Just beat it Wonderful 101!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

And I have to say it was pretty wonderful (haha)! At first I didn't really know what to think of it, but as I grasped the gameplay it just continued to become much more fun! The story was surprisingly good! And the combat system is something that took a while to understand fully, and now I able to roll with and experiment with tactics and have a blast!

Has anyone on here played it? Any other thoughts, I think its one of my favorite games on the Wii U that i have played so far!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It's rough, and the dialog outstays its welcome a lot (in general the game drags on), but it oozes cool. Once you get used to everything and get over the roughness, it's good.

The game has so many "WOW" moments doesn't it?

I just started a second playthrough, i beat it a couple months ago. I'm ready for bayo 2!

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bardock47

The dialogue does drag on at times, but really I felt that alot of the back story and plot reveals were interesting, and I didn't mind at all. The things that annoyed me was most everything with Luka, and almost anything with Green. Green got very annoying by the end, just constantly either annoying blue, pink, or yelling MAMMAN!

I felt like the other characters were very interesting, and wish we had more time for Yellow, White, Black, and more for Pinks back story. The only briefly mention her back story and I thought seeing different side of Pink would make her deeper. Not to mention we get almost nothing on the other three.

The game has so many wow! moments! It just keeps getting better!

I am playing through again, and just having a blast. Honestly the only part I haven't liked going through again was the boss in the first mission. The turret section was so slow and and just a lot of WTF?! Then the actual fight was just not fun compared to any of the later ones,it was so simple and slow! And waiting for chances to counter attack took a while. Though it is fun to learn new tactics. I love using the whip on dazed opponents, I don't know how I didn't realize that its so good.

I honestly think the last game I wanted to just jump right back into was Bioshock: Infinite. This is a game I can see myslef sticking with for a while and still learn new tactics.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

How have you been replaying it? I went back to get better medals on Normal, then graduated to Hard once I did as well as I could on Normal.

Honestly, if other games hadn't come out that I wanted to play, I probably would've spent even more time with it. There's so much to do, and the gameplay is so fun once you're good at it that it never seems to get old, especially when the difficulty keeps ramping up on Hard mode.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bardock47

I went straight into hard mode to try it out. Idk if I want to just go straight through, or bounce in between both (normal and hard) improving my score.

And I don't know if i was doing the boss section wrong, but I felt that the turret section was kinda flawed and just boring. I might have needed more practice at the fight with the heads, because I felt like I was just waiting to counter attack the entire time and that took a while. Then the end was a bit simple with just tossing the explosives:P

But anyway, i really want to move on to Wind Waker, Rayman, and some other VC games but I really don't want to quit W101:P So I know how that feels!

Also, how do you guys deal with the metal turtles? I time bomb and hammer till the shell breaks. But when there are two the second gets me with his extended neck attack, is the only way to avoid it is dodge, or can I counter it with something? Thats like the number one enemy that still gives me some issues.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

I have had it since launch, Still haven't finished it. I like the story, humor, and how it reminds me of a 1990's cartoon with the cutscenes but when I'm playing...I absolutely HATE the game. It would have been far better to have it be an Anime then a game.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I got a little lost trying the demo. Maybe I was just bored. I could try it again, I guess.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bardock47

I would give it another go, it really does grow on you!

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The gameplay was a little rough around the edges, but fun. I loved the story and characters.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JordanElek

@SpiderLuke said:

I got a little lost trying the demo. Maybe I was just bored. I could try it again, I guess.

The full game is anything but boring. It's one of the most frantic and tactile games I've played.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Devil May Cry ranking style hack n slash games, but I'm having trouble figuring out this game's combat system. Either that, or enemies just take a really really long time to take out. (Is there a trick to those turtle enemies?)

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JordanElek
@Pikminmaniac said:

I'm a huge fan of the Devil May Cry ranking style hack n slash games, but I'm having trouble figuring out this game's combat system. Either that, or enemies just take a really really long time to take out. (Is there a trick to those turtle enemies?)

There is. It's been awhile, so the details are spotty, but you can flip them onto their backs pretty easily and wail on their bellies to kill them in seconds. If I remember right, you need to block-counter when it pounds one of its feet down to put it off balance, then hit it from the side until it falls onto its back, then go crazy on it.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

@JordanElek said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

There is. It's been awhile, so the details are spotty, but you can flip them onto their backs pretty easily and wail on their bellies to kill them in seconds. If I remember right, you need to block-counter when it pounds one of its feet down to put it off balance, then hit it from the side until it falls onto its back, then go crazy on it.

You mean the jelly mold counter? I tried that several times when it stomps and he just broke right through it every time. It must be tight timing or something.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@JordanElek said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

You mean the jelly mold counter? I tried that several times when it stomps and he just broke right through it every time. It must be tight timing or something.

It breaks through if its the stomp that causes fire to come from the ground, which he only does if you're far away.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#15 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@Pikminmaniac said:

@JordanElek said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

Plus, you do know that by holding the A-button you can make your weapon of choice bigger, right?

Maybe it is stupid, but it is something that took me quite a while to realize.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JordanElek

@Pierst179 said:

Plus, you do know that by holding the A-button you can make your weapon of choice bigger, right?

Maybe it is stupid, but it is something that took me quite a while to realize.

Isn't that an upgrade you need to purchase?

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

Glad to hear of another convert. Now go get other people to convert! lol...

I have such a tough time getting people to buy this game, even after doing a video review, and it makes me sad because the game deserves WAY more sales... :/

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JordanElek

@zyroxz2 said:

Glad to hear of another convert. Now go get other people to convert! lol...

I have such a tough time getting people to buy this game, even after doing a video review, and it makes me sad because the game deserves WAY more sales... :/

A lot of people seem mystified by what it's supposed to be.... It's a character action game in which you draw combos instead of button-press combos. For all the craziness going on on-screen, that's all it really is.

And frantically drawing is so much more fun than just tapping buttons with your thumb.