Is downloading ROMs of previously-owned games illegal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for competentwombat
CompetentWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CompetentWombat
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Greetings, everyone.

So, I've seen a lot of mixed answers on this subject and I decided it'd be best just to start yet another thread on this topic.

Anyway, as the title states, I wanted to play some N64 games that I played when I was a kid. I had an N64 and bought several games for it legally, but I ended up giving the console and games to some relatives.

I know it's illegal to download ROMs of games that you already own, but it's 100% legal to rip the ROMs from the cartridges/discs themselves to use as a backup or whatever. But what if you payed for the game previously but don't own it anymore? Would that be considered a "backup" or would it still be illegal?

Thanks for your time.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

it is mate. uploading, downloading, emulating, etc, its all illegal. it use to be a rumor (although false) that you could download/upload/emulate etc roms of games you own, but Nintendo has stated that this is false.

Here is Nintendo's Legal Information

there is a gray area though i think, you could create your own device to rip the roms and then create your own device to emulate the roms that you own. but using a device or program from someone else would be illegal.

Avatar image for competentwombat
CompetentWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CompetentWombat
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@iandizion713: Thanks for providing a good and clear answer. Have a good weekend

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Yes, but nobody will go after you for thhat.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#5  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Yes - having them even posted on the internet is illegal. So in a way, you can argue that the crime has already been made ;-)

Not that I use them at all.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

Its legality doesn't matter, noone will go after you for downloading roms of games that came out 15-20 years ago, and you are not hurting developers by buying games that don't make them money anymore. As long as the game can't make money for its developer I have no problem emulating anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Illegal discussion of ROMs and Emulators isn't permitted on Gamespot. Locking.