Is it just me or does Galaxy start to get a little repetetive?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts

I don't know, but I'm something like 24 or 25 stars into the game, and I guess it's just starting to feel like I'm doing the same thing over and over again....So the procedure goes....Go to the observatory place to pick your level (or star to go for, or whatever), you go to get it, once you get it you come back....Same procedure. Many times you'll go through a level and right near the end you'll come across one of those guys who you could feed stars to get to a new little area to get that "hidden" star....Then you'll have to do the level over again to get the main star...

Anyway, probably a developing annoyance has to be how you just go back and forth to that dome thing whenever you get a star. I wish it could just stay in the level to let you get the other star, instead of having to go back and do everything over again to get the side star....

Dialogue is pretty annoying. Especially when you bust open a crystal with a mushroom guy in in, and he'll always say something stupid, like "thank's a bunch!!! Go get 'em!!!" or whatever have you.

So to sum it up, the game is just a bit too predictable and you'll start to wish for something new in terms of gameplay, because as far as I can see you just continuously follow the same procedure and it starts to get boring....Though overall it's a great game, I'm starting to think it will get sluggish down the line until I beat the game. Anyone else know what I'm talking about.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
it can get repetitive, especially with the early stars... you're right. but it's just a fun game...
taco1881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 taco1881
Member since 2006 • 131 Posts

So according to you every game ever is repetitive. FPS - You go in a room shoot a bunch of people, rinse repeat, Adventure - You go in a room find something, rinse repeat, Sports - You play a game, rinse repeat.

The point of the game is to find a bunch of stars, every board is different, your argument makes no sense.

Abstract_Choas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Abstract_Choas
Member since 2008 • 466 Posts
I think the later stars are much more challenging and are not repettive like the first 30 or so. It really is just a fun game, repetitive? sometimes yes, but fun none the less
Zombie_Eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zombie_Eric
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
Have you ever played a 3D Mario before? What you've described is the basic premise for one.
camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts

So according to you every game ever is repetitive. FPS - You go in a room shoot a bunch of people, rinse repeat, Adventure - You go in a room find something, rinse repeat, Sports - You play a game, rinse repeat.

The point of the game is to find a bunch of stars, every board is different, your argument makes no sense.

taco1881
Well I guess I worded that a little strangely but what I should have said was more like....You go into a level and do the same thing, with the only difference being differently shaped obstacles you jump around through....To be more specific.
scottie300z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 scottie300z
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts
It is repetitive but you should keep playing b/c it gate a bit better one you double the # of stars you have now.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I'm up to 80 stars and nothing has been repetative. Every level is so uniquely designed. Love the stand alone galaxies that are a nice change of pace. The variety in the comets also keep things from getting dull. The only thing I can see getting dull and repetative is the soon to come purple coin challenge that I have yet to open up.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="taco1881"]

camreeno360

Well I guess I worded that a little strangely but what I should have said was more like....You go into a level and do the same thing, with the only difference being differently shaped obstacles you jump around through....To be more specific.

So you don't like the HUB? Thats like saying GTA is repetative because you have to drive to a house, watch a cut scene, do a mission, then go to another house, etc etc.

And now you're complaining that its all the shaped obstacles? Its a platformer. Your complaints are asinine. The level design is brilliant. You have no idea how much work went into creating these highly imaginative levels.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
After doing the first star and going for the second, I turned off the Wii due to pure boredom.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I personally think that all Mario games tend to be repetitive, but I still like them a lot.
ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts

i got 53 stars atm and i have to say that it's still a lot of fun and almost each level is unique. but i agree on some parts: i can't see that animation anymore where mario catches the star. couldn't they design like 3 animations at least? and it sucks that u return back to the ship and have to run to the level again etc.

aswell, the dialogue system is horrible.

Itsthetruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Itsthetruth
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

the game will introduce new galaxies and rooms in a repetitive fashion, pick stars, unlock, pick stars. But every star is a different experience, so the parts that you actually play are not repetitive. Does knowing how the game rewards you and what will happen next makes it repetitive when the actual levels you play are so much fun?

Then theres no need to buy Galaxy or any of the previous marios: from NES to SNES you unlock new levels by completing the previous and in the end you save the princess. In N64, GC and Wii you unlock new levels by collecting starts in previous levels and in the end you save the princess. (***spoilers!***)

But one thing i have to admit, the initial part with the story and the initial starts of the game are quite boring. I think it's all that cutscene and too-much-text-skipping beggining that ruins the experience. And most of my favourite levels are in the last galaxies of the game.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide

I'll say one thing. Why do they always ask me if I want the 5 free lives at the beginning? OF COURSE I WANT THEM! Who on earth ever says no?

Same with saving after you get a star. Who ever clicks no? Saving should be automatic. Stop asking me!

