Is Nintendo Failing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dyldozzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Is Nintendo Failing? (39 votes)

Yes 18%
No 82%

We must agree that Nintendo has made many of best games and consoles ever made, but these days I see that they have lost their touch. Take a look at the Wii U.. no good. And as for the new Super Smash Bros... WTF! is what I said.. PacMan.. Wii Fit Bitch.. what are they doing? Also that Zelda Warriors.. No words.. What do you think? Do you think they just hit a rough patch, and they are doing a good job? Or are they failing/ doomed?

• 
SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@dyldozzer Not at all. I think they are doing pretty amazing. I have a PS4 and it is collecting dust. There really isn't anything I want to play on it. A lot of the games are ports, AAA games that I don't really care about or indies that I prefer to play on my Vita mostly. I don't see too much different that I would want to play on Xbox One other than Forza.

Nintendo is still making games that remind me of why I got into gaming in the first place. I hate hyper-realistic graphics. I play games, honestly, to escape reality ... not to be immersed in it. I love Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta, Smash Bros., Shovel Knight, every other Mario Game, Nintendoland, everything on their VC and so much more. That's not even mentioning the entire Wii back catalog.

The 3DS is kicking major butt too. It's outselling just about everything. They are going to be making a lot of money with hardware and software from that alone.

Whether you like those games or not probably doesn't matter because they are cash cows. I bought Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and I will for Wii U also. Why? Because they are fun to play.

That's what it boils down to. A great majority of the games Nintendo puts on their consoles are extremely memorable and fun to play. They are still kings of local multiplayer, and sometimes that's a pretty awesome thing when you get several friends together.

While Sony is great and all with PS3 for me because of PSplus ... they aren't really getting too much more money from me other than my PSplus subscription. I don't see a whole lot more worth spending my cash on and really justifying it. (Last of Us was a major exception to it.) In the end, the company getting most of my money is Nintendo for Wii U games and 3DS games.

I think they always end up sneaking up and silently winning with the same strategy. They have wonderful first party games that, true, they take forever to make, but then they eventually all come out of nowhere. They end up being a blast to play. They sell multiple versions of hardware that people will buy. I do and I never regret it.

Maybe it isn't for you, but I have a whole list of Nintendo games I plan to buy from now to the end of the year. Must buys. I have a couple maybes on the other systems.

It takes something special for that to happen. I know a lot of people that would personally agree with me, but then again, my friends and I probably are pretty much on the same wavelength.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i want to answer yes...but seeing your disgusting troll face. im going to vote no.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope. Now stop doodling around and get back to Karting.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

Does Nintendo suck at marketing and making a good system? Sure.

Does Nintendo suck at making video games? No. They are at the top of their game right now. The output of Nintendo's first party is staggering. Too bad they suck at everything else cause if 3rd parties filled in those gaps between 1st party games, then the Wii U would be an AMAZING system.

Dyldozzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dyldozzer
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

@SpiderLuke: I see where your coming from man. It's not that I don't like Nintendo, I mean I play my 64 just about every other day with my friends, playing Smash Bros, Mario Party, F-Zero and so on. As for the Wii.. I truly loved every aspect of it. The fact that its also a gamecube too and you can purchase classics on the online store blew me away. I'm really just disappointed about their recent works, Such as the new Smash Bros.. Brawl was/is a great game, but i also saw it as a step down from Melee. It seemed that they tried to pack as much unnecessary things that they could, such as the outside characters Sonic and Snake. I wasn't to bothered by it in brawl, but this new one just seems ridiculous now. Its a classic Nintendo game that should remain exclusively Nintendo. It seems to me that they are throwing way to much glitter on this project, and are ruining a good game. As for Zelda my favorite series of all time, its seems that they are doing the same. At first I really wanted a Wii U, but if the games that I would expect to look forward to the most are turning out the way they seem, then I've lost my interest. As for the DS, I had the original and have no complaints, but I never really got down with the handhelds. I also own a PS4 which I find amazing, although I mainly use it for Netflix, they have some awesome indie games most of which are free. With that aside when I do play games I'm all about the classics, playing my SNES, 64 or Dream Cast. And coming from a classic gamer such as myself, I just think Nintendo's direction right now is heading the wrong way.

Dyldozzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dyldozzer
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

@KBFloYd: Thats a drawing of my actual face.. you dick.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Depends how you define failing.

