Just played A Link to the Past for the first time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by AVIS93 (296 posts) -

I recently began playing all of the Legend of Zelda games that I've missed through the years, including The Wind Waker and a few others, and I just finished playing A Link to the Past, regarded by many fans as the best Zelda game ever. However, I didn't find the game as wonderful, addictive and compelling as many other entries in the series.

Allow me to explain myself, I loved the game and I recognize it as a masterpiece in game design, bringing a lot of standards and innovations to the franchise, but I feel that almost any Zelda game since has improved upon the big steps of this entry in the series. I enjoyed the game a lot, but it didn't capture me nearly as much as The Wind Waker did, which I just finished playing last week.

I didn't wake up in the middle of the night to keep playing A Link to the Past, but I did with The Wind Waker. I didn't got excited during the final sequences with A Link to the Past, but I did with The Wind Waker. A Link to the Past got me frustrated several times, I found the game to be very unbalanced in terms of difficulty and quest design, having sudden spikes of difficulty here and there and giving almost no clue at all in some crucial areas of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but I feel it is far from being one of the best games in the franchise. Perhaps it is a landmark in the Zelda series, that I do agree with, setting the bar high for the next iterations in the series, but I feel that time hasn't been very kind to this game.

Do you agree? Or am I just being stupid?

#2 Edited by pandora_wizard (56 posts) -

Most of us played the game when it was first released in the 90s, so the impact was differenr unlike someone who've recently discovered the game. Back then we jumped from the 8 bit era to the 16 bit area, it was magic decade, actually every games felt grandiose back then (Super Mario World, Actraiser, Castlevania IV, Super Ghoul'n Ghosts, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc).

That being said, it wasn't until Twilight Princess that A Link to the Past lost its #1 rank with me.

#3 Edited by AVIS93 (296 posts) -

I thought of the same thing that you mention, perhaps this game didn't cause a strong impact on me due to its release date, even though I just experienced Super Metroid three or four years ago and it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. I think that time has been nicer to Super Metroid than to A Link to the Past, and I completely understand the brilliance of that game and the innovations it brought to the franchise back in 1991, but the game just wasn't as compelling to me as other entries in the amazing Zelda series.

By the way, I'm glad to see some love shown to Twilight Princess, it is one of the most solid Zelda games ever in spite of the criticism held towards it (perhaps due to its unprecedented hype?), and it is my second favorite Zelda title ever.

#4 Posted by Jaysonguy (37498 posts) -

I just recently played it for the first time (like 3 years?) and yes you're crazy.

Link to the Past is the best Zelda game ever made

WindWaker and Skyward Sword has it beat when it comes to looks but everything else hasn't been done better in the franchise.

It's a perfect mix of pacing. You have some spots you can run through while others you need to take your time. There's never a feeling of being bogged down, instead you're always working through the game to your goal. The difficulty spikes most people bring up are a change in pace. They're more of a "regroup" point where you reassess and then keep going.

A Link to the Past never gives you artificial barriers, there's never a point where the game is making you reach the goal slower because of padding.

#5 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

A lot of people overblow its quality because they played it when they were kids. It's a great game, one of the series best, but a few of the future games in the series were better.

#6 Posted by Zassimick (6224 posts) -

I just beat it for the first time as well about a week ago. A Link to the Past is an excellent game and it had done a few things I wish the current titles continued with. I'd also argue it was the most difficult Zelda title, for better or worse.

All of that being said, it isn't my favorite Zelda title and I'm guessing it's because I didn't experience it back when it first released. A great game though.

And I'll say that Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda, and A Link Between Worlds is great so far.

#7 Posted by Jaysonguy (37498 posts) -

Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda

You just lost rights to add to the conversation

#8 Edited by Zassimick (6224 posts) -

@Zassimick said:
Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda

You just lost rights to add to the conversation

I remember waiting for the game to release, such a long wait for that and Final Fantasy XII. And honestly I've never been as hyped for a game as I was for Twilight Princess, and I remember people telling me that the game wouldn't live up to the hype which started making me a little nervous. But when I played the game I found it to be incredible, wonderfully epic and a ton of fun. So it met the hype and sits with me as being my favorite installment in the franchise.

#9 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

For me, the game is pretty great. It was my first Zelda game. People might call me a heretic, but I like Link's Awakening much more. :O

#11 Posted by AVIS93 (296 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: I definitely agree with the pace of the game, A Link to the Past has near perfect pacing and perhaps this is one of the game's strongest areas. On the other hand, it is the only Zelda game that has frustrated me, and not even the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time or the whole Majora's Mask quest did that, there were one or two points in the game where I no longer enjoyed it but got frustrated. Keeping that aside, I'd reiterate the fact that the game is indeed a masterpiece and it's far from a bad experience, but other games in the series have done a lot more for me. I would like to know, as well, what are your criticisms towards Twilight Princess, since I loved every bit of that game but I've seen many people disliking it.

