also, I really think they need to step up their sales with VC titles.  When I can get games from 2012 for dirt cheap on PSN, it's kinda hard to justify spending $5 on a NES game that's older than I am.

#5 Posted by Lach0121 (9775 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

YearoftheSnake5

You can access the Wii Shop in Wii mode and get virtual console titles that way. I had to redownload all my VC games after my system transfer screwed up.

Just to clarify, what you are saying is this:

Without ever owning a Wii, and buying off of its VC, I can get a WiiU, go to a Wii shope mode, and play games that are not yet currently on the WiiU VC, but are currently on the Wii VC?

IF so, then what is the difference of the Wii VC, and the WiiU VC (are they like re-mastered for HD or something, better controls, or just more convienent access?)

#6 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

[QUOTE="YearoftheSnake5"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lach0121

Without ever owning a Wii, and buying off of its VC, I can get a WiiU, go to a Wii shope mode, and play games that are not yet currently on the WiiU VC, but are currently on the Wii VC?

IF so, then what is the difference of the Wii VC, and the WiiU VC (are they like re-mastered for HD or something, better controls, or just more convienent access?)

Yup you got it lol. You cant do 'OFF SCREEN PLAY' i'd assume is the main and only difference and of need of wiimote or a Wii controller.
#7 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7105 posts) -

[QUOTE="YearoftheSnake5"]

Lach0121

Yes, without ever owning a Wii prior, you can get a Wii U and get Wii VC games in that system's Wii mode.

Wii mode is basically a copy of the original Wii OS on the Wii U. The virtual console games you purchase are only available in that mode and work as if you're playing them on Wii. Meaning, you'll need the Wii classic controller to play a lot of them.

Aside from that difference, Wii U VC games can be played directly on the gamepad, run in native 1080p, and can be accessed direclty from the Wii U dashboard. In contrast, Wii VC games must be accessed through Wii mode, are upscaled to 1080, and do not support the Gamepad.

The Wii U virtual console is more convenient to access and use, as it doesn't require any additional peripherals. For the time being, the Wii virtual console has more to offer, but there are extra hoops to jump through. When a game is ported over to the Wii U VC, you can upgrade already purchased Wii VC games at a discount. For example, I already had Super Mario World on my Wii VC, and I was able to upgrade for $1.50 instead of paying another $8.

I think I touched on everything in your post. Let me know if I missed/misinterpreted anything.

#8 Posted by Lach0121 (9775 posts) -

Oh wow, thanks for all the info guys.

That clears up a lot actually.

So the VC games on the WiiU VC run natively in 1080p, and work with the gamepad (tablet). I Think that is more than enough of reason to wait for most of the games. They should look much better on a 1080p screen then, can't wait to see Super Mario 64 like that!

Since we didn't get a Wii there are several Wii games we are looking forward to, so getting another Wii Motion + Controller, or the classic controller wouldn't be much of an issue either.

#9 Posted by KBFloYd (12970 posts) -

I don't understand why Nintendo's been so slow to bring VC games to the Wii U.  What is the logic in not having the entire catalogue of Wii VC titles also available for Wii U?  Also, I really think they need to step up their sales with VC titles.  When I can get games from 2012 for dirt cheap on PSN, it's kinda hard to justify spending $5 on a NES game that's older than I am.

zombieeric

i think its to maximize sales.... if they had broght it all over then who would be buying balloon fight and ice climbers?

they are trying to get as much monies as possible.

#10 Posted by calway55 (232 posts) -

They also have to connect every game to it's own Miiverse thread..which I'm sure adds time to the whole process.

#11 Posted by Randolph (10437 posts) -
I think it's kind of sad and pathetic that Nintendo still doesn't get how to run a digital storefront.
#12 Posted by Randolph (10437 posts) -

zombieeric
No kidding. I downloaded Batman: Arkham Asylum for five dollars last week, makes that $5 asking price for NES games look completely absurd, they really need to redo the pricing schemes, especially considering that almost every device we have in this day and age can be turned, in less than a few minutes, into a functioning NES with two hundred plus games. Despite the mind blowing ease and the fact that it's free of charge, Nintendo still has a legion of fans who line up and patiently wait for the ability to play these games again legitimately, and they seem to just not be able to meet those people half way at all.
#13 Posted by PS4TrumpsXbox1 (1070 posts) -
Putting Earthbound on vc later this year is a good start in the right direction, now I just wanna see secret of evermore to get on there
#14 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
Support for the Wii VC dropped(except for SNK, the kept releasing stuff but 1st party Nintendo games were still missing) long before the Wii U was released so I expect it might not get much on the U.
#15 Posted by AtelierFan (1544 posts) -
I'm still rockin' the Wii (not the U), so the lack of games on the VC isn't an issue for me. Buuuut, like everyone else, there were a lot of games I was hoping to see on the VC that never materialized. And I was sad to see the Irem games vanish.

That being said, while I generally don't mind the prices on the VC, I am somewhat baffled that Nintendo hasn't had ONE sale - at all - since day one.

Even Square-Enix has had about three (no joke) sales on their rather upper-tier-priced App store games.

At the end of the day my attitude is still kind of a 'what ever... it is what it is'.

