Is the time ripe for a Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -

I've been on the fence about buying Nintendo's latest home console, but I'm beginning to think (with all those games announced) that this Christmas season is a good time to get one. What do you think?

Also, if I buy a new Wii U, will the latest updates already be on it, and could I update it via USB like the PlayStation 3?

#2 Posted by Lach0121 (9894 posts) -

This holiday season is the time we will get one ourselves.  We also never got a wii, so its basically like we are buying a dual-generation console.  (since the WiiU is fully BC with the Wii)

The main reason we are holding off till then is because of the inevitable price drop, when the new consoles hit. As well as the Virtual Console for the WiiU to get a bit more games on it. (especially from the N-64 era)

When those 2 requirements are met, then we will definitely be getting one. (the 32gb version)

So you are  not alone in your thoughts of this holiday season being the right time to invest in one. 

Especially with all the new games announced for the WiiU as well. Even multiplatform games, like I've yet to play the new Deus Ex. (even though I have a more than capable pc) So might as well wait for it on WiiU and play with the tablet (since I hear it will be utilized for the game)

We plan to get a Ps4 in the future too, (mainly right before MGS5 launches) so all the heavy graphical multiplats we will prolly get on it. 

#3 Posted by Lach0121 (9894 posts) -

Also as far as updates, its the same with every piece of electronics.

If the system (particular one you bought) was manufatured on a date after the latest updates, then yes, you should have the latest updates.

IF the system was manufactured before the dates of the latest updates, chances are it will not have them.

You should be able to update through the online aspect.  

#4 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4714 posts) -

Yea this holiday will see sales pick up a bit and we should get a few surprising 3rd party ports next year. There are a lot of first party games coming out so software will be getting much better. Plus I could see a 32GB system for $250 on black friday regardless of what the price is normally

#5 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -
I'm planning on perhaps there being a black friday sale on the Wii U, and snapping one up.
#6 Posted by KBFloYd (14064 posts) -

id say august....starting with pikmin3... you will get great games every month after that.

#7 Posted by da_chub (3063 posts) -
it is a great system, with great games. It is a nintendo. not a next gen consle watered down pc like everyone wants.
#8 Posted by Lach0121 (9894 posts) -

it is a great system, with great games. It is a nintendo. not a next gen consle watered down pc like everyone wants.da_chub

I understand this point. 

Its a dual generation Nintendo console for myself. Wii + WiiU.   Thats what I mean't by that comment above, cause we have never owned a Wii here.

I will only get third party (multiplat) titles on it, if they support the tablet controller.  Like Deus Ex

But I mainly get it for the VC, and the Nintendo titles.

Mario

Zelda

Donkey Kong

Metroid

Star Fox

The new Sonic    ect ect.

I don't look for it to 'compete' with my pc, or ps4.  I expect it to accent those platforms, and cover areas' that those do not.  

#9 Posted by MrDziekuje (7730 posts) -

After Pikmin hits in August it's going to be a pretty steady stream of big titles for Wii U. This realy needed to come earlier, but better late than never I guess.

#10 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7672 posts) -

Yes, get one in August.

#11 Posted by Abagnam (122 posts) -
i think this is the moment. I bought mine two weeks ago...
#12 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

After seeing what Nintendo has in store for their console, I'd say getting one this holiday season is a good idea :). I posted a similar thread on this a while back, and everyone suggested waiting until after E3. Well E3 is over, and you know what? Nintendo has a pretty good lineup of games :). Plus the Wii U seems like an awesome console to dish out when people come over and you wanna play local games :)

#13 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
I'm planning on perhaps there being a black friday sale on the Wii U, and snapping one up.ShadowofSonic
That's what I'd recommend if you plan on getting one this year. Otherwise, I don't see the point of getting a Wii U until next year. That's when the system's real heavy-hitters will be landing.
#14 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -
It would be a smart thing for Nintendo to release Wii Sports 2.
#15 Posted by KBFloYd (14064 posts) -

It would be a smart thing for Nintendo to release Wii Sports 2.4myAmuzumament

yea...that should have been the pack in game..not nintendo land imo

hopefully its announced next year.

