Just got a 3DS, have a few questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Essian (3435 posts) -

1) First of all, I got Paper Mario Sticker Star as one of my games. I have a limited time to return it, but realistically, I have tomorrow to decide to return it for full retail value. I'm going on vacation starting Thursday, and I won't have time to return it once I leave. The game looks okay, with one minor caveat: apparently, it's very easy to get stuck trying to figure out how to get further in the game, leading to a constant sense of frustration. Do you guys feel this was the norm? I just want to know if this game is worth keeping/playing or not

2) Second, I wanted to know about Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. Resource management and SimCity kind of games appeal to me, but here is my question about HM: what is the point of planting and harvesting crops? Are you just maintaining the farm for the hell of it, are you trying to get upgrades for your farm and surrounding town (the goal being to trick it out as much as possible), what? The game looks like a really intriguing time sink (kind of like Farmville, except not terrible), but I want to make sure it's worth the money and effort.

3) I got the Mario Kart 7 3DS bundle, and I wondering, did MK7 take up the whole SD card that was included (or is that SD card locked so it can't have further games installed?) I want to get Pushmo, Crashmo, and maybe a few other games off the eShop, but the I haven't been able to do so yet.

4) I got the 3DS XL. Does Pokemon B/W2 scale well to fit the screen, or does it look terrible?

5) Lastly, which game would you guys say has the greatest replayability on the system? I am a sucker for games that I can go back to over and over to do things in different ways or approach creatively. So what game would you guys say has that in spades?

Thanks! Been playing NSMB2 and Mario Kart 7 and I am having a complete blast!

#2 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

2. I have never played it but I could not pry it out of my wife's 3DSXL if my life depended on it. She said that the purpose of the game is to rebuild a forsaken town. Harvesting crops and raising animals allows you to access new buildings and the like for the town. It is MUCH more involved than a game like Animal Crossing.

4. I think it looks like garbage but I tend to be in the minority opinion on this one.

Games that have high replay value in my opinion are Kid Icarus: Uprising and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (if you like rhythm games).

#3 Posted by spike6958 (4756 posts) -

1. I just finished Sticker Star, and I LOVED it. It's knocked the original PM down to 3rd and taken 2nd place in my listing for the Paper Mario games (PM:TTYD is still number 1 though), such a fun game, and I never got stuck and don't know why possibly having something challenge you in a game would instantly make you not want to play it. It's a great game and an excellent addition to the series after the abomination that was Super Paper Mario.

2. I've not played this particular Harvest Moon, but in general, you usually grow crops and raise Animals to earn money so you can upgrade you Farm and buy better tools, while also attempting to get married and become friends with the townsfolk, and with many you also will have additional "quests" to help people out as well as a story for why you originally move to the village, that'll you'll slowly learn more about over the game.

3. Can't help with that i'm afraid, I've only bough digital only games though the eShop, all retail game I've bough the carts for as I share games with my Mrs.

4. Can't help with this one either, I have the standard 3DS, not the XL, so I don't know.

5. I'd recommend:

• Theatrythem: Final Fantasy - A great rhythem game based on the Final Fantasy series, it dosn't punish you if you've never played a Final Fantasy game before, and is easy to just jump in and play, but can also get very challanging, and has a lot of replay value for anyone who wants to attempt to 100% it.
  • Super Mario 3D Land - A great first attempt at a 3D Mario game on the 3DS, the main worlds can be a little easy, but there's plenty of challange if you want to do the secret worlds too, and each level has 3 star coins for you to collect too.
  • Tales of the Abyss - Best RPG on the 3DS, you might not get a lot of replay value from it after beating it the first time, but it's a long game that should take anywhere between 40 to 60 hours to complete depending on how good of an JRPG player you are, and if you want to do everything the game has or just blast though the story.
  • Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - A great puzzle game, not a whole lot of replay value here, but if you appreceate good storys, and puzzle games where you can be stuck on a single puzzle for a while then this is a great game to pick up.
  • Ocarina of Time 3D - It's a pretty decent remake of the original, and addresses a number of issues with the original, it also has Master Quest which unlocks after beating the original version, as well as a boss gauntlet, both of which add a decent ammount of replay value.
#4 Posted by Essian (3435 posts) -
Spike, the way it was described in the IGN review, you would need a single specific sticker to proceed, but would be given no indication as to where that sticker would be hiding, so you may need to slog back through previous boards to try and find it, which doesn't sound like a fun challenge to me. That is what put me off.
#5 Posted by gettingpatches (210 posts) -

1) First of all, I got Paper Mario Sticker Star as one of my games. I have a limited time to return it, but realistically, I have tomorrow to decide to return it for full retail value. I'm going on vacation starting Thursday, and I won't have time to return it once I leave. The game looks okay, with one minor caveat: apparently, it's very easy to get stuck trying to figure out how to get further in the game, leading to a constant sense of frustration. Do you guys feel this was the norm? I just want to know if this game is worth keeping/playing or not

2) Second, I wanted to know about Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. Resource management and SimCity kind of games appeal to me, but here is my question about HM: what is the point of planting and harvesting crops? Are you just maintaining the farm for the hell of it, are you trying to get upgrades for your farm and surrounding town (the goal being to trick it out as much as possible), what? The game looks like a really intriguing time sink (kind of like Farmville, except not terrible), but I want to make sure it's worth the money and effort.

3) I got the Mario Kart 7 3DS bundle, and I wondering, did MK7 take up the whole SD card that was included (or is that SD card locked so it can't have further games installed?) I want to get Pushmo, Crashmo, and maybe a few other games off the eShop, but the I haven't been able to do so yet.

4) I got the 3DS XL. Does Pokemon B/W2 scale well to fit the screen, or does it look terrible?

5) Lastly, which game would you guys say has the greatest replayability on the system? I am a sucker for games that I can go back to over and over to do things in different ways or approach creatively. So what game would you guys say has that in spades?

Thanks! Been playing NSMB2 and Mario Kart 7 and I am having a complete blast!

Essian

Ok I've been playing sticker star which I also got for christmas and heres my initial opinions on it.

good
-Writing/dialogue is still quite funny and uses the paper theme well.

-Graphics are great and play to the paper theme really well with good 3D.

-sound is also pretty damn good, the battle music is really catchy.

-So far I've enjoyed the environment design quite a lot as well, with well though out secrets.

-Combat has been intuative and quite enjoyable.

-The levels are broken down well keeping a portable feel replacing length with quantity (an assumption in part as I haven't played that far through the game)

-Thus far puzzles have also been fairly intuative barring possibly one which may or not be the kinda puzzle that sort of solves itself

Bad

-No real standout characters outside of bowsers minions (the mini bosses and bosses have so far been been pretty good) and Kersti (seriously this games obssession with toads was a bad idea as it makes character identification almost impossible outside of location)

-Story looks to be lacklustre mostly can be boiled down to bowser kidnapping the princess by the looks of things

-Combat doesn't feel like it has much of a point and can be frustrating if you're running low on a particular type of sticker

-despite having an open world map you have less choice about what levels you can play at a time (porbbaly more of a personal irritation than a problem though)

-Isn't that challeneging (depends if thats a problem for you or not though, again I've only played about the first 3 hours)

Just my current opinions on it, I've enjoyed it so far. The reason why lack of partners wasn't a problem as I still haven't got hold of thousand year door, so bear in mind I haven't judged it from the same perspective you will and my only prior game in the series was Super paper mario. Hope this helps!