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
I feel the same way. I found myself getting extremely bored at times.
AndYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 AndYOU
Member since 2005 • 6712 Posts

Mario games(2D or 3D) have never really been about doing smething new every time. In 3D, it's pick your level, complete it, then do the next one, and repeat the process. With 2D Mario games, it's pretty much the basis of getting trhough a level, then do the next one

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
That's platforming for you. The platforms are in different spots and timed further appart every level. The shapes of the platforms are changed and have different graphics on it... You have to find different ways to get to those different platforms... The good thing is you can relive the whole thing again with poor play control if you finish it with Mario! Hang in there... or go buy another game.
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

The premise of the game is repetitive, so I can understand why you get bored with it...I have at times too. But, nearly every level is a new experience, so I found it to be worth it to keep going. Most of the time, I'm having fun with it.

And to whoever said his argument doesn't work...sure it does, because almost every game IS repetitive. Which is why I get bored before reaching the end with the vast majority of them.

fyor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fyor
Member since 2005 • 665 Posts

After doing the first star and going for the second, I turned off the Wii due to pure boredom.Jazunn

must be a childhood disease your boredom

fuzz06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fuzz06
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts
i got to 50 stars and got very bored. I taking a break from it and hope I come back to it sooner or later.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raahsnavj

[QUOTE="Jazunn"]After doing the first star and going for the second, I turned off the Wii due to pure boredom.fyor

I'm sure they have a drug for it now-a-days. Try asking your doctor.
actionquake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 actionquake
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts
It is repetitive by its very nature. Repitition is not in itself a bad thing, all games rely on you doing the same things over and over again, in fact it is generally considered bad game design to introduce too many new game mechanics too quickly. I think SMG avoids becoming boring by constantly introducing you to new areas, subtle new mechanics, new uses for old mechanics, and by gradually ramping up the difficulty. The difficulty curve is pretty shallow at first though, which can make the early levels a little boring as they lack challenge for a lot of gamers, but once you progress to a point where your skill level and the difficulty match up the game is excellent.
XBASX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XBASX
Member since 2003 • 643 Posts
I loved every second of it.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy is probably the best Mario game i've played to date...in my personal opinion. And of course i'm a casual gamer, maybe 2 hours a day...but dear lord is it fun!
Dualmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 Dualmask
Member since 2004 • 1639 Posts

I have to admit that while Galaxy is an incredibly well-designed game, after playing through Mario 64 and Sunshine, I didn't feel all that compelled to go through the entirety of Galaxy. I'm sure there are some great galaxies to be found and some stellar gameplay waiting in the later half of the game, but at the moment I don't feel like chugging through it. I have this thing where I have less interest in the next game in a series after playing more than two or three of them. I've abandoned Advance Wars (although I think Days of Ruin looks great) and most fighting games for the same reason. But I still have Galaxy and maybe after a long break from it (perhaps once I've finished No More Heroes at least once) I'll be interested in seeing it through.

Repetitive? Sure, but in a way all games are. Mario certainly isn't repetitive compared to some other games I've played recently though.

CheeChee_Macko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CheeChee_Macko
Member since 2008 • 2236 Posts
I just happy that Mario finally got his own game after debuting in Super Mario Golf.
SHACKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SHACKR
Member since 2007 • 1226 Posts

I got the same situation. I'm at 56 stars, but it's just getting bored from it. Haven't played since the day I got Guitar Hero III, and I just can't get myself to go back to it.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#28 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
Even though a lot will harshly disagree with you, I agree a little, but the repetition is acceptable if the repetitiveness brings fun.
smithy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29 smithy92
Member since 2005 • 896 Posts
Yeah however it's the same for the other 3D marios. Remember that every star you're hunting is a big adventure. My expectations for this game was: I would get lost in all the planets. I where wrong.
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts
as much as the next game... doesn't mean it's not fun to do it again
smithy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 smithy92
I really which there was more galaxies and secret courses from Sunshine.
smithy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 smithy92
I really wish there was more galaxies and secret courses from Sunshine. But still, it's an amazing game.
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jazunn
[QUOTE="fyor"]

[QUOTE="Jazunn"]After doing the first star and going for the second, I turned off the Wii due to pure boredom.raahsnavj

Of course, if I don't like repetitive and pedantic platforming I miust be crazy? /sigh

SMG is the same as Mario 64 which I found boring 10 years ago.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 raahsnavj
[QUOTE="raahsnavj"][QUOTE="fyor"]

[QUOTE="Jazunn"]After doing the first star and going for the second, I turned off the Wii due to pure boredom.Jazunn

Of course, if I don't like repetitive and pedantic platforming I miust be crazy? /sigh

I never said you were crazy, I was mocking the fact people think some drug can fix anything. My main advice still stands, get different game. No game 'must' be for everyone.
makaveli_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 makaveli_89
Member since 2006 • 3415 Posts
it's as if you've dumbed down the whole game by putting it like that. Your statements are too general.
jimbo-b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36 jimbo-b
Member since 2005 • 260 Posts
I have to disagree... and even if some of the game is kinda boring or easy, it's still just a blast to play. Some parts of it are sheer brilliance
Avatar image for Stonetowerghost
Stonetowerghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#37 Stonetowerghost
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts

It makes perfect sense, and don't explode on the guy as if he just did you a great personal wrong; it doesn't make your argument seem any more sophisticated.