#16 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -
Thanks for all the advice. :D
#17 Posted by wildemu (48 posts) -

No, it's not. The console needs a serious price drop when you compare the specs of it to a 400 dollar ps4. It should be in the 200-250 dollar range at least for it to be ripe. 

#18 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

It's a great time to get one! A few of the games coming out soon - Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D Land, and Donkey Kong - are bound to be some of the highlights of the system's library even when the generation is done.

#19 Posted by Bubble_Man (3095 posts) -

The E3 Nintendo Direct encouraged me to go ahead and buy a Wii U recently. My favorite game for it is Lego City Undercover (definately recommend it). You have the right idea about waiting until Christmas; the game selection will be better then.

#20 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1377 posts) -

I would say get a Wii U starting August 4th ( Pikmin 3!!!) Or any time after that. I have had mine since launch and while games have been abit...empty lol its all good. Get any of these this year, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Windwaker HD, Watch Dogs, AC4, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World. You'll be set.

As for the update as soon as you get your Wii U and connect it online it should update for you...or just go to the system settings and click system update. Why would you need a USB?

#21 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1377 posts) -

Reggie already said NO PRICE CUT FOR A FEW YEARS. Wii went 3 years without one. Wii U is already the cheapest of the 3. Nobody is getting the Xbox One anyway. One of Reggies statements was "People waiting for a price cut will be waiting quite awhile." Know since you didnt get a Wii, you didnt know about its price cut. If the Wii took 3 years to get one, and Reggie says QUITE AWHILE, the 3 year point will be the time again. Now thats not to say their could be STORES that do a price cut, and their will be a MK8 Wii U probably that saves you like $30 lol. But Iwata, Reggie and Nintendo PR's have said THERE WONT BE A PRICE CUT THIS YEAR PERIOD.

This holiday season is the time we will get one ourselves. We also never got a wii, so its basically like we are buying a dual-generation console. (since the WiiU is fully BC with the Wii)

The main reason we are holding off till then is because of the inevitable price drop, when the new consoles hit. As well as the Virtual Console for the WiiU to get a bit more games on it. (especially from the N-64 era)

When those 2 requirements are met, then we will definitely be getting one. (the 32gb version)

So you are not alone in your thoughts of this holiday season being the right time to invest in one.

Especially with all the new games announced for the WiiU as well. Even multiplatform games, like I've yet to play the new Deus Ex. (even though I have a more than capable pc) So might as well wait for it on WiiU and play with the tablet (since I hear it will be utilized for the game)

We plan to get a Ps4 in the future too, (mainly right before MGS5 launches) so all the heavy graphical multiplats we will prolly get on it.

Lach0121

#22 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1377 posts) -

"Not a next gen console." My god you people drive me bat shit crazy. Wii U WAS a Next Gen System. ONCE A SYSTEM IS OUT IT BECOMES CURRENT GEN. Just like as soon as stores open their doors on launch day of the PS4 and Xbox One THEY INSTANTLY BECOME CURRENT GEN. NEXT GEN MEANS ITS THE NEXT SYSTEM TO BE OUT.

it is a great system, with great games. It is a nintendo. not a next gen consle watered down pc like everyone wants.da_chub

#23 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
I say the time to get a Wii U is when Super Smash Bros. 4 comes out. Unless you see a game you really want.
#24 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4165 posts) -
I'd say that early next year would be the best time to buy one.
#25 Posted by Lach0121 (9894 posts) -

Reggie already said NO PRICE CUT FOR A FEW YEARS. Wii went 3 years without one. Wii U is already the cheapest of the 3. Nobody is getting the Xbox One anyway. One of Reggies statements was "People waiting for a price cut will be waiting quite awhile." Know since you didnt get a Wii, you didnt know about its price cut. If the Wii took 3 years to get one, and Reggie says QUITE AWHILE, the 3 year point will be the time again. Now thats not to say their could be STORES that do a price cut, and their will be a MK8 Wii U probably that saves you like $30 lol. But Iwata, Reggie and Nintendo PR's have said THERE WONT BE A PRICE CUT THIS YEAR PERIOD.

