Is there going to be less scanning? (MP3)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Likostwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Likostwin
Member since 2004 • 163 Posts
God I hated scanning, you learn alot about the world and everything, but every time I leave a room I think "I better go back and check, I may have missed something" and I do that throughout the entire game. Less scanning, MORE SHOOTING! And just the right amount of adventuring.
MLJ28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MLJ28
Member since 2003 • 3690 Posts
I completely agree.  Scanning was the most annoying thing implemented into modern Metroid games. The classics didn't have that feature, so why do new games have it? It's stupid, IMO.
redban2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 redban2
Member since 2006 • 496 Posts
I like scanning the environment and monsters. I only hate having the storyline being told through it.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts
viewing your environment is what metroid has always been about. taking out that element, or lessening the use of that element, would be a step away from what true metroid fans want. but me not being a true metroid fan... i also want their to be less scanning, or atleast have the scanning feature be used in more action oriented situations.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
God I hated scanning, you learn alot about the world and everything, but every time I leave a room I think "I better go back and check, I may have missed something" and I do that throughout the entire game. Less scanning, MORE SHOOTING! And just the right amount of adventuring.Likostwin
Why would they take out scanning in MP3? If it was in the first two games why wouldn't it be in the second game? If you don't like the scanning then don't pick up the game plain and simple.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
Play a FPS if you want tons of shooting then.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Scanning was a great feature in MP1 (unfortunately, there wasn't so many interest things to scan in MP2), how you could get info on enemies, and discover the plot little by little. There will definetely be scanning in MP3. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but it just adds too much to the immersion of the game to be taken off. Metroid never was to be a fast paced game from start to end.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Play a FPS if you want tons of shooting then.Saruman1719
urrrrm if metroid isn't an fps what is it.....anyway i only had mp1 and i hated it, going in a room and having to check every inch for stupid little things...it's a shooter not a detective game..
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wintry_Flutist

I completely agree.  Scanning was the most annoying thing implemented into modern Metroid games. The classics didn't have that feature, so why do new games have it? It's stupid, IMO.MLJ28

By your logic, Ocarina of Time should not have lock on because the previous Zelda didn't feature it...

Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
Metroid Prime 3 is not a FPS. Its an adventure game. Its all about problem solving.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
i don't like too much scanning either....
MLJ28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MLJ28

[QUOTE="MLJ28"]I completely agree.  Scanning was the most annoying thing implemented into modern Metroid games. The classics didn't have that feature, so why do new games have it? It's stupid, IMO.Wintry_Flutist

By your logic, Ocarina of Time should not have lock on because the previous Zelda didn't feature it...

That wasn't a very good analogy.  It might have worked if I had said, "Metroid Prime's lock-on feature or morphball was stupid (which I didn't)."  Zelda OoT's lock-on feature is a game play requirement due to the limitations of controlling a game in 3D space.  Retro implemented scanning only as a way to make the game easier (scan boss or enemy and instantly know their weaknesses), interject unnecessary (IMO) story elements, and to pad out the game's length.  Now don't get me wrong, I loved Metroid Prime 1 & 2, but I hated having to scan a twenty items, enemies, and computers per room just to get to the actual fun parts of the game,  Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, and the GBA Metroid games all do not require scanning, and they're is still some of the best games ever made. Scanning is simply boring and unnecessary. Also, there are much better ways of telling a story than by scanning a thousand computer logs.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="MLJ28"]I completely agree.  Scanning was the most annoying thing implemented into modern Metroid games. The classics didn't have that feature, so why do new games have it? It's stupid, IMO.MLJ28

That wasn't a very good analogy.  It might have worked if I had said, "Metroid Prime's lock-on feature or morphball was stupid (which I didn't)."  Zelda OoT's lock-on feature is a game play requirement due to the limitations of controlling a game in 3D space.  Retro implemented scanning only as a way to make the game easier (scan boss or enemy and instantly know their weaknesses), interject unnecessary (IMO) story elements, and to pad out the game's length.  Now don't get me wrong, I loved Metroid Prime 1 & 2, but I hated having to scan a twenty items, enemies, and computers per room just to get to the actual fun parts of the game,  Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, and the GBA Metroid games all do not require scanning, and they're is still some of the best games ever made. Scanning is simply boring and unnecessary. Also, there are much better ways of telling a story than by scanning a thousand computer logs.

You know what, I fully disagree. :D

It added a lot more immersion and engagement. I'm sorry if you didn't like it, but that's how it is, and for a lot of people, including the developers, that's the way it has to be.

MLJ28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MLJ28
[QUOTE="MLJ28"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="MLJ28"]I completely agree.  Scanning was the most annoying thing implemented into modern Metroid games. The classics didn't have that feature, so why do new games have it? It's stupid, IMO.Wintry_Flutist

It added a lot more immersion and engagement. I'm sorry if you didn't like it, but that's how it is, and for a lot of people, including the developers, that's the way it has to be.

To each their own, I guess.  I'm an old classic arcade gamer that's set in his ways.  I actually hate the entire concept of "immersive gaming."  2D will always be superior than 3D to me.  I prefer a game to feel like a game; give me high scores, no stories, and pure, fast-paced action please.  I love that kind of gaming! That's probably why I play Wii Sports, Excite Truck, and Virtual Console more than Zelda TP or any of those Final Fantasy-ish games.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="MLJ28"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="MLJ28"]I completely agree.  Scanning was the most annoying thing implemented into modern Metroid games. The classics didn't have that feature, so why do new games have it? It's stupid, IMO.MLJ28

To each their own, I guess.  I'm an old classic arcade gamer that's set in his ways.  I actually hate the entire concept of "immersive gaming."  2D will always be superior than 3D to me.  I prefer a game to feel like a game; give me high scores, no stories, and pure, fast-paced action please.  I love that kind of gaming! That's probably why I play Wii Sports, Excite Truck, and Virtual Console more than Zelda TP or any of those Final Fantasy-ish games.

As you said, to each their own. But you simply can't be against immersion of any kind, and deny the importance of such games. I think scanning is a very natural and realistic mechanic in the Prime games. You may disagree, but it doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do with Metroid.