Nintendo's been losing a tremendous amount of money consecutively these past three years, many people hold an apathetic and/or negative view of them (though that seems to be improving thankfully), and they are still making moronic decisions and neglecting a lot of things many gamers are desiring. 'Course, in all fairness Sony and MS aren't doing too much better with $$$ (though Sony is again bringing in profits in its gaming division this past quarter), but at least both companies operate within the modern gaming landscape and have much more consumer goodwill and interest than Ninty currently does.

So I'd say that yes, from a strictly business perspective, Nintendo's failing. Every business is failing if they do nothing but post losses year after year after year that amount to nearly a billion dollars. That ain't success.

Speaking from a products viewpoint, that's entirely subjective, and personally I'm fairly fatigued of their offerings so to me they are largely failing in that respect also. Of all the games on the U I've only really enjoyed Pikmin 3, and am only looking forward to Zelda and the new Metroid which we don't even know is coming. I've never felt so "meh" towards what Nintendo's doing at anytime in their existence as I do with them currently.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

No the 3ds is selling like hot cakes and wiiu has the best games it will turn profit when its all said and done and I expect Wii 3 to be even better

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Considering it has a more appealing lineup than any of the other consoles, I'd say no. Plus the DS stuff. yeah definitely not.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Well if Nintendo themselves has already admitted that the system is failing idk why your even asking anyone on here.. There are already a few articles where the CEO's of the company have admitted it and have taken salary hits..

Your only going to get positive responses on here for Nintendo.. <no offence to anyone on here.

Also the game cube even outsold it within the same period of sales of launch which is very bad..

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/23/wii-u-sales-tracking-50-less-than-gamecube-one-tenth-of-wii-4706243/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendos-ceo-takes-50-percent-pay-cut/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-we-are-to-blame-for-poor-wii-u-sales/1100-6410425/

It's so bad that not even a 10.0 rated game is selling well or other 3rd party titles..

You would have to be crazy to be a 3rd party developing for a game for Nintendo's console.

http://kotaku.com/bayonetta-2s-sales-are-depressing-1638976847 <I'd be shocked if it did any better in the USA.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@big_mak523 said:

Does Nintendo suck at making video games? No. They are at the top of their game right now. The output of Nintendo's first party is staggering. Too bad they suck at everything else cause if 3rd parties filled in those gaps between 1st party games, then the Wii U would be an AMAZING system.

This to the max! And on marketing I would say only in regards to launching/advertising the Wii U. Game ads seem to come easy to them. If the next gen system is with the industry standard and they get the third party (at least on Gamecube levels) then I think they would win gen 9.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@Bardock47 said:

@big_mak523 said:

This to the max! And on marketing I would say only in regards to launching/advertising the Wii U. Game ads seem to come easy to them. If the next gen system is with the industry standard and they get the third party (at least on Gamecube levels) then I think they would win gen 9.

Yeah, I agree here too. They don't really do well with marketing except for maybe in their own systems.

I also want to say that I love their Nintendo social community network on the systems. It's almost like Facebook, but just for all the gamers. lol

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

No. Nintendo is in the midst of a resurrection.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Anyone who says Nintendo isn't failing is a moron

Yes, they're doing badly and things needs to change quickly. So far everything they've done this year to counteract their previous mistakes have failed, they need something big and they need it soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Yes, they're doing badly and things needs to change quickly. So far everything they've done this year to counteract their previous mistakes have failed, they need something big and they need it soon.

You just described the entire industry.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Not everyone thinks solely in terms of the business side, though. Nintendo can succeed on a personal level even if they're not knocking it out of the park financially. They're keeping me happy, so that's a success as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not going to use that as an argument that everything is just great for Nintendo. Obviously they need to improve. But it's not like Nintendo is falling on their face with everything they do.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#17  Edited By wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Because Nothing says Nintendo is failing the industry like a cast of 50 characters in smash bros, 2 of them being Pacman and Wii Fit Trainer -___-

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#18 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

What the heck are you talking about? The Wii U is doing better than it ever has. Mario Kart 8 has been selling consoles and Super Smash Bros Wii U will do just the same.

Hyrule Warriors is also an awesome game. It's a great Zelda game to hold people off until the actual one comes out in awhile.

What's wrong with the characters in Smash Bros U? PacMan is a great selection and so is the Wii Fit Trainer. Don't knock what you haven't tried. There's plenty of other options to choose from if you don't like that character.

You're probably just trolling though.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

## Nintendo is not failing. In the sense that they are going out of business and bankrupt. The 3DS series since 2011 has sold 45 Million units of 3DS/3DSXL/2DS/New3DS/New3DSLL plus ton of software for the 3DS series of Handheld systems. Compared to Sony's PSvita 1000/2000 which has only sold just under 10 Million units 9.8 million since 2011.