#16 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
Instead of releasing 1 game a week, they should release 3 or more games a week. Their VC is rather small..
#17 Posted by Heirren (16312 posts) -
How difficult can it be to get a steady release? Not just NES and snes, but all the stuff that was on Wii, as well. Hopefully n64 titles are up-rezd. The VC could potentially be the greatest ever. They have the best back catalog in the history of videogames yet they release them at a snail pace. Not only that, but two player titles, especially given the slow release, should be online capable and games should have save-states. Lastly, there NEEDS to be unified accounts. I bought Mario 2 for wiiu. I logged into the 3ds eshop. I should NOT have to pay for the license again, especially considering its from the same vendor.
#18 Posted by zeroyaoi (1882 posts) -
Instead of releasing 1 game a week, they should release 3 or more games a week. Their VC is rather small..BigBen11111
Which is surprising considering how many great games the NES,SNES,N64, and GC had. Pretty much the same thing happening to the 3ds vc.
#19 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -
Instead of releasing 1 game a week, they should release 3 or more games a week. Their VC is rather small..BigBen11111
Exactly.
#20 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -
EarthBound has spruced up the Wii U VC a bit, but more RPGs from the NES and SNES days would be nice. Breath of Fire 1 never got released on Wii VC, which was unfortunate. Maybe they'll release it for Wii U eventually. And as a Harvest Moon fan... Natsume please release Harvest Moon 64 on Virtual Console!
#21 Posted by AlmightyDerek (4144 posts) -

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this stuff yet but the Wii U VC also has save states, remappable controls and of course Miiverse.  Also if you buy a game on the Wii VC you can upgrade it to the Wii U when available for about a $1.

#22 Posted by Heirren (16312 posts) -

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this stuff yet but the Wii U VC also has save states, remappable controls and of course Miiverse.  Also if you buy a game on the Wii VC you can upgrade it to the Wii U when available for about a $1.

AlmightyDerek
There are save states? Where? To my knowledge you close the game and it allows one save, no?
#23 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -
^Tap the gamepad's touch screen while playing and you're taken to a menu where you can choose to save or load a "restore point". It is a great feature.
#24 Posted by Solaryellow (456 posts) -
The virtual console is still in the infancy stage and any worrying is premature IMO.
#25 Posted by Randolph (10437 posts) -
The virtual console is still in the infancy stage and any worrying is premature IMO. Solaryellow
It's been around since 2006.
#26 Posted by AtelierFan (1544 posts) -
[QUOTE="Solaryellow"]The virtual console is still in the infancy stage and any worrying is premature IMO. Randolph
It's been around since 2006.

True, but the WiiU VC is still new. I mean, doesn't Nintendo have to add WiiU support to existing Wii VC games in order to add the gamepad-screen functionality, HD output and whatever else?

Also, they have to convince 3rd parties to put thieir 'indie' games on to fill the void that we on this post are worried about.

Finally, don't publishers have to rent the server space to have a presence on the VC? So if the original VC is still going and the WiiU is suffering from 'if there is a demand for it'-itus, I'm guessing it might be a bit before everything on the original VC makes its way to WiiU.

#27 Posted by Solaryellow (456 posts) -
[QUOTE="Randolph"] It's been around since 2006.

This discussion seems to be focusing on the virtual console for the Wii U though and that's only been available for a very short period of time. From a business stand point you don't give the consumer everything they want all at once. You entice them so they keep coming back.
#28 Posted by Djmaster214 (3236 posts) -
[QUOTE="zombieeric"]

Randolph
No kidding. I downloaded Batman: Arkham Asylum for five dollars last week, makes that $5 asking price for NES games look completely absurd, they really need to redo the pricing schemes, especially considering that almost every device we have in this day and age can be turned, in less than a few minutes, into a functioning NES with two hundred plus games. Despite the mind blowing ease and the fact that it's free of charge, Nintendo still has a legion of fans who line up and patiently wait for the ability to play these games again legitimately, and they seem to just not be able to meet those people half way at all.

best post i have seen in years
#29 Posted by Josh5890 (1012 posts) -

NoA has dropped the ball with the VC pretty much a few years after Wii came out. Alot of it is 3rd party stuff but they have held off as well. At least Earthbound is a step in the right direction.

#30 Posted by hyperjj3000 (973 posts) -
It's the price's they charge that upset me.
#31 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -
^Yeah I'm willing to pay 8 bucks for some SNES games, but not all of them. Then again that just may come down to personal taste. When the Wii VC prices were announced the first time I thought they were high, but now paying 8 bucks for games like Final Fantasy VI or Super Mario World doesn't seem unfair.
#32 Posted by Randolph (10437 posts) -
From a business stand point you don't give the consumer everything they want all at once. You entice them so they keep coming back.Solaryellow
They are not enticing me to keep coming back.
#33 Posted by dino77c (91 posts) -

I think the VC is somewhere nintendo could really excel considering the nostalgia factor and great past games.  Hopefully they keep the prices reasonable though.  Like some have said it is early, takes time to build it up

#34 Posted by Solaryellow (456 posts) -
[QUOTE="Randolph"] They are not enticing me to keep coming back.

The thirty cent promotion they have going on should work a little. Other than than I haven't downloaded anything from the V.C. on the Wii U. Get some GBA games on there and business might pick up.
#35 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -
^Yeah I've got all the 30 cent games so far, except Donkey Kong which I will buy soon. I haven't played Super Metroid yet.