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

This holiday season is the time we will get one ourselves. We also never got a wii, so its basically like we are buying a dual-generation console. (since the WiiU is fully BC with the Wii)

So you are not alone in your thoughts of this holiday season being the right time to invest in one.

Master_Of_Fools

Well we will see once it comes closer to launch of the newer consoles, and Black Friday/Cyber Monday... Now won't we?

It is actually illogical that the WiiU 32gb will be the same price it is now, considering those 2 factors above.  If there is no price drop (even considering the two points I think I have made abundantly clear) it will not help Nintendo much this Holiday season. 

PR talk, and Corporate marketing, I rank right up there with political rhetoric.  We will see when the time comes.

#26 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3621 posts) -

My take on the matter has always been that if you have to think about whether or not the time is right to get a new gaming system, it's probably best to wait.

The Wii U is still a new system, so in spite of the state it finds itself in, it's probably not going anywhere anytime soon. If what the system is currently offering doesn't fully convince you in picking it up, there's no harm in waiting until the offer becomes more appealing. It doesn't matter that much about a potential price drop, upcoming games, or whatever, really. I think it's best to simply look at this from the perspective in which you're currently looking from, and for those who are still on the fence about the system, waiting it out a little while longer until something better comes along only makes sense.

It's the same thing with those who have already picked up the system, in spite of what may come. A price drop wouldn't bug me that much if I already had the system and was finding plenty of enjoyment with it. However, there would have to be something highly attractive on the plate already before I made the decision to pick up the system to begin with. I think it's just that simple. If you're not jumping out of your seat to buy a Wii U right now, why try to force yourself to buy one? Trust your instincts and hold on until something shows up that makes the idea of buying the system a no-brainer, based on your tastes. Video games aren't anything you should have to question getting in such a way. :P

#27 Posted by superbuuman (2998 posts) -

No, 2014 is the year for Wii U :P

#28 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -

I would say get a Wii U starting August 4th ( Pikmin 3!!!) Or any time after that. I have had mine since launch and while games have been abit...empty lol its all good. Get any of these this year, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Windwaker HD, Watch Dogs, AC4, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World. You'll be set.

As for the update as soon as you get your Wii U and connect it online it should update for you...or just go to the system settings and click system update. Why would you need a USB?

Master_Of_Fools
Because my consoles aren't connected to the internet.
#29 Posted by KBFloYd (14064 posts) -

I'd say that early next year would be the best time to buy one.Toxic-Seahorse

and miss out on pikmin...sonic lost world,mario 3d world?

having a backlog is not always a good thing.

#30 Posted by Raptor_Herc (251 posts) -
I would personally wait until the end of August before buying one (or at least the 2nd half of August) since Nintendo could announce a surprise price cut as they did with the 3DS towards the end of July in 2011. While they have stated that we should not count on a price drop, there is always the possibility of them having to do so should sales drop to really low levels.
#31 Posted by Moonanime010 (9 posts) -
Stop TRYING to waste your money on a Nintendo Wii U!
#32 Posted by Moonanime010 (9 posts) -
For the last time Wii U, is NOT Next Gen Console the specs are slower then Xbox 360, A 8 Year old console!!! Next time how about you RESEARCH and try to learn something dummy! Don't you dare try to insult gamers about a Console with outdated graphics.. that is consider a mockery to core gamers, get it though your close minded here Nintendo is going to fail because they're too slow and behind the times!. Nintendo Network is TRASH, compare to Xbox Live & PSN
#33 Posted by Moonanime010 (9 posts) -

"Not a next gen console." My god you people drive me bat shit crazy. Wii U WAS a Next Gen System. ONCE A SYSTEM IS OUT IT BECOMES CURRENT GEN. Just like as soon as stores open their doors on launch day of the PS4 and Xbox One THEY INSTANTLY BECOME CURRENT GEN. NEXT GEN MEANS ITS THE NEXT SYSTEM TO BE OUT.