Nintendo is doing quite well on the portable game system front.

As for the Wii U Nintendo is experiencing the ""lean years"" regarding 3rd party game developer support. Nintendo seems to have just 4 active 3rd party developers working on Wii U games. The Wii U has only managed to sell 7.8 million consoles since November 18th 2012 With under 1 month to go before Nintendo Wii U. second birthday. So The Wii U is selling worse that the PSvita and the Sega DreamCast when it was at the 23rd month mark.

So the Wii U is not doing well in sales thus far. 7.8 Million in almost 2 years on the market is bad. But Bayonetta 2 has gotten great reviews and Mario Kart 8 seems to have managed to sell just over 1 million units. And should eventually provide sales success as other installments have done.

So Nintendo is doing alright but not great or even close to outstanding. But they are not doomed or failed/dying at this point. The Wii U is on track to be Nintendo's lowest selling home console out of the 6 released thus far. But 8th Generation is just 1 years old in proper terms. So the Wii U may sell 16 - 17 million consoles during it's total lifespan.

Nintendo is down but not out. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes like Sony did with the PS3 and Nintendo can get back on track in the 9th Generation of Games. Until then the Big N will soldier on though the lean years like they did with the N64 and Gamecube.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

They ask this question every generation, and the answer has never been 'yes'.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Depends how you define failing.

My point exactly. I don't think either of Nintendo's two current platforms have come close to meeting their original expectations, and looking forward, it's hard to see where the positive change is going to come from. Now we can talk about individual preferences and whatnot all day long, but at the end of the day, they're nothing more than just that: preferences. Now, as Haziq and Mirko alluded to, it's not like the industry as a whole is particularly healthy at this point in time, and honestly, I think it's the result of bold measures that have been embraced by the HD/AAA era of gaming, which Nintendo is also now a part of. To be honest, though, Nintendo has made some pretty bad decisions of late, and in spite of that, I still don't think the company has a clue why its downfall has happened or how it can fix it. On the other hand, neither does the rest of the ethnocentric video game industry; it will just band together and say that Nintendo's prior success with the DS and Wii was the result of some alien invasion.

Personally, I'm just waiting for Nintendo to put together the right deal on the table where I finally feel comfortable getting either a Wii U or 3DS, but the fact that I'm now just getting to this point shows my own discontent in Nintendo's direction. Sure, it's better than the complete disinterest I have in the other three active major platforms on the market of Sony's and Microsoft's, but it still speaks volumes of how far I believe Nintendo has fallen from just a few short years ago.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Nintendo failing, depends on what you mean by that.

Financially the company is breaking even, or close to it. They've enough money to take losses like they have been for years, and should be enough time to put out at least one more console, maybe two before changing their position in the video game market. I myself doubt they'll go multiplatform but I can see them maybe abandoning the console for strictly dominating the handheld market. I think they'll regain their success though if they ever make dramatic move to better their position, but I don't think they'll ever go away for good.

As far as Wii U and 3DS go, the 3DS sales took a plummet this year. There's still potential for pick up but things aren't matching the stellar performance of the Nintendo DS. The Wii U however is picking up some, not great but not nearly in the hole Nintendo was in prior. This is important I think because I feel Nintendo's success with the DS accompanied strong brand recognition and support with the success of the Wii. Without that same support for the Wii U, I feel the accompanying support for the 3DS has suffered, and vice versa.

On a critical level, Nintendo has been getting great reception on their their games for both the 3DS and Wii U, so their obviously successful on that end. It's just commercially they're not nearly as successful.

On the whole, I'd say no, Nintendo isn't failing, they made mistakes with the Wii U and 3DS and I think they've worked well to deal with them. They maintained support for their systems when publishers didn't and that means something, that means they're in it for the long run. If they had cut their losses and tried releasing something else they'd ruin themselves, they'd of abandoned their loyal fanbase and killed any consumer support or confidence in them. The fact they're attempting to make the most of a horrible situation and succeeding at delivering quality games to those that do support them leaves me confident they'll one day get back on their feet.

Still, Nintendo does frustrate me on many levels. For instance they need to really revamp how they handle digital rights. They need a unified account, so if say you buy Metroid on the 3DS you get to play it on the Wii U. They need to expand on the systems they support for their eShop VC on both the 3DS and Wii U. They're super slow at e-publishing. Their rights transfer system is horrible, requires both units which makes things awful for people that lose their systems, or want to trade in for newer systems. All that aside though I love them.