#12 Posted by AVIS93 (296 posts) -

@good_sk8er7: I haven't played that game, but I plan in doing so soon. Do you really recommend it that much?

@Zassimick: Twilight Princess had an astonishing level of hype before its release, I think this is the reason for the hate it received by many fans, since it is impossible to meet everyone's expectations.

@turtlethetaffer: Agree.

#13 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -

That's the only Zelda title that I've played through more than 5 times. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 90s and had more time on my hands.

#14 Edited by gamefan67 (9844 posts) -

A Link to the Past is boss. '

Not my number one but it hovers around the 2 and 3 spot with OoT (WindWaker is also my number one).

#15 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

@AVIS93 said:

@good_sk8er7: I haven't played that game, but I plan in doing so soon. Do you really recommend it that much?

@Zassimick: Twilight Princess had an astonishing level of hype before its release, I think this is the reason for the hate it received by many fans, since it is impossible to meet everyone's expectations.

@turtlethetaffer: Agree.

It's actually probably my favorite Zelda game. But if you play it you should try to get the Dx version from GBC

#16 Posted by AVIS93 (296 posts) -

@good_sk8er7: I should get that version on the 3DS eShop then. Thanks!

#17 Posted by FFCYAN (4923 posts) -

@AVIS93 said:

Do you agree? Or am I just being stupid?

ALttP is definitely more challenging than Zelda titles like WW, which offer little in fear of losing a life. Even back when the game was released, ALttP wasn't THAT hard to complete. I love level designs where it's up to the player to actually figure out where to go based on gaming instinct, rather than NPCs telling you where you should go. I love both Wind Waker and A Link to the Past, but as a whole, A Link to the Past is literally one of the greatest video games ever created period.

#18 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

@AVIS93: Well, it's a game you had to play at the time it was released on Super Nintendo. Compared to other Super Nintendo games at the time, it was a really big release. Obviously you wouldn't think much of its graphics and music today, but at the time it was the best.

It's still my favorite Zelda entry in the series.

#19 Edited by ristactionjakso (5664 posts) -

I have it, and am not as compelled by it either.

The main reason being is that you can just have all the equipment at the start of the game. I loved playing through OoT and each time I couldn't wait to get the bow/hookshot/lens of truth ect. all because once you get new equipment, you can go find new and more secrets. And I like 3D Zelda games a lot better.

EDIT: O this is about LttP, not between worlds lol. My bad. Link to the Past > Link Between Worlds.

#20 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@good_sk8er7: Link's Awakening is boss. It's my fav 2D Zelda, followed by Oracle of Ages.

#21 Posted by madsnakehhh (14046 posts) -

Nop, you are not crazy, the first time i played A Link to the Past i loved it, the game was so different from anything i've ever played at the time, sadly at that age, i wasn't that good at english...even worst i wasn't good at Zelda games, so i came to this point where i just didn't know what else to do and then i hated the game because it didn't told me where should i go next.

After i beat Ocarina of Time and it became my favorite game of all time i went back to A Link to the Past and finally i was able to beat it, great game and no doubt an all time classic...but right now i just see it as a great game and not one of the SNES finest, let alone the best Zelda game.

#22 Edited by juboner (353 posts) -

wow I guess a lot of people like being told exactly where to go and what to do next. Zelda is adventure game and finding things out on your own is the way it should be. LttP is great but not the best imo, I like links awakening a lot more. If you think LttP is hard or is frustrating that is just your problem.

If anyone has not played links awakening and they liked LttP you need to play it, preferably gameboy color version.

#23 Posted by Grieverr (2586 posts) -
@AVIS93 said:

Allow me to explain myself, I loved the game and I recognize it as a masterpiece in game design, bringing a lot of standards and innovations to the franchise.

...but I feel that almost any Zelda game since has improved upon the big steps of this entry in the series.

Well, the quoted sentences should make you understand more. Experiencing the game when it was launched, it was a masterpiece and brought new innovations that would become the series' standard.

And since none of the following Zeldas were out, LTTP was the pinnacle of the series at the time.

#24 Posted by AVIS93 (296 posts) -

@FFCYAN: Agree, I didn't die a single time through The Wind Waker's quest. I as well dislike the excessive hand-holding offered in occasions by NPCs, particularly in Skyward Sword. A Link to the Past isn't that hard overall, as you say, but it is definitely harder than the more recent entries, and it had two or three points during the main quest where I was a bit frustrated.

#25 Edited by AVIS93 (296 posts) -

@ristactionjakso: I loved that feature from A Link Between Worlds, to get the items in any order and having the freedom to tackle the dungeons in any order you want, it added a lot of sense of exploration for me. I'm still not sure if I would like the series to continue this in the next installments, but I definitely enjoyed it in this game.