[QUOTE="da_chub"]it is a great system, with great games. It is a nintendo. not a next gen consle watered down pc like everyone wants.Master_Of_Fools

For the last time Wii U, is NOT Next Gen Console the specs are slower then Xbox 360, A 8 Year old console!!! Next time how about you RESEARCH and try to learn something dummy! Don't you dare try to insult gamers about a Console with outdated graphics.. that is consider a mockery to core gamers, get it though your close minded here Nintendo is going to fail because they're too slow and behind the times!. Nintendo Network is TRASH, compare to Xbox Live & PSN
#34 Posted by Moonanime010 (9 posts) -

superbuuman
Yes, 2014 is so called year of Wii U the same year PS4 & Xbox One will surpass Nintendo's console in sales.
#36 Posted by trugs26 (5675 posts) -

superbuuman

Well, the four games we know about look like AAA games in my book.

Smash bros, Mario Kart, Bayonetta and X.

If they keep going this way, 2014 will certainly be a very good year for Wii U.

#37 Posted by trugs26 (5675 posts) -

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

Moonanime010

Yes, 2014 is so called year of Wii U the same year PS4 & Xbox One will surpass Nintendo's console in sales.

It looks like you're new here, but please refrain from making posts of this kind in the Wii U forum. If you feel the fanboy urge, go to System Wars. We certainly don't need 4 posts in a row with you bashing the Wii U. It's just spam to the rest of us. 

#38 Posted by ekalbtwin (1044 posts) -

[QUOTE="Moonanime010"][QUOTE="superbuuman"]

trugs26

It looks like you're new here, but please refrain from making posts of this kind in the Wii U forum. If you feel the fanboy urge, go to System Wars. We certainly don't need 4 posts in a row with you bashing the Wii U. It's just spam to the rest of us. 

Just ignore him and he will crawl back to his natural habitat.
#39 Posted by Solaryellow (494 posts) -
People need to understand the Wii U is not a Virtual Boy and as such will be around for years to come. For all we know it may turn out like a GCN or actually put up a fight and shock many people. Whatever may happen is purely dependent on Nintendo and the way it advertises the system along with releasing games. My memory escapes me and I can't recall if the 3DS was met with the same doom and gloom six or seven months after release when sales were under expectations. Once this holiday season comes into view I'll bet this system will be substantially discounted whether in the form of bundles, actual price drops/sales, etc.., It will not be able to compete with Sony and MS without incentives. Both retailers and Nintendo know this to be true and will need to act appropriately.
#40 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -
[QUOTE="Moonanime010"] Next time how about you RESEARCH and try to learn something dummy! Nintendo Network is TRASH, compare to Xbox Live & PSN

How rude.
#41 Posted by 19James89 (29 posts) -

[QUOTE="4myAmuzumament"]It would be a smart thing for Nintendo to release Wii Sports 2.KBFloYd

yea...that should have been the pack in game..not nintendo land imo

hopefully its announced next year.

Nintendo Land is good and it showcases all the great things about the tablet controller. What Nintendo should have done was have a solid launch line up, but as someone else said earlier "better late than never".
#42 Posted by 19James89 (29 posts) -
I bought my Wii U six days ago and I do not regret it whatsoever. I was on the fence about it and I took the plunge and bought one and I don't regret it. I would thoroughly recommend this console to people who are contemplating purchasing one, even without a price drop this console is worth every penny. I have pre-ordered Pikmin 3 and I cannot wait to play it. The journey of the Wii U is only just beginning.
#43 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -
The journey of the Wii U is only just beginning. 19James89
Haha, my thoughts exactly.
#44 Posted by superbuuman (2998 posts) -

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

trugs26

Well, the four games we know about look like AAA games in my book.

Smash bros, Mario Kart, Bayonetta and X.

If they keep going this way, 2014 will certainly be a very good year for Wii U.

Pretty much it...if X is as good as Xenoblade Chronicles (of course Im expecting more, bigger world to run around in) that alone is gonna keep me busy for a while. :)

#45 Posted by coylenintendo (13713 posts) -

unless the small library of games that are out now are catching your eye, I would say wait till the holidays at the very least. I doubt that there will be a price drop but at least there will be a few more games like Pikmin 3 and that new Mario game that I already forgot the name of :P because right now, the only games I have are Nintendo Land which got boring quick and New Super Mario Bros. U which is fun but not a game that I play too often. and Super Luigi U adds a little more content but not a ton.