Is an 8 GB SD card good enough?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kenny789 (10160 posts) -

Ever since WiiWare launched, I only downloaded about 5 titles. I plan to catch up on all the VC and WiiWare goodness and I was wondering if 8 GB is good enough? I also download a lot of songs for RB/GH and will most likely transfer all my songs from my 2GB card once RB3 comes out. Thanks :)

#2 Posted by killab2oo5 (13621 posts) -
I believe the cap for WiiWare titles are 40mb, so that should be more than enough. 8192mb/40mb=204 WiiWare titles.
#3 Posted by ChocoboKilla (5 posts) -

should be more than enough

#4 Posted by Jelley0 (1867 posts) -

I have 2gb and it's enough

#5 Posted by sheepradish (2242 posts) -

Jelley0

how many games do you have stored on it?

#6 Posted by wes008 (802 posts) -

Eh, unless they updated it with the black Wii, the Wii's slot can only read standard SD cards, not SDHC. In other words, nothing above 2gigs. I have a 2gb micro sd card in my wii and while I don't have as many games as you plan to get, it's enough. Also 40mb/ I never realized the cap was so small! It's a wonder how they fit some of the games into that.

#7 Posted by Rocky32189 (8996 posts) -
I have a 2GB card with over 60 games and a bunch of Guitar Hero songs. 8GB is way more than you'll ever need.
#8 Posted by Zanoh (6942 posts) -

I got a 32 gb so I have an overkill of what I need. XD

#9 Posted by dazzzilla (1246 posts) -

Eh, unless they updated it with the black Wii, the Wii's slot can only read standard SD cards, not SDHC. In other words, nothing above 2gigs. I have a 2gb micro sd card in my wii and while I don't have as many games as you plan to get, it's enough. Also 40mb/ I never realized the cap was so small! It's a wonder how they fit some of the games into that.

wes008

No the wii's been able to use SDHC since the 4.0 update back in April Last year? well before the black wii.

#10 Posted by AlmightyDerek (4144 posts) -

wes008
The Wii has been able to read SDHC cards for over a year with firmware update 4.0. The system itself and Guitar Hero 5 can read up to 32GB cards. Some games like Beatles Rock Band can read up to 8GB cards and all older games that could read up to 2GB still can read only 2GB cards because the games weren't future proofed. To answer the question 8GB should be enough. That's what I use and I have about 40 Wiiware/ Virtual Console games and about 120 Guitar Hero songs. I think my card still has about 3GB of space left over after all that. If you can find a cheap 16GB card it might help just in case. I don't know if Rock Band 3 will support a card that big as Harmonix doesn't usually like to max out the Wii's potential like Vicarious Visions does for Guitar Hero on the Wii. So I'd say go for 8GB to ensure compatibility with Rock Band, and keep a 2GB one around for all the older games like Smash Bros and Excite Truck that can only use 2GB cards.
#11 Posted by TheColbert (3842 posts) -

Jelley0
Same here. Plenty of space.
#12 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I have 4 GB SDHC and it is enough for me.

I use it for my DSi and Wii.

#13 Posted by dkrustyklown (2387 posts) -

Yes, 8 GB should be plenty of space unless you plan on downloading a couple hundred VC games.

#14 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24250 posts) -

8 gigs is awesome.

#15 Posted by chris3116 (12174 posts) -

I have 76 games on a 2GB card. I just passed the half of the card. It's enough. And I was planning to download over 5GB of games with 2 SD cards.

#16 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

I have 1GB :P I win

#17 Posted by bob_newman (8129 posts) -

It's overkill. But it is nice to have a big memory card lying around the house should you ever need it. If it's on sale or something go for it, otherwise just get a 2gb stick.

#18 Posted by Kenny789 (10160 posts) -
Thanks guys. Actually I have a 2 GB card with about 80 Rock Band songs and there's only about 1000 blocks left. The 8 GB I got wasn't on sale, it was actually more expensive than I thought it'd be :P but I got it anyway cause I really needed the space. I was gonna get 16 GB but they had none. Good to know that the 8 GB will last me a long time :)