Going backward and forward is repetitive, yes. This is how the 3D Mario games have always been. However, each new mission takes you down a different path, a different puzzle, or a different goal all together. This makes for variety within each level, and that aleviates a lot of repetitiveness from using the same method of drawn out transit.

Just keep playing, and I'm sure you'll warm up to it.

fyor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fyor
Member since 2005 • 665 Posts

[QUOTE="Jazunn"]After doing the first star and going for the second, I turned off the Wii due to pure boredom.Jazunn

so why did u even bothered playng it if u dont like platforms....u sound like a basher to me

actionquake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 actionquake
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts

Pedantic platforming? Care to explain what you mean? And how do you know it is repetative, pedantic and just like Mario64 after playing it for 3 or 4 minutes? Judging and dismissing a world class game after 5 minutes playtime IS crazy, finding SMG boring after a couple of hours isn't. See the difference?

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jazunn
[QUOTE="Jazunn"][QUOTE="raahsnavj"][QUOTE="fyor"]

[QUOTE="Jazunn"]After doing the first star and going for the second, I turned off the Wii due to pure boredom.actionquake

Pedantic platforming? Care to explain what you mean? And how do you know it is repetative, pedantic and just like Mario64 after playing it for 3 or 4 minutes? Judging and dismissing a world class game after 5 minutes playtime IS crazy, finding SMG boring after a couple of hours isn't. See the difference?

I was at my brother in law's house. I watched him play for an hour or two. He was running around picking up purple coins in one level. He was running around in some sand level doing some kind of a timed run.

He needed to go to bed so I tried. I ran around in the first level and beat it. I then started the second level and found it quite boring. I am sure the game gets a lot more challenging but it was far from the most innovative, fresh & original game it was hyped up to be... It was the same old mario doing the same old things...

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
I'm up to 80 stars and nothing has been repetative. Every level is so uniquely designed. Love the stand alone galaxies that are a nice change of pace. The variety in the comets also keep things from getting dull. The only thing I can see getting dull and repetative is the soon to come purple coin challenge that I have yet to open up. Bread_or_Decide
trust me it's not what you think, they are the hardest challanges in the game.
Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
i dont know it might to you guys but not to me I thought it was great
manueru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 manueru
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts
all games are repetetive, just enjoy them and forget that
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
I really don't know what I should do. I have SMG still in it's wrapper and I don't know if I should open it or not because I really didn't like Super Mario Sunshine because it pissed me off.
Wii60Joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wii60Joe
Member since 2008 • 370 Posts
I got 98 stars and im not bored of it
Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
I admit.. I don't find the game as exciting as everyone else... its very cool with the Wii mote and such.. but its cause I'm not a fan of 3D Mario.. didn't like 64 either... I loved all the 2D ones... I still have more fun playing those than Galaxy.
Sckepptickal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sckepptickal
Member since 2006 • 288 Posts

taco1881

If you really read what you say, you're being a total hypocrite. FPS-Every room is different. Adventure- You go find something, each time, somewhere different...etc. The exact same applies to Galaxy. And I love that game, but it DOES get repetitive. Yes, every star is different. But it's just another level. The only TRULY original thing about Galaxy is the idea of gravity change and walking around on small spherical objects.

Miisterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Miisterr
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts

i think i might understand you feelings.. (not really) but if its what i think... your life should get boring to you in about 24-25 days- why? cuz its repetitive!! you always go to bed and sleep then you wake up.. everyday you eat and go to the bathroom.. just like mario goes to the obserbatory and then to diff galaxies to recolect stars.. and also: everday talk is repetitive! you just say words over and over again (like the stupid toad things that you rescue)!!

PD: dude you only have 25 stars.. you havent really LIVED the game(if you know what i mean.. :P

monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts
well i toughen it out and made it to the end..i wouldnt play it again though
scottie300z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 scottie300z
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts

i think i might understand you feelings.. (not really) but if its what i think... your life should get boring to you in about 24-25 days- why? cuz its repetitive!! you always go to bed and sleep then you wake up.. everyday you eat and go to the bathroom.. just like mario goes to the obserbatory and then to diff galaxies to recolect stars.. and also: everday talk is repetitive! you just say words over and over again (like the stupid toad things that you rescue)!!

PD: dude you only have 25 stars.. you havent really LIVED the game(if you know what i mean.. :P

Miisterr

Not really, you learn and have new experiences all the time. At least